JCM

Eaton 1100 Fan Installation

JCM

After purchase of a 420 and making a list of things to correct I found the fan was mounted with a phillips head fastener, flat washer and red washer then plastic fan to shaft which looked incorrect to me. After research I found Part # 908010 hex  hd  cap  screw with a # 103995 washer to be correct. This cap screw measures 2- 1/4 '' from behind head as compared to 5/8'' long  fastener. The new cap screw has loctite on it out of the package and seems to tighten after several turns in. To me it seems it has a long way to go before the washer will compress up to the fan. Looking for your opinions on this before proceeding.       Thanks

IMG_0067.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

ebinmaine

Haven't had one of those apart but can you take a piece of mechanics wire and see how deep the bolt hole in the shaft is?

Seems like a huge difference there.  

• Thanks 1

squonk

I don't remember what was exactly there, but that long bolt aint right. Your 520 has the same fan. Take a look. 

Edited by squonk
  • Thanks 1

JCM

Wire only goes in 1'', that explains the screw and doubled up washers. I thought about the 520 but it would take a bit of moving things around to check that out. I am not quite ready yet to run the 420 but getting real close. I hate the thought of messing with the 520 and breaking that off inside the shaft. Is it possible the bolt listed for that is incorrect, could be. If someone has replaced the fan on either one of these machines please let me know and thank you @squonk  &  @ebinmaine  . Maybe I should just use the correct washer I have with a shorter cap screw, just want to do the right thing. Enjoy your Sunday

• Like 1

gwest_ca

The ipl I looked at lists 2 bolts

908002 is 1/4-20 x 5/8"

908010 is 1/4-20 x 2-1/4"

2 - 103995 washers listed but no description.

Garry

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

squonk

1/4" x 5/8" sounds right. Now go try to find one. Gonna have to try a 3/4" . Maybe trim it. I would use an external toothed lockwasher under the bolt head.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

lynnmor

Be sure to use threadlocker, you can't make that bolt very tight with the plastic fan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

953 nut
6 hours ago, lynnmor said:

Be sure to use threadlocker, you can't make that bolt very tight with the plastic fan.

:text-yeahthat:                  The counter-clockwise rotation tends to tighten the bolt but why have that extra measure of security!

Damien Walker

You've probably fixed this by now but my three transaxles all have (conventional) Hex head 1/4-20 screw probably 5/8" or 3/4" long (ie threaded all the way, no plain shank). The long bolt is totally wrong and whilst the button head Philips will probably do, it's not the right part!

It does seem rather a poor way of mounting the fan as it is very likely to slip.May be that is intentional to try to keep the blades on should anything get caught up in the fan?

• Thanks 1