WHX??

Milwaukee M-18 Batteries

WHX??

Any body got a good source for these at a reasonable price. I know Milwaukee Tool is quite proud of them. More than I paid for the tool. I see OEM's on the jungle site and also cheaper knock offs. Any body try the knockoffs?

I know @pullstart is a Milwaukee fan.

Pullstart

I just buy another set if I need batteries... more drills, another charger, considered free with the purchase of batteries!  I buy from a local tool provider, now Colony Tool, previously Fasteners, Inc.  Like JD, I have this feeling that box store stuff might not be professional stuff through and through.

• Like 6

SylvanLakeWH

:text-yeahthat:

Not sure but I think @pullstart is right... I’ve gotten batteries from big box and actual tool stores and seems tool stuff is better...

Same approach though - buy a set on sale get the charger and tools for free...

• Like 3

WHX??

Thought of that but then aren't you changing batteries from tool to tool constantly?

82Caddy

Do you use Facebook at all (I know it’s the devil and a terrible place)? There are several groups of people that sell brand new batteries and tools for far less then you can buy from a big box store for. 

I recently bought a pair of brand new 6.0 HO M18 batteries for 130$ shipped to my door. Had them in 2 days from when I ordered. That same battery set is currently 219 plus tax at Home Depot. 

• Thanks 1

rjg854

I've gotten most of my M-18 batteries off flea-bay auctions, and I only use the Milwaukee brand, most I've gotten good deals on and they seem to be holding up well.  I prefer the 9.0's

WHX??

I have a couple of small ones 2's or 3 Ah which are worn out but useless when they were new and have a couple of 6's that are about had it. 

Are the 9's real heavy Randy? Bet they last abit. I see they even have 12's --- over 200 a piece for them tho! 

10 hours ago, 82Caddy said:

Do you use Facebook at all

No I don't Caddy... wife does tho. 

Tempted to pull the trigger on the jungle site knockoffs just to see what shakes but a guy I know bought knockoffs in the DeWalt flavor and had one blow up in the charger! 

ACman

Jim have you thought or got a price of having them rebuilt . We had a guy in AnnArbor that did it for about half the cost of new one and used better batteries .

Edited by ACman

rjg854
10 hours ago, WHX24 said:

Are the 9's real heavy Randy? Bet they last abit. 

They are a bit heavier, but for tools like a grinder, circular saw, sawzall , they last a lot longer. Drills and small impacts, I use 4.0 and 5.0

• Thanks 1

echris
13 hours ago, WHX24 said:

Tempted to pull the trigger on the jungle site knockoffs just to see what shakes but a guy I know bought knockoffs in the DeWalt flavor and had one blow up in the charger! 

I don't know about tool batteries specifically, but I can tell you without a doubt don't buy knockoff laptop batteries. I've had so many customers over the years complain the $30 battery they bought is crap.
I once had a knockoff nearly catch fire in my computer workshop. Something smelled really bad, like burning electronics bad, turned the laptop over and the case for the battery was melting.

Don't buy no-name lith-ion batteries. It's not worth it.

Lithium Ion batteries are an extremely volatile concoction. Dell, HP, Milwaukee, DeWalt etc all go through great pains to make them safe and last long. That's why they're 3x the price of the no-name brands.

If it's a Ni-Cad, or NiMh, give it a whirl. Worst that happens is it sucks. Not so with Lith-Ion.

WHX??

Good food for thought ther Chris:handgestures-thumbupright:

Lane Ranger

I like the Milwaukee brand drills too!   I don’t have any of the M-18 battery operated tools but my first really good drill with plenty of torque  is a Milwaukee!

It impressed me a lot when working on rusty Wheel Horse mower decks when removing those 3/8 hex bolts from the spindle housings!  I about ripped my right arm out of the socket first time I twisted the drill in a torque spiral!

I recently bought a M-12 battery operated small drill ( really a big screwdriver) for use on all the  household duties.   It works great and has adjustable torque.  

Good work tools are worth what you pay for them if they do the job!

