Zach w

Carb/throttle/choke assenbly 74 c120 auto 12hp

Zach w

I'm having trouble assembling the entire front end of this engine. The cables governor, choke, throttle etc. I just need pictures for reference. Anyone please

• Like 1

ebinmaine

:text-welcomeconfetti:

I can get a pic in an hour or two if someone else doesn't beat me to it...

• Excellent 1

Zach w

I'm having trouble assembling the entire front end of this engine. The cables governor, choke, throttle etc. I just need pictures for reference. Anyone please

Zach w

That would be great! Much appreciated!!

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Zach I did one better for you. Here's a just under 2 minute video that explains exactly what you need to do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Zach w

Life saver!

Zach w

Thank you very much! Made life so much easier lol

• Like 1

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, Zach w said:

Thank you very much! Made life so much easier lol

No worries. I've struggled with that one a couple times in the past. Figured I would put it all out in one place and string it in a line so you could see how it was connected from one end to the other.

Glad to help.

• Like 2

Herder

:WRS:

IMG_1300.JPG.3d2ee49f72674303f1940588a75993db.JPGIMG_1301.JPG.76d663d7d95f11cee9f6e4771c298458.JPG20181110_125306.jpg.37d996425d9cb288728e58773e2fa066.jpg

Hope these are helpful.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Zach w

Well she will be going back together this weekend. Thanks for all the help guys. Both will help. Confidence boost for sure

Zach w

Shes all painted abput to be put back together. All hand sanded primered multiple coats. She had many layers from pre existing owners. Leaked gas and destroyed all paint in front of engine. Alot of hours to get to this point. But getting excited she may get started today.

received_252649896153930.jpeg

• Excellent 4

Zach w

Someone painted the carb. Which was hell...

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Zach w said:

Someone painted the carb. Which was hell...

Been there...

Careful work with a wire brush..  

Zach w

Well she ran. But like an airplane about to take off. Correct me if I'm wrong thats just adjustment on carb? I'm an electrician not a mechanic lol. About mid throttle she just goes way to high. Throttle all the way down is about medium throttle. It doesnt happen to matter on govenor arms placement. Because there is more play in it but swings within its tolerance if that makes sense? 

ebinmaine

Most likely an adjustment point. Yes.

Even if the governor is working fine you do still need to double-check that it's at correct adjustment. I can't remember how to do that off the top of my head but there's other threads that will tell. It's very easy.

@pullstart

@953 nut

Maybe one of those guys could tell you off the top of their head.

Once the governor adjustment is set then you need to double-check your initial carburetor settings. They vary engine to engine. I have a chart at home that shows what's what.

Your carb screws will probably baseline somewhere around