WHX??

WH Zero Turn

WHX??

Anybody ever saw one of these? Anybody know any thing about them?  I have never till now. Local here on CL & I may go look at it just for the halibut. 

00i0i_cXlsKfhTjDm_600x450.jpg

00j0j_8DCJDNKkMFS_600x450.jpg

• Like 5

peter lena

never seen one , looks like a very early version of zero turn , obviously nothing like the common cutters today. pete

JCM

The 1989 WH brochure I picked up when I bought the 312-8 has 1 model in there a 724-Z .  It had a 24 HP Onan commercial duty engine with dual Eaton 7 hydrostatic drives weighing in at 990 lbs. Optional 50 or 60''SD decks. Better eat your wheaties if that don't run and need to put it on a trailer Jim.     Good luck      It also was able to have a 48'' snow blade. drawbar and 22x12 knobby tires. I think you would look good on it plowing snow in your hunter orange gear.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

D_Mac

I never saw one. I never heard of one either. Its like a Unicorn ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lane Ranger

Dixie Chopper made in Fillmore, Indiana made those for Wheel Horse in the late 1980’s. The Greencastle Wheel Horse dealer was on the national Wheel Horse council and told Wheel Horse management about the zero turn that has been developed  by Mr Art Evans.  Dixie Chopper of course took off on its own after that.

see DixieChopper.com. Company History . 

also see rurallifestyledealer.com the Model N 

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Pollack Pete

I would buy it if the price was right.Neighbors here think I'm weird enough already owning so many Wheel Horse tractors and mowing with a different one every time I mow..I'd look even more weird on THAT zero-turn.Yeee Haaa!!

Edited by Pollack Pete
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

squonk

I know 3 things about 0 turns.

1. guys who run them go flat out leaving a crappy cut and a sore back even with suspension

2. I would get dizzy after about 5 min of use

3. They sink a lot.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

D_Mac

I have had several Zero turns, never really liked any of them. Oddly enough I am liking the C-161 Hydro more and more each day.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Seen a few on CL. Stayed on there quite a while...None of them looked to good for wear...

Pullstart

There was one at a local power equipment dealer parting out, but nothing they have can sell whole.  I agree, they are a Dixie Chooper heritage.  

I like cutting with my ZTR.  I seem to improve my methods every time I cut.  It leaves a great looking lawn and I can complete my lawn work in about 1/4 the time.  I’d love to pick up a ZTR that needs work, for use of parts for a crawler project.  That might would turn into my plow day rig! :D

• Like 3

c-series don

I remember my local Wheel Horse dealer had them for sale and claiming to have some crazy high mowing speed. I also recall that yes there was some affiliation with dixie chopper. 

• Thanks 1

SALTYWRIGHT

I HAVE A TORO Z-TURN 1999. I CAN CUT A LAWN IN ONE HALF THE TIME.  BLADE TIP SPEED IS TWO TIMES A REGULER MOWER. IT HAS 3SPEED TRANS AND HYD DRIVE. IT WILL TOP OUT AT 15 MPH.  BEST MOWER I HAVE EVER HAD.

• Like 1

skrusins

I sold a couple in 1987 18 hp kohler for $4700. They where bought for large lots and their speed.

• Like 2

WHX??

Wow looks like I started a debate on the merits & faults of a ZT. Not ny intentions I asure you. I'd put up a pic of mine but you canaries would strip me colors and throw me out the club...:lol:

6 hours ago, squonk said:

I know 3 things about 0 turns.

1. guys who run them go flat out leaving a crappy cut and a sore back even with suspension cause they are not keeping their blades sharp and are sallies.

