Pullstart

1961 401 (For Rylee, Jim’s Workin’ Girl)

Pullstart

4EF25775-273F-4E33-9913-492802E17FE3.png

D5B75E3C-B653-4F19-86F1-526571AE6EE0.png

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

So this manual says because the points are under the flywheel, let a qualified service tech do the work...  

Is there a pretty spot on measurement for the points setting?  Is .018-.020 the target for these too?

• Excellent 1

WHX??

Yup under the flywheel... one of the bad things about a B1290. Kinda like a Briggs with the points down under. Condensor is there too. 

Nice thing about Clintons is the points never gave near so much trouble as the Briggs. Bet they just need to cleaned from sitting & 18-20 is good. Fresh gas too. 

The Kohler swap we talked about is not a bad idea as that's what was probably in it originally. I think the Clinton may have been a dealer service swap. 

Check the screws holding the updraft air filter 90 degree to the carb I remember those like to come loose. 

Thanks for the manual Garry that one I did not have. You need more manuals Kev I have a bunch of others. 

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
33 minutes ago, squonk said:

So who around you is "qualified" :helmet: :teasing-poke::lol:

Probably Rylee would qualify... better than a local shop!

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4

WHX??
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

Probably Rylee would qualify... better than a local shop!

I'll second that! :lol:

• Haha 2

oldiron613

Congrats @pullstart! That's actually a pretty rare (and original) tractor your daughter has. 

I'm 100% positive that Clinton is the original engine to that tractor. The 1107 spec # on the engine s a Wheel Horse sepc. There is a very small handful of 400's and early 401's that got left-over 1959 Clinton B1290 engines which I have one of and the Clinton serial # on yours is only 8 numbers from mine. Of the known Clinton powered 401's also, none have fenders which makes me think that these were probably lesser expensive "economy" models that had the left over Clinton engines without fenders. 

So, if you still want to swap the engine for a Kohler which I personally wouldn't do as much as I like Kohler's myself, keep that original Clinton on the shelf... or sell it to me. :)

Rob

Edited by oldiron613
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 3

Pullstart
34 minutes ago, oldiron613 said:

Congrats @pullstart! That's actually a pretty rare (and original) tractor your daughter has. 

I'm 100% positive that Clinton is the original engine to that tractor. The 1107 spec # on the engine s a Wheel Horse sepc. There is a very small handful of 400's and early 401's that got left-over 1959 Clinton B1290 engines which I have one of and the Clinton serial # on yours is only 8 numbers from mine. Of the known Clinton powered 401's also, none have fenders which makes me think that these were probably lesser expensive "economy" models that had the left over Clinton engines without fenders. 

So, if you still want to swap the engine for a Kohler which I personally wouldn't do as much as I like Kohler's myself, keep that original Clinton on the shelf... or sell it to me. :)

Rob

Rob,

I’ll see what it takes to get the Clinton going, for sure.  I love Kohlers as much as the rest of y’all, but if it ain’t broke I’ll keep the hammer in the tool box this time!  It won’t take too much to pop the flywheel off and get the points cleaned up. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
1 hour ago, oldiron613 said:

early 401's that got left-over 1959

400's I knew this to be true and just figured that by '61 this would no longer be true or they would have used up all the left over 1290's. This is also the first Clinton powered 401 I have saw. 

I was also not aware that they offered a "budget" model without the fenders too. I suppose they could have been dealer added as an option. 

Thanks for the schooling Rob. That 400 next to my RJ is an early 400 and never had fenders.  

Careful of those big meats Kev ....the keyways/woodruffs maybe marginal at this point without further tranny investigation or love.  Check the setscrews. You also do not want that axle to start digging into the axle tube just the much softer replaceable bushing. Score the axle you might be done.  One of the reasons I quit running her and laid her up. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

oldiron613
5 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

400's I knew this to be true and just figured that by '61 this would no longer be true or they would have used up all the left over 1290's. This is also the first Clinton powered 401 I have saw. 

I was also not aware that they offered a "budget" model without the fenders too. I suppose they could have been dealer added as an option. 

Thanks for the schooling Rob. That 400 next to my RJ is an early 400 and never had fenders.  

You bet Jim. I've only seen 3 or 4 factory Clinton powered 401's which all fall into a close serial number range. This one pictured is the one I have that's 8 serial numbers off from Rylee's. The 1290B is shown in WH documentation I've seen as an avaliable engine for the 401. I've never seen any documentation on a "budget model" but just think that none of Clinton powered 400 or 401's I've seen so far having had fenders is more than a coincidence. Just my theory anyway.

WH 401.jpg

Edited by oldiron613
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 4

Pullstart

Jim, for now I did tighten the hubs, when it was still in the truck with no meats on the rear. :handgestures-thumbupright:  I appreciate the tip though, I’ll make sure she only drives it enough to want to do a tear down and refresh!

• Like 2

wallfish
9 hours ago, WHX24 said:

The Kohler swap we talked about is not a bad idea as that's what was probably in it originally. I think the Clinton may have been a dealer service swap.

That Clinton is probably the original engine. 401s did come from the factory with Clinton B1290 engines but not as many as the Kohler. I have one with a Clinton.

• Like 4
  • Heart 1

WHX??

I forget about @Racinbob 's patented axle flip too. Dan's pic reminded me there are no splines on these axles.

• Like 3

WHX??
15 minutes ago, wallfish said:

That Clinton is probably the original engine. 401s did come from the factory with Clinton B1290 engines but not as many as the Kohler. I have one with a Clinton.

Yes I see that now ... had I known about that and it is somewhat rare it might not have went into the hands of a dude wielding a BFH. :lol:

5 hours ago, pullstart said:

I’ll keep the hammer in the tool box this time!  

Whewwww 

Maybe put up a pic of the plate 'Fish.... @oldiron613 may be interested in it. Sounds like he is tracking them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Bow_Extreme

Nice Horse!!  If needed, I know a guy that has a bunch of brand new Clinton parts. I have several engines myself, as well.  

Anyways, very nice!!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

76c12091520h

They're out there..........

0504191323a[1].jpg

0504191326a[1].jpg

0507191643a[1].jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

WHX??

Any chance yours has the serial no. sticker yet @wallfish?

76c's pic reminded me I have the original deck Kev we should keep it with the tractor. 

12Horse Paladin
On 7/13/2020 at 12:23 PM, pullstart said:

Step 1.  Make it look good.

Step 2.  Make it run.

440C15AC-E0BA-422E-AFB2-ED06CF5B39D4.jpeg

F9A838D6-C4F5-402E-8222-E2DEE8CF61BB.jpeg

896999B6-C169-4EB4-B934-9B6827CCE420.jpeg

EE876DF5-7B12-48CC-B735-7E8859A86467.jpeg

SEEEEE!!!!!😁😁😁😁

UNDERSTAND, PLEASE:

Since i got the 160 i have, Dad has constantly been tellin' me (growlin', actually, lol) 'you get it straight/RUNNIN, n THEN you make it look good!'

Ive stedfastly disagreed. 

I mean, if i got parts off doin small fixes, whynot cleanup the clothes?

THANKYOU, Pullstart for voicing this.👍🏼👍🏼!

Ill sleep better tonight; no lie!😊

Ps...i LIKE those tires on there!!!!

N Rylee looks to be a waayyy better mechanic/tech than i, no kiddin'...😊

Edited by 12Horse Paladin
added text
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

“Daddy, Jada won’t play with me, can I watch a movie?”

”Want to work on your tractor?”

And here we are!  We need to pull the flywheel and clean the points.  

A15DE197-1692-4815-9B16-84517EE771F8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

WHNJ701
4 minutes ago, pullstart said:

“Daddy, Jada won’t play with me, can I watch a movie?”

”Want to work on your tractor?”

And here we are!  We need to pull the flywheel and clean the points.  

A15DE197-1692-4815-9B16-84517EE771F8.jpeg

Nice, my 8 year old wet sanded a hood tonight, he asked what can I do help get parts ready for paint tommorow, he wants this commando done more than me

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 3

Pullstart

Ok, any input on how a flywheel with no tapped holes comes off?  Big jaw puller on the outside?

8ED57B3C-A0DC-4D76-B34D-07D1C1FFE6CF.jpeg