Rob R

42" S/D Triple Blade Mower Spindle (mandrel)

Rob R

Hi guys need you help have a 42" side Discharge Deck (Triple Blade) mower deck, mounted on a C-81, that is in bad need of an outside Spindle (Mandrel) the pulley on top is # 5877. The bottom bearing is toast. so I poise the following questions. Note pics attached. 

1. Does any on have one of these for less then a Kings ransome?

2. Is it possible to disassemble and install an new bearing from like NAPA?

3. All three spindles have NO Zerk grease fittings can I drill and add some...... if yes where on the housing is the best place to do this. 

Thanks feel free to add any other options...... 

IMG_1628.JPG

IMG_1629.JPG

IMG_1630.JPG

Achto

@PeacemakerJack do you have any spindles that might fit this application??

WHX??

If he don't you or I might Dan. Those look alot like the spindles on  that deck we decided not to refurb. Might be worth checking. 

59 minutes ago, Rob R said:

2. Is it possible to disassemble and install an new bearing from like NAPA?

Might be the top side  they used a real common bearing bottom may well be a needle bearing. You need to disassemble and find out. 

That is a crossover deck that used the old style shell but the new style carriage. 

Any numbers on the deck at all or long gone? 

Edited by WHX24
Not the pic I wanted

Rob R
3 hours ago, WHX24 said:

If he don't you or I might Dan. Those look alot like the spindles on  that deck we decided not to refurb. Might be worth checking. 

Might be the top side  they used a real common bearing bottom may well be a needle bearing. You need to disassemble and find out. 

That is a crossover deck that used the old style shell but the new style carriage. 

Any numbers on the deck at all or long gone? 

I Went out and finally did locate a miss placed (moved) I.D. tag the #s are 42MS01 6174

Thanks for the great information and Parts Manual excerpt. I will try to get the bad Spindle out and apart to see just how bad the damage is, my guess is that all the bolts will break off and make things kinda miserable. 

Edited by Rob R
  • Like 1

WHX??

This looks like the one should have a common bearing on the top and a needle on the bottom. Basically the same spindles as these. Yours might be the type K non greaseable ones tho if they have been upgraded. Only one way to find out and that's peel it apart which sounds like it has to done anyway. 

20200412_102734.jpg

• Like 1

Rob R

So after MUCH heat and slow progress I go the Mandrel off and apart. I need a new upper roller bearing and a lower needle bearing.... on flea-bee and the Internet they want a small fortune for them so I went to McMaster-Carr and found their R12 in both categories (total $ around $30.00) just might work so taking a chance and will see what happens..... might need a little creative shimming but so be it...... to be continued.....  The Macmaster bearings R12 one needle and one roller arrived.... as stated they were slightly shorter then the stock bearing so I shimmed them until correct width. Installed and cut the front and back lawn..... back in business.... thanks for the help!  Save another one that was laying in the woods for at least 15 years. 

IMG_1634.JPG

Edited by Rob R
  • Excellent 1

JustHorse'nAround

Any chance you still have the McMaster part numbers? I have two 42" SD decks which sound more like a bag of hammers in an avalanche than a precision machine. 

Thanks!

Rob R
10 hours ago, JustHorse'nAround said:

Any chance you still have the McMaster part numbers? I have two 42" SD decks which sound more like a bag of hammers in an avalanche than a precision machine. 

Thanks!

Sorry I do NOT have the exact # I used they were in the R12 category on the internet site. I did have to shim them and this took a while to get right.... not sure it was worth the time and effort to do this especially with two. Suggest you take the existing to NAPA or spend time with a rep from McMaster Carr to get the correct bearings. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Joe Warren
      By Joe Warren
      Mower Spindle Components
      mostly new old stock
      Prices shown do not include the cost to ship.
      Message me with your needs and any questions.
      Thank you.
      Joe

PART NUMBER(S)
      DESCRIPTION
      QTY. AVAILABLE
      PRICE EACH
      NOS Spindle shaft assembly
      103711 (used)
      Used spindle shaft assembly
      101686 or 5875
      NOS Spindle shaft sub-assembly
      NOS Spindle shaft
      NOS Spindle shaft
      107998 or 107446
      NOS Spindle shaft
      NOS Spindle shaft
      112673 or 109965
      NOS Spindle shaft
      NOS Spindle shaft
      102780 or 104373
      NOS Spindle cups 1.0” tall
      ??????
      NOS Spindle cups 0.9” tall
      102784 or 104374
      NOS Spindle cups 0.8” tall

NOS Needle bearing, MFD USA Torrington
      NOS Ball bearing, sealed both sides, MFD China
      101480 or 1515 or 5493
      NOS Ball bearing, sealed both sides, MFD China

NOS Ball bearing, sealed one side, MFD Japan
      NOS Ball bearing, open, not sealed, MFD Taiwan

NOS Seal spacer
      NOS Spacer-pulley
      NOS Spacer-bearing
      NOS Spacer

NOS Lock bolt-pulley
      110242 or 908033
      NOS Lock bolt-blade
      915090 or 32146-20
      NOS Lock nut-pulley
      936028 or 32120-42 or 52-6640
      NOS Snap ring
      spindle housing

• davem1111
      By davem1111
      I thought I'd circle back and see if I can fix a 42" deck (05-42MS05) that came off of one of my previous tractor purchases. I got the blades off and the bottoms of the spindles look good, and it needs some metal welded on where the wheel height adustment bracket bolts on. No big deal.

The problem I'm having now on this deck is that I can't get this one spindle off. I haven't gotten the others off either, but they seem to be fine. This pulley is flopping around and obviously needs help. I've tried heating it with a torch after spraying it with penetrating spray numerous times, and it won't budge.  At this point, I'm thinking that I'll just need to grind it off, right through the spindle shaft, unless I can successfully cut through the thick ring without damaging the spindle shaft. If I have to grind through the pulley, it probably doesn't matter because I think it's shot already. Anyone have any other ideas?

One question:  Is that thick ring supposed to be part of the pulley? This one is detached and the pulley spins freely (and sloppily).  Assuming I'll need to buy a new pulley, but was hoping not to have to buy another spindle shaft also. I did take the grease zirk off and have hammered on the top some, but only with a block of brass in between. It could already be damaged there.

The picture doesn't help much, but here it is:

• She's a Newbie
      By She's a Newbie
      I bought a C-160 beautifully restored but I plan on using it for a dependable mower.  The deck is totally shot.  I have a 42" deck that is currently on a 310-8.  Will it fit on my C-160? 

Also, do most of you members use a lawn mower jack to work on your wheel horses?  If so, which one would you recommend?  Thanks you! 
    • Joe Warren
      By Joe Warren
      one new old stock spindle housing

part number 106063

$79 includes shipping within US lower 48.

• Ifixoldjunk
      By Ifixoldjunk
      I just bought a deck for my 310-8, it’s a 42inch rear discharge, it came with a complete parts tractor, but I need new belts for it. Does anyone know what size belts I need?