Dennis C.

312-8 transmission noise.

Dennis C.

Being relatively new to WH tractors, I need some feed back. While checking the transmission oil level on the 312-8 I noticed the dip stick was thick and milky. At some point in the tractors life water must have collected in the sump. I drained the old oil, flushed the trans with kerosene twice and filled with 80-90wt gear oil. Took the tractor out around the neighborhood and there is whining in the transmission.  Some it sounds like a bearing at times as the noise will get louder and then quiet down.  Are these trannys typically noisy? Thanks

peter lena

DENNIS, THANKS FOR THE QUESTION, the milky solution was a water intrusion , probably at the shifter boot, that should be replaced , another thing , did you jack up the front end at flush time to enhance drainage? i like the fact that you flushed it twice with kero, that will help in clean out. having done this  a number of times ,the road drive is very important, and using every gear and hi/lo range , reverse seamed to really help mine out , remember you are still cleaning and restoring bearing movement . the units are typically not noisy , but as much use and shifting with clean fluid is the answer. i still think you're in the restoring function stage. how long did you use the kero? i put hours on mine ,and road time , shifting and range shifting , mine just kept getting better , all 3 of my horses , have had this , and today , they are smooth and quiet , local cul de sac  , is my test track , let us know , pete  

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-yeahthat:

Trick is to get all the gunk out and then run 'em with clean oil... They are amazingly durable.

My last one was quite noisy and the "oil" looked like a coffee with too much cream... Did the drain, clean, drain and clean oil, twice and worked like a charm...

• Like 2

CCW

I too had the milky oil in transmission from a leaky shift boot.  Boot itself was just fine, but would not stay in position.  Solved the problem by putting a small hose clamp around the top of the boot after I put it back in place.

• Like 1

tunahead72
2 hours ago, Dennis C. said:

... I drained the old oil, flushed the trans with kerosene twice and filled with 80-90wt gear oil...

Just to clarify...  Did you drive the tractor around with the kerosene, like @peter lena is suggesting?  I think that's an important part of the whole cleaning process.

• Like 1

peter lena

dennis c , as i said you must drive that flushing solution around and make numerous gear  changes and hi/lo changes as well, it takes time. you cannot just add a flush and then drain it , you have to put it to work . after you do that a few times and put some road/ work time on them ,they start to get better.  these gear boxes are very rugged , and with a regular oil change and a possible boot change as well , they work with ease, pete 

• Like 2

echris

I wonder if doing this process under load makes a difference. When I got my 310-8 the trans fluid was chocolate milk. I flushed it 2x with diesel, running it on jack stands through all gears high/low for 10 mins per gear each time, with an oil flush also 10 mins per gear between.

I still have a bit of what  I think is bearing noise, many hours later, fluid sparkly clean.

@Dennis C. I noticed with mine, under load, going uphill etc, it gets much louder. Tooling around on level ground it's silent. Is that what you see?

oliver2-44

@echris While flushing on jack stands or driving around can clean up a transmission it can’t repair pitting in the gear teeth the water caused. I have a Suburban transmission I opened and rebuilt but at the time didn’t have gears to replace The pitted ones. It works fine but it sure is noisy 

• Excellent 1

Dennis C.

Thanks for all your replies and GREAT info.   Not being familiar with the WH transmission, I was wasn't confident how long I should drive around with the kero in the transmission. At most, I drove about 10 minutes. You suggest I drive longer? How long would be safe? I certainly can flush the tranny again. I checked the oil yesterday after driving around and it's clear. And yes, Pete I jacked up the front of the tractor to make sure the sump fully drained. Under load is when the tranny seems to be loud and occasionally I hear a squeal like a rusty bearing would make. Overall the tractor is in good shape  and will last my lifetime.

119059734_2028369473985514_3063599847094001528_o.jpg

• Excellent 1

953 nut
12 minutes ago, Dennis C. said:

occasionally I hear a squeal like a rusty bearing would make.

Like Jim @oliver2-44 said, flushing will get the bad stuff out, but it won't repair damage that resulted from the bad stuff being there. I wouldn't be to concerned about a little occasional whining and squealing if it doesn't get any worse.

peter lena

DENNIS C. that 10 minute  drive will not do it, i put a couple of combined hours on my flush , another thing i emphasize is the road time , do you have access to any paved road that is not traffic busy ? you need to heat up that oil and stop and start every gear and hi/lo ranges often to operate / circulate the flushing , lubrication function. you are not putting a high stress pull on the gearing , so the fluid qualities are more to clean than save. i have done this numerous times , often in reverse for long periods of time , every flush and refill , i use the walmart 75-90 basic oil , its cheaper yet it does the job. after all of your shifting comes back , then i go to a higher rated oil. its the road / heated gear oil and use of every gear function that will recover your issue. let us know how its going, pete

Dennis C.

OK, a lengthy flush was completed, maybe not as long as suggested but completed anyway. Filled the tranny with 80-90 wt gear oil and have been hauling firewood out of the woods for the past 3 days. Transmission is much quieter and the squealing noise is gone.  Found a new riding companion. My daughters dog loves to ride on the tractor with me!!

• Like 1