C493764B-BF05-470F-999F-3947DB4DC392.jpeg

E6A3F5F2-D6A6-4440-B78E-8CB0DB768B31.jpeg

3FA7CB45-F6FD-4506-B60B-B6E1145A7A9A.jpeg

71F756E6-CB3C-455C-8784-A5BDEB163E02.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Wow great minds think alike Lane! I have that same power drill from pre-cordless days. I use it for power starting the old Kohler genny with the globe like you have. 

I also have that same M-12 tool and is priceless in what I do at work. All furnaces can be serviced with a 5/16 and 1/4 nut driver and this fits the bill. Always in my tool sack! 

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

I was at Home Depot today and looked into prices on the M-18 batteries! 

Yes it is an eye opener!   $149.00 for the single and $219.00 for the double set!

2367AA20-E6FD-4B25-98A2-22A15E1B88B7.jpeg.0a7467615b50935d3671685292cbd97d.jpeg9820C674-A0D7-4A44-B0BD-B907D2B23111.jpeg.cd95790eee7c7b1559959a122228c9e9.jpeg

• Sad 2

82Caddy

I run 5.0 or 6.0’s in drills and impacts. I use a 9.0 or 12.0 in the rocket light. The smaller 2.0 or 3.0 are great for the finish or crown nailer. 

Those prices are why I do not buy batteries from there. 

4DE4DA5E-87A5-4FE2-B62F-C649098F9DA9.png

The Tuul Crib

Sorry guys ! Im gunna have to chime

in and say l like the yellow ones. 
I have been thru the whole variety 

of drills and ive come back to dewalt.

I once knew a rep that worked for Dewalt told me that all the stuff in HD are 

recon . I bought two or three tools 

from them with in a year had to go to 

the tool repair shop. Im not sure why

Old Mill is so high.

squonk
On 10/21/2020 at 8:44 AM, WHX24 said:

Wow great minds think alike Lane! I have that same power drill from pre-cordless days. I use it for power starting the old Kohler genny with the globe like you have. 

I also have that same M-12 tool and is priceless in what I do at work. All furnaces can be serviced with a 5/16 and 1/4 nut driver and this fits the bill. Always in my tool sack! 

Jim, I even have the 12V Hoodie for freezer work. Kitchen staff always ask why my sweatshirt has a little light on it.:lol:

tom2p
On 10/21/2020 at 6:05 PM, Lane Ranger said:

I was at Home Depot today and looked into prices on the M-18 batteries! 

Yes it is an eye opener!   $149.00 for the single and $219.00 for the double set!

2367AA20-E6FD-4B25-98A2-22A15E1B88B7.jpeg.0a7467615b50935d3671685292cbd97d.jpeg9820C674-A0D7-4A44-B0BD-B907D2B23111.jpeg.cd95790eee7c7b1559959a122228c9e9.jpeg

wow 

now I know why guys flock to the tables at flea markets where Milwaukee tools and batteries are sold 

$220 for two batteries is ridiculous - even for lithium ion 

sheesh - get a decent extension cord and corded drill and then with the extra money get your wife a nice present or dinner out (in the future / post COVID panic) ... 

I use an older DeWalt with NiCad batteries - it's been great  ... think I paid under $100 for it and it included two batteries and a charger ... kinda clunky / heavy though ...   my one kid uses a newer smaller DeWalt with Lithium Ion batteries - smaller / lighter and it was also not too expensive ... 

A3F0BCDA-F955-4BD1-85EC-B00821B163A5.jpeg

but I often just grab my old Sears Craftsman drill and an extension cord ... old habits are hard to break ...

DB9120B6-2C01-4793-ADAE-A23B7741A8F7.jpeg

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 2

rjg854

Well I'm glad to see some people have good luck with DeWalt. I've never had one of their tools that would stand the test of time. I build custom homes for a living. Believe me they get put to the test through all kinds of weather. From basement to ridge. For me cordless is the way to go, instead of dragging cords through trusses or just being to far from the generator. Corded tools have their place on the job site and we use them also. As for me dependability and performance is extremely important, as they say, you get what you pay for. As far as batteries go fleabay auctions has gotten me some real good deals on them. What other tool manufacturer has a 5 year guarantee?  Okay review over :ychain:

tom2p
2 hours ago, rjg854 said:

Well I'm glad to see some people have good luck with DeWalt. I've never had one of their tools that would stand the test of time. I build custom homes for a living. Believe me they get put to the test through all kinds of weather. From basement to ridge. For me cordless is the way to go, instead of dragging cords through trusses or just being to far from the generator. Corded tools have their place on the job site and we use them also. As for me dependability and performance is extremely important, as they say, you get what you pay for. As far as batteries go fleabay auctions has gotten me some real good deals on them. What other tool manufacturer has a 5 year guarantee?  Okay review over :ychain:

if I used my tools more often and / especially if I made a living with them - my take might be different 

last few years I've seen the most interest on the Milwaukee brand 

recently saw a sweet looking / feeling compact lightweight Bosch cordless drill ...  very tempting 

oliver2-44

At Christmas be careful buying the multi tool sets.  Last year HD had some good looking deals on Dewalt sets.  The catch was the drill was the latest/greatest lithion-ion "brushless" motor design (ie more battery life/run time)  but the rest of the tools in the set were lithion-ion "brushed" motors

wallfish

Expensive tools are great for durability and performance, especially so when you are the only one working with those tools. BUT, when you have other people such as employees using them and those tools are treated like trash it's not worth the additional cost. They drop them off ladders, leave them in the rain, use them as hammers, run them in dirt and dust which gets sucked in, etc etc etc and worst of all, loose them. Instead of saying something right away when they're lost, (so we know exactly what house it was), they will wait until I discover it's gone so it's almost impossible to hunt them down. This has happened multiple times with multiple different people even though it has been clearly explained to say something right away so I can just go and get it. Loosing expensive tools gets costly so I go in the middle or cheap and buy a new one when needed. Loan your expensive tools to a neighbor or friend and most likely you will find out exactly what I'm talking about.

Sorry for the rant but it's nice to vent

• Like 2

formariz

@wallfishYour statements are spot on. Its hard to understand why employees behave like that. As for lending out tools nothing is more infuriating to me than a returned tool which is damaged , dirty or disrespected altogether. I had handsaws returned with kinks on them and clearly ran through a nail and chisels obviously used to pry a can open.They were returned without any comment regarding the damage or apologies. I was told very early in life by someone who influenced me for the remainder of it that you only borrow a tool once. You then go out and buy that tool so you never borrow it again.

• Like 1

Handy Don

@formariz and @wallfish I attribute the misuse of tools mostly to ignorance and indifference, not malice. That includes owned as well as borrowed or company-owned.  Only someone brought up with tools and the importance of caring for them and who feels invested in them is aware of their care and feeding.  It affects even highly skilled workers. 

This syndrome is why most auto service shops either rent tools to the workers (with sizable deposits) or require workers to furnish their own.  Only big stuff like lifts, alignment rigs, tire changers, special vehicle-specific tooling, and sometimes the air tools are shop-owned.  

As for the M vs DeW debate, I agree that you have to watch part numbers carefully and do your research in advance before buying anywhere.  I've recently committed to the M12 series for brushless drill-driver, impact driver, Hackzall (an amazingly versatile gadget), circular saw, and non-brushless multi-tool. They are pricey but I waited for the Fathers' Day deals at HD (expect them again near Christmas). These are serious tools and do everything I need and more--I've already broken bolts with the impact driver by setting it at too high a torque and shortened a metal door with the circular saw using a Diablo metal blade.  When it becomes available, though, I may upgrade to a brushless multi-tool just for longer battery life.  The new LED tower light is on my "keep an eye out" list--I'm hoping the next version will imbed a charger!

tom2p

my local big box stores never have the diablo amped recip blades (for thick metal)

they must see me enter the store and then hide them

Edited by tom2p