danweikert21

Plowing rig

danweikert21

So I’m trying to make some extra money this winter and I’m gonna use my plow on my raider 10 ( k301 ) can I have some help with what I need to plow right such as what tires, chains, and weights I might need. And anything else that applies to plowing it will be my first time. 

546CF57E-8120-414E-845D-DCC66D01E728.jpeg

• Like 1

rjg854

Fluid filled wheels and chains depending on what type of surface you'll be plowing. You can also have additional wheel weights, front and rear. I use roller chain around my front tires. I only plow over stone though. They do have rubber chains for blacktop and concrete.

• Like 3

danweikert21

So I’ll be plowing blacktop if I use chains do I still need to get snow tires or can I just run the ones I have, also what weight wheel weights do you recommend thanks 👍

ebinmaine

Opinions and also experiences are going to vary a little bit on this subject.

One question that comes to mind is, are you going to be plowing asphalt driveways and do they care about scratching the surface? If so, you want to make sure you focus on getting RUBBER chains.

THE key to traction is really not your tires. IT'S WEIGHT.

Decent set of chains, lots and lots and lots of weight.

You're also likely to need some wrap around chains on the front. 

• Like 1

danweikert21

So to answer your question I will be plowing paved driveways. And yeah most of the people I cut grass for have said they would not want it to be scratched. Would you be able to explain how I go about getting wheel weights and what size and weight they should be I’m a lite weight dude tho. Thanks 

stevasaurus

Rubber chains if you are doing others driveways.  Here is my B-100...it plows great the way it is, but I do have nubbier tires on mine.  Yours seem a little smooth.

2012_1102snow0002.JPG

• Excellent 1

danweikert21

Thanks for the help is that a metal bar on the plow?

rjg854

Most likely it is, by the looks of it

stevasaurus

Yes, and I adjust it to be about 1/4" off the driveway surface.  I would also stick with turf tires, but with deeper nubs.

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, danweikert21 said:

So to answer your question I will be plowing paved driveways. And yeah most of the people I cut grass for have said they would not want it to be scratched. Would you be able to explain how I go about getting wheel weights and what size and weight they should be I’m a lite weight dude tho. Thanks 

@pfrederi

Has tractors with roller chains as well. He also has a little extra front weight on a bracket out in front of the hood if I remember right.

@Ed KennellKennell 

Ed could show you a massive pile of weights hanging off the back of his own tractor.

There are weights that are custom of course.

Many of them bolt to the outside of the rear wheels.  There are also a few that will bolt to the inside of the rear wheels.

I will second the opinion about getting fluid filled tires. I have those on my plowing horse and I love them.

• Excellent 1

rjg854

You can fill your wheels with, windshield washer, RV antifreeze or rimguard to add weight. How much snow do you usually get? That would help us give advice.

danweikert21

Ok I’ll definitely do some looking around. For tires and chains I’ll keep you guys posted thanks guys I can always go here to figure it out 👍👍

• Like 1

danweikert21
Just now, rjg854 said:

You can fill your wheels with, windshield washer, RV antifreeze or rimguard to add weight. How much snow do you usually get? That would help us give advice.

I live in Lancaster the last two winters have been mild so I’m hoping it will be a heavy one we usually get 5 or 6 snows that are 6 inches deep 

SylvanLakeWH

I plow three flat driveways - 2 asphalt and one concrete. Used chains a few times and the scratching and marring (on my driveway) made me try without. Have never gone back. Been doing it with no added weight and no chains for 5 years now and no issues. Do I skid around sometimes - yup. Michigan slop is fun to plow! 

:twocents-02cents:

Here's my rig:

IMG_0158.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

rjg854

Well then I wouldn't go overboard with weights but still use them, stay away from steel chains. With your implement handle you can adjust your blade so it doesn't drag on the blacktop. Maybe rubber chains, but I heard they are expensive.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, danweikert21 said:

I live in Lancaster the last two winters have been mild so I’m hoping it will be a heavy one we usually get 5 or 6 snows that are 6 inches deep 

There are some differences between snow blowing snow and plowing snow.

The biggest thing to account for is that when you are plowing snow you need to push WELL PAST the point that you are actually trying to clear so that you have a place for the rest of the season to keep putting the snow banks.

If you get a heavy or thick snow you will have to take partial bites. Like a half a plow blade or less.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

stevasaurus

Sylvin hit on something that you really want to think about.  Level driveways are easier then ones that aren't level.  You may have to back up and push the snow down hill on slanted drives.  

A case of beer weighs more then a 6 pack.  :occasion-xmas:  Happy plowing.  :greetings-wavingyellow:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

squonk
2 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Sylvin hit on something that you really want to think about.  Level driveways are easier then ones that aren't level.  You may have to back up and push the snow down hill on slanted drives.  

A case of beer weighs more then a 6 pack.  :occasion-xmas:  Happy plowing.  :greetings-wavingyellow:

Miller lite weighs less than Loganhiemer!

• Haha 3

SylvanLakeWH
4 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

2 minutes ago, squonk said:

Miller lite weighs less than Loganhiemer!

I like beer...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Darb1964

Weight and good traction,studs or chains, I know you said you only get a few storms of six inches, I don't think I would commit to plowing other peoples driveways with a small tractor.Not in. My neck of the woods anyway. I plowed for years with a full seized truck with studs, and it could be nerve wracking. Lot of sleepless nights plowing and worrying about storms. I have a horse set up with a plow and one with a snow thrower, I use them to clean up and play with,but I would not want to go into a winter with just them. My main snow mover now is a Kubota 3010 with a bucket and snow blower on the back. I gave up the plow route, made some money but a hard way to do it.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

peter lena

hello dan, since you are going to be plowing paved driveways you might also consider putting a polyurethane blade edge on it , helping to eliminate metal scratching I  picked up one at my local cycle /atv shop for under 25$ ,   https://www.amazon.com/FallLine-Polyurethane-Snow-Plow-Edge/dp/B00S5JRZAG , just matched up the holes needed drilled them out , got some new carriage bolts , and elastic lick nuts /washers. it being urethane also helps in snow release , i also use a silicone blade spray for plowing ease. as you plow you will learn to over plow to have room  to put the next snow , just an idea , pete

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

bottjernat1

Here is my rig this year just looking for tire chains for my beast. wish i could find someone local i could trade i have several pairs but not the right size for my monster 26x12. I even have a new set for something. like 15 inchers i think they are. LOL Im super excited to plow snow. Im courious how much this beast will do. I know my original 953 with its ag tires monster weights and chains that thing is unstoppable. ive pushed snow over the blade and it was wet snow and it didnt care.

IMG_20201010_182416572.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

bottjernat1

This was a light dusting i did in 2018 with my 953.  I was still learning this machine. I bought it from the original owners son. bought new locally. one of my favorite horses i own

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

All good advice above except for the beer these :occasion-clown:s recommend.

I plow 4-5 paved  asphalt and concrete driveway.    I use the 312H with turf tires and rubber chains.   My tires are filled with washer fluid, the wheels have weights, and I have rear mounted weights.      Some of the driveways are very steep and in heavy snow, I always try to make the initial pass downhill then deadhead or plow  1/2 blade going uphill.

I also plow a 1/2 mile stone and grassy right of way.  For this, I use the 520H with turf tires and steel 2 link Vee Bar chains.      The tires are also filled, wheel weights and extra weight on the hitch.

You  do not want to use steel chains on a clients driveway.    https://www.tirechain.com/Garden-Tractor-Rubber-Tire-Chains.htm

IMO, If you are going to use chains ,rubber or steel, the turf tires are better than ag tires.    The turf tread keeping more of the chains in contact with the surface.

IMG_5556.JPG.794fbd77e85006c0da2e19f9a4c03620.JPG

Due to lack of blowable snow in the past several years,  I have replaced the blower with a 54" blade on the 520H

IMG_6856.JPG.f2ae0b79de8eff9f242a8d22288c726f.JPG

That's 200 lb on the rear, plus the filled tires and wheel weights.

I know it doesn't help you with a Raider 10,  But for serious snow removal, IMO, a hydro  with a hydraulic lift and a foot pedal motion control is best.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Herder

This is the push all of everything!!  Weights, chains and fluid filled tires.  Chains are not recommended for blacktop driveways. 

IMG_1485.JPG.1bd7bc82fa4e0bbabe118d2e5061cf85.JPGIMG_1482.JPG.9040ff0e33ada069b677d65cae111bf4.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2