2. I would get dizzy after about 5 min of use which I do anyway just standing up.

3. They sink a lot when clowns mow in swamps.

That said gonna go kick the tires tommorow and deliver a lawn roller to @Achto. Sorry @dclarke I ain't got a tractor with enough traction other than the plow mule to pull it up my hills. BTW the limited slip works on the 1067!  I need it I'll just sub out that seat time to Dan with his Rapherd and follow him around on an RJ...:rolleyes:

20200530_091154.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 6

dclarke
25 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Wow looks like I started a debate on the merits & faults of a ZT. Not ny intentions I asure you. I'd put up a pic of mine but you canaries would strip me colors and throw me out the club...:lol:

That said gonna go kick the tires tommorow and deliver a lawn roller to @Achto. Sorry @dclarke I ain't got a tractor with enough traction other than the plow mule to pull it up my hills. BTW the limited slip works on the 1067!  I need it I'll just sub out that seat time to Dan with his Rapherd and follow him around on an RJ...:rolleyes:

20200530_091154.jpg

Ya might want give those bearings on that roller a shot of grease, Jim.  I’m sure it’s been a while. 

squonk
10 hours ago, WHX24 said:

20200530_091154.jpg

Nice edit job! 

I used to to pull a roller like that with a 604 with Tecky power no less. Operator must be too heavy! :)

• Haha 3

Achto
17 hours ago, dclarke said:

Ya might want give those bearings on that roller a shot of grease, Jim.  I’m sure it’s been a while.

I gave the bearings a shot of grease today before rolling it around for a while.

18 hours ago, WHX24 said:

I need it I'll just sub out that seat time to Dan with his Rapherd and follow him around on an RJ...

I hooked up the roller to my C-141 for some "high speed" low 1 cruising :auto-driving: and smoothed out the crappy fill in job that the village did on each side of my drive way. I don't have much for hills here but I did have a few spots that gave me some traction issues. That roller is quite heavy. Sorry forgot to get pic's:hide:

Edited by Achto
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Sad 1

briankd
On 5/30/2020 at 12:51 PM, WHX24 said:

Anybody ever saw one of these? Anybody know any thing about them?  I have never till now. Local here on CL & I may go look at it just for the halibut. 

00i0i_cXlsKfhTjDm_600x450.jpg

00j0j_8DCJDNKkMFS_600x450.jpg

My employer had one of these back in the early nineties but it had toro  badgeing looks identacle. The wheel motors were Junk had to replace them every other year and the frame was cheap made they mower 4 acres with it around our shop was glad to see the boss get rid of it always broke and worked on it constantly I see this is chain drive ours had hydro wheel motors

Edited by briankd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Well Dan and I went and kicked the tires on the :wh: ZT but couldn't come to terms with the seller. He was asking 650 and I lowballed him at 200 and his bottom was 500. He did let me drive it and it ran really well. Not the original motor but not a bad repo. If I hadn't inherited my dad's ZT it probably would have been in the trailer. 

The drive train was quite unique. Off the crank side was a very familiar bell & hoop PTO that ran the deck. The flywheel side had a massive u-joint that twisted a three shafted gear box that was connected to two Eaton hydro gears that ran #50 roller chain to jackshafts  that ran two more sets of #50 to the wheels. Actually steered nice and a testament to why Dixie is still makeing ZT's.

Would have made a challenging resto project or use as is. I need another project like  Squonk needs another hole in the head tho. Dan you need to retire! :banana-wrench:

20200531_102658.jpg

20200531_102716.jpg

20200531_102614.jpg

• Like 4

Shynon
16 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Would have made a challenging resto project or use as is. I need another project

Yea I think you are correct you have tooooooooo many projects

• Haha 5

WHX??

This one had a frame that looked pretty hi test @briankd

Josh..... @PeacemakerJack I forgot to load that 3 speed. .my bad... :hide:

• Like 1

gwest_ca

The one that started it all

Garry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Achto
26 minutes ago, Shynon said:

Yea I think you are correct you have tooooooooo many projects

Never!! Just too little roof.:lol:

• Haha 3
  • Heart 1

WHX??

Ain't that the truth!

• Haha 3

Pullstart

Too bad you didn’t have to change your handle Jim.. though I have a feeling you’re a few name changes behind already...

• Haha 3