Pullstart

One of a kind Wheel Horse Ride Away Senior

ACman

I believe the case/ihc is a little darker and remember if you get implement paint it usually dries slower . Definitely don’t need adverse reactions happening at this point . 

• Excellent 2

Pullstart
1 hour ago, davem1111 said:

I haven't heard of this "grease trick" yet - what is it? :eusa-think:

anything you don’t want paint to stick to grease it.  It’ll wipe away when finished!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Achto
1 hour ago, ACman said:

believe the case/ihc is a little darker and remember if you get implement paint it usually dries slower . Definitely

The earlier Farmall (pre 1949) IH50 paint is a bit darker yet than the Case/ IH IH2150 paint. Haven't seen the Farmall paint on the shelf in a long time though.

Edited by Achto

Achto

@Pullstart, do you have a body shop or a jobber near by that mixes paint? You could take one of your body panels to them and have them mix a correct match for you.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, Achto said:

@Pullstart, do you have a body shop or a jobber near by that mixes paint? You could take one of your body panels to them and have them mix a correct match for you.

I’m just doing the drums in the rear for now… to make the “new wheels” effect pop a little more.  If we ever do a full resto, I’ll go that route :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Excellent 1

Pullstart

Hey @Achto what say you?  Obviously we’re not talking a class A panel.  How much more red should I take off here?  I’ll be getting down to bare metal before it’s all gone I bet!

192C5132-8680-4015-8419-7F61E17A798B.jpeg

8D3C122A-18A9-4158-9FC1-1061403E1718.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Achto
11 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

How much more red should I take off here?

That depends on how smooth you want the finish. Looks like a fair amount minor of pitting yet. Could stop where you are at and let some of the history shine through. If you hit some bare metal, just spray a coat of self etching over it right before painting.

If you want a smooth finish. Then you may have to get it as smooth as you can right now, hog some more primer on it, and wet sand it again. 

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2

ACman

This reminds me as a kid trying to get or 29 Allis Chalmers model U ready for the Wauseon Ohio show . That year they were featuring Chalmers and we were on a big deadline to get it done. I remember digging out that old nasty grease. First tractor to have air tires and we had the oldest one there plus the only one on rubber tires .

Edited by ACman
  • Like 1

Handy Don
4 hours ago, davem1111 said:

I haven't heard of this "grease trick" yet - what is it? :eusa-think:

Paint won't stick to grease. A light grease coating on, say, the inside bore of the wheel hub lets you simply wipe off any "overspray" after you're done.

I'll be using that trick to keep the spindle bores of the RM-366 mower deck plate paint-free without having to try to tape them off. (Paint first; install bearings later :))

• Thanks 1

Handy Don
3 hours ago, Achto said:

stop where you are at and let some of the history shine through

I like this suggestion!

953 nut
4 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Obviously we’re not talking a class A panel.  How much more red should I take off here?

:twocents-02cents:                 I would spray some satin clear and call it done!          Patina rules!

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
13 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:twocents-02cents:                 I would spray some satin clear and call it done!          Patina rules!

Yeah, wrong tractor for making patina though…. Well in our eyes :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Pullstart

I’m not sure if the IH red is any darker but it’s on!

23C9C74C-E69C-458D-82EC-48CCF568903E.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

My paint tray :lol:

Self etching primer applied, next is Antique White!

D42A512E-08B5-40A3-816C-1BAF86D35274.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

Coat #1

049D2BD6-5A8C-4654-B221-075F8D602708.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

19richie66
15 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

I’m not sure if the IH red is any darker but it’s on!

Looks fine! Roll with it.:handgestures-thumbupright: Is that a 520 swept a le I see laying back there?

Edited by 19richie66
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
4 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Looks fine! Roll with it.:handgestures-thumbupright: Is that a 520 swept a le I see laying back there?

good eye!  I THINK I figured out where it’ll land too!

• Haha 1

Pullstart

• Like 2

8ntruck

Good thread.  Both front tires on Clyde are leaking.  I am fed up enough with them that I am going to order some ribbed tires for him.  I can't make myself put new tires on the crusty wheels, so they will need to be refinished.  Think I'll follow your guide here. 

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 3

rjg854
1 hour ago, 8ntruck said:

I am going to order some robbed tires 

What's the website for robbed tires, can you get them cheap that way. :confusion-scratchheadblue:

:ychain:   :laughing-rolling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

8ntruck
2 hours ago, rjg854 said:

What's the website for robbed tires, can you get them cheap that way. :confusion-scratchheadblue:

:ychain:   :laughing-rolling:

Dang auto spell correction!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

rjg854

happens me more than I want to say :text-lol:

Pullstart
6 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

happens me more than I want to say :text-lol:

I’m glad it happens you Randy :handgestures-thumbupright:

Back to the Senior progress.  Specifically the right front spindle’s vertical slop. I went to the hardware store yesterday for some 1” round shims, thrust washers, anything.  They had no idea.   Trying to sell me wooden contractor shims.  I found a 5 pack of 1” thrust washers straight from George of the Jungle for $10 and they’ll be here tomorrow.  It’s kind of hard not to fall into their corporate gains when I can’t find what I need locally from the trusted hardware source. 

I’m letting the paint on the wheels cure in the hot sun for a couple days and will start mounting tires.  I’ve got the mini tire changer clamped to the shop lift arm and can use the big tire changer for the rears.  

I also (thanks to @953 nut for turning me on to this product) ordered some tire lubricant for easy mounting.  Hopefully I don’t wreck these fresh painted rollers!

F5974B27-8A80-4917-8DD8-C6B5F822D9EA.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don

7.7 pounds? Man, that'll lube a lot of tires, I suspect.

Pullstart
3 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

7.7 pounds? Man, that'll lube a lot of tires, I suspect.

I have a feeling it has a pretty long shelf life… and many tires get changed here in the shop… for tractors and automotive purposes :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1