Horse Newbie

520-H Oil Pressure Switch

lynnmor
1 hour ago, Horse Newbie said:

I read where the Eaton 1100 holds about five quarts of oil. Will this be true if I drained it completely at the drain screw ? What I'm thinking is get it to the full mark , let the pump run maybe a minute or two, to let the air maybe work its way to a point where it will vent, and the filter fill up, and recheck level...sound good ?

Sounds good, cycle the lift and run the tractor back and forth a bit after refilling.   Don't expect to get 5 quarts in, way too much will not be drained.  If you don't want to buy the 5 quarts and have extra, measure the amount drained first.  I always drain the engine or transmission hot immediately after shutting off so that it drains faster and takes more of the contaminants with it.

Horse Newbie

@lynnmor...hey friend I'm back and reaching for a flimsy reed.

I know I got a little off topic when I started talking about the hydro oil level and the burping while filling...anyway...

I am back to wiring issues.

I have ran a new wire on the 30 amp and the 25 amp circuits with a new fuse block.

Can you tell me if the wiring diagram below is accurate for the 94' 520H ?

Now back to the oil pressure switch...

I ran one wire to one of the 3 terminals on the switch and my oil light lights up with no oil pressure...

When I get the wires, muffler, plugs, fuel line, and other stuff reassembled I plan on trying to figure out which terminal on the switch is a ground to run to the hour meter.

I know the oil pressure switch grounds through being screwed into the engine block.

I also think one of the 3 terminals is a ground.

I'm thinking I can check which terminal is the ground terminal on the oil pressure switch by using a test light and doing the following...

Clip the alligator clip on one of the two remaining terminals...

Put the point of the test light on the positive battery post... 

Try the other terminal...

Which ever terminal turns on the test light when the engine is running is the ground...

sound right ?Screenshot_20201018-123932.png.b9a521849d8ae392f07858cdcc135a9e.pngScreenshot_20201018-123932.png.b9a521849d8ae392f07858cdcc135a9e.pngScreenshot_20201018-123932.png.b9a521849d8ae392f07858cdcc135a9e.png

Horse Newbie

@lynnmor @WVHillbilly520HI just found on You tube of these oil pressure switches being highly prone to failure......leaking at the part where the black meets the silver, causing oil leaks ( some people say their leaks were catastrophic ) that were bad enough to damage engines.

How many of you have plugged the hole on your 520h, or installed a pressure gauge ?

And do any of you have these switches on your engines (520H ) ?

20201023_114525.jpg

Edited by Horse Newbie

WVHillbilly520H

No oil leaks no plugging and no gauges... Still 100% bone stock after 25 years.

Bill D

I found one at Jegs.  It has three terminals with screws like the original switch.  Don't know if it will work.  Sorry I am not sure how to post a link.  Bill

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
2 hours ago, Bill D said:

I found one at Jegs.  It has three terminals with screws like the original switch.  Don't know if it will work.  Sorry I am not sure how to post a link.  Bill

Thanks for the info. Bill D.

My thing with the one pictured is figuring out which one of the terminals to come off of for the ground to the hour meter.

I believe I have the one for the dash (oil) light.

I'm afraid if I put power to the ground on the hour meter it will fry it.

The oil pressure switch has to supply the ground for the hour meter when the engine is running.

Edited by Horse Newbie

Horse Newbie
2 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

No oil leaks no plugging and no gauges... Still 100% bone stock after 25 years.

That's because you are a machine operator...

and you probably take care of your stuff with regular maintenance and fixing things right as you go along. @WVHillbilly520H

• Thanks 1

lynnmor
1 hour ago, Horse Newbie said:

Thanks for the info. Bill D.

My thing with the one pictured is figuring out which one of the terminals to come off of for the ground to the hour meter.

I believe I have the one for the dash (oil) light.

I'm afraid if I put power to the ground on the hour meter it will fry it.

The oil pressure switch has to supply the ground for the hour meter when the engine is running.

Both the hour meter and oil light needs a ground supplied to work, you ain't gonna fry anything.  The hour meter needs to switch on (NO terminal) with oil pressure for it to run.  The oil light needs to switch off (NC terminal) with normal oil pressure.  If the oil pressure switch you purchased can use the threads as a ground, then a separate ground won't be needed to the common (C terminal).

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
36 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Both the hour meter and oil light needs a ground supplied to work, you ain't gonna fry anything.  The hour meter needs to switch on (NO terminal) with oil pressure for it to run.  The oil light needs to switch off (NC terminal) with normal oil pressure.  If the oil pressure switch you purchased can use the threads as a ground, then a separate ground won't be needed to the common (C terminal).

@lynnmor...there you go again- the calvary arrives just before the town burns !

The switch does ground through the block.

I do believe with you schooling me I may just be able to get it right !

I have the oil light I think...it burns until I put a little pressure on it with my compressor.

Then it goes out.

So know all I have to do is put an alligator clip on the hour meter ground,

then go to the other two terminals until I get the one that closes or supplies ground while the engine has oil pressure.

@lynnmor, I really do thank you for taking the time to help me with my "Horse"

Tim (Horse Newbie)

Edited by Horse Newbie

Horse Newbie
On 9/29/2020 at 11:22 PM, richmondred01 said:

You should use the oil pressure switch that was designed for that model.

Your old switch has a part number on it. Look up that part number and get that part or a superseded correct one. This information can be gleaned via several onan websites or a Cummings dealer. 

@richmondred01 why do you say I need to use the pressure switch that was designed for my model tractor ?...I can't find one .

Horse Newbie
On 9/30/2020 at 9:24 AM, lynnmor said:

The switch I linked to has 3 terminals instead of 2 like the OEM switch.  One of the 3 terminals is the common that should have a wire connected and run to a ground on the engine.  The OEM switch uses the mounting threads as the ground.  There is no fear of using the "wrong" switch, the worst that can happen is the oil light will not work, but then you will know that the switch needs to be connected properly.  Another number for the same switch is PS119, available at most auto parts stores.

@lynnmor , I think I figured the oil pressure switch out , but I wont be absolutely sure until I can get the hour meter that's on the way.

Heres what I done so far and I'm not sure if I can describe it since I get confused on wiring.

I ran a test light to a terminal on the oil pressure switch and a ground to the body of the switch, got a light so that will be the terminal for the oil light.- no oil pressure/ engine not running.

Then I put pressure on the switch and tried a different terminal, got nothing...

Tried the third terminal- got nothing...

Then I tried grounding one of the second or third terminals to the engine block( like you said)...long story short I was able to use the test light to simulate the oil light on the dash and a volt meter to simulate the hour meter...

I don't know how I did it but I was able to get the test light to burn with no pressure and the volt meter to read 12 volts with pressure.

That ended up me using all 3 terminals...

I think the body of the switch is grounding to the block until the switch has pressure, then one of the terminals become ground.

Does that sound right or do I have us both confused ?

Edited by Horse Newbie

Horse Newbie

@lynnmor I think what confused me is the fact that one of the three terminals is a common and the switch also grounds through the block.

I AM going to have to ground the common terminal to the engine though...we'll see if it works when I get the hour meter.

Horse Newbie

I know this is an old thread, but I did get the oil pressure switch to work. When I turn on the key, the oil light comes on… and when I crank it the oil light goes off and the hour meter is working. 
Just realized I never gave an update…

Thanks guys !

• Like 1