cafoose

GT-14 problems

meadowfield

thats a 1971 model - so likely to have had a swap like mine!

cafoose
28 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Looking at your first picture it looks like a piston to piston not a hydro gear. (Could use a better pic of the hydro motor part to be sure). GT-14s even in 73 didn't come with piston to piston.  Guessing yours has been swapped.  meadowfield is on the mark your tow valve is a normal screw in screw out valve.  many differences between hydro gear and piston to piston

20200602_162446.jpg

20200602_163744.jpg

20200602_163831.jpg

20200602_163957.jpg

cafoose

@pfrederi @meadowfield more hydro pics with the seat removed

20200602_171137.jpg

20200602_171200.jpg

pfrederi

The hydro motor be it gear or piston is on the left side of the transaxle.  Looks like figure 8 hydro gear, round end  piston to piston.

cafoose
2 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

The hydro motor be it gear or piston is on the left side of the transaxle.  Looks like figure 8 hydro gear, round end  piston to piston.

Not sure what that means :eusa-think: is it original?

• Like 1

pfrederi

If it is piston to  piston it is not original

Does the end of you r hydro motor look like this??  Compare it to the other GT-14 you have...

If it does look like this you have a replacement non original system.  Inter sting I am not sure how they dealt with  the gear mismatch...have to think on that some.

IMG_0293.JPG

Ed Kennell

I have had several of these screw out tow valves that were stuck.    I was able to screw them back in using a small pipe wrench.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

cafoose
3 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I have had several of these screw out tow valves that were stuck.    I was able to screw them back in using a small pipe wrench.

On my C-120 that my brother in law has now when I got it, it wasn't running and it has the same tow valve setup. It was stuck in the closed position when I picked up the tractor from the PO and it didn't run. Once I got it running and drove it around for awhile it loosened up and I was able to turn it. I'm wondering if I should fill it up to the proper level and engage the belt so the hydro warms up and circulates the fluid to free up the tow valve so I can turn it. Would it hurt anything to warm it up with the belt engaged and the tow valve open? Maybe it pushes easily because it's low on fluid and the tow valve is closed? I have a small pipe wrench. I tried vice grips and it didn't budge. I clamped them as tight as I could and gently rocked the valve back and forth and they started to slip and bite into the shaft a little bit.

Ed Kennell

I would try it Chuck.  I don't know if it will help loosen it, but I  don't see how it can hurt.

You may get lucky and find it just needed oil and works and drives.     At least then you will know  the valve  is closed and which way to turn it to open it.

With no oil, I believe the tractor would roll even with the tow valve closed.   What do you guys think. @pfrederi, @lynnmor

cafoose
36 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I would try it Chuck.  I don't know if it will help loosen it, but I  don't see how it can hurt.

You may get lucky and find it just needed oil and works and drives.     At least then you will know  the valve  is closed and which way to turn it to open it.

With no oil, I believe the tractor would roll even with the tow valve closed.   What do you guys think. @pfrederi, @lynnmor

I think I will try that next fill it to the proper oil level and see what happens. I'm assuming it has Dexron in it? I can't tell because none is on the dipstick. Maybe I should loosen the oil filter a bit and see what drips out?

Ed Kennell

I would probably just drain it to see what comes out.  Then refill it.

• Thanks 1

lynnmor
5 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I wouldn’t run it without oil, parts may seize if they become completely dry.  

The transmission should have little resistance to movement if there is no oil to pump.  I would make a real effort to service the tow valve and running the engine probably won’t help to loosen it.

Ed Kennell
15 hours ago, cafoose said:

I checked the fluid level and it's not touching the dipstick. I'm guessing it has ATF in it.

Until you completely drain, change the filter, refill ,and run it, we don't really  know if there is a problem with the hydro.  It may work as it should.

All we know is the tow valve is stuck....open or closed?

• Like 1

953 nut
14 hours ago, pfrederi said:

If it does look like this you have a replacement non original system.  Inter sting I am not sure how they dealt with  the gear mismatch...have to think on that some.

:confusion-confused:       Could be a total transaxle transplant with the axles swapped out.  It would be a bit faster and be a bit anemic due to the gearing.

9 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I would probably just drain it to see what comes out.  Then refill it.

:text-yeahthat:

• Thanks 1

cafoose
22 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Until you completely drain, change the filter, refill ,and run it, we don't really  know if there is a problem with the hydro.  It may work as it should.

All we know is the tow valve is stuck....open or closed?

So how much does it hold and what filter does it take?

Ed Kennell

The filter is NAPA 1410 and I it should take 4-5qt. of oil or ATF.

• Like 1

cafoose
13 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

The filter is NAPA 1410 and I it should take 4-5qt. of oil or ATF.

:text-thankyouyellow: I will drain first, look at what's in there, refill with the same fluid, install new NAPA 1410, and report the results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

cafoose

Just went out to drain fluid and saw this on the ramps I left sitting under the tractor. Looks like a leak. Must have leaked when I started it. :o When you look to the left of the ramp at the bottom back of the fins it looks like it may have been running out from the case gasket? Where is the drain plug?

20200603_102512.jpg

Edited by cafoose

pfrederi
1 hour ago, cafoose said:

Just went out to drain fluid and saw this on the ramps I left sitting under the tractor. Looks like a leak. Must have leaked when I started it. :o When you look to the left of the ramp at the bottom back of the fins it looks like it may have been running out from the case gasket? Where is the drain plug?

Same as all the other Transaxles

InkedIMG_0217_LI.jpg

• Excellent 1

cafoose

I think I found the leak :greetings-clappingyellow: looks like someone tried to braze or weld it? Notice the blue gasket sealer :laughing-rolling: I guess I'm going to learn how to split a case :banana-wrench: I have two other GT-14 tractors to choose from for parts. Total of four GT-14 tractors :banana-linedance:Notice the grenaded block in the third picture :laughing-rolling:

20200603_121943.jpg

20200603_122543.jpg

20200603_122737.jpg

20200603_123559.jpg

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Woops, looks like you may need 4 GTs to make 1 or 2.

The good news ….you found a leak and saved a filter and 5 qts. of oil.

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

pfrederi

Rather than mess with this one I would look at one of you parts tractors for a rear end transplant.  The braising/welding would worry me. 

• Excellent 1

cafoose
6 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Woops, looks like you may need 4 GTs to make 1 or 2.

The good news ….you found a leak and saved a filter and 5 qts. of oil.

:text-yeahthat: Also going to gain some experience working on a hydro :banana-wrench: plus it will keep me out of trouble during the pandemic :laughing-rolling:

Pick'em up cheap no matter what condition if nothing else lots of parts :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by cafoose
  • Like 2

cafoose
4 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Rather than mess with this one I would look at one of you parts tractors for a rear end transplant.  The braising/welding would worry me. 

Good point :handgestures-thumbupright: maybe I will disassemble it someday to see what does or doesn't make it tick :banana-wrench: Who knows? maybe I will acquire a new skill :eusa-think:

• Like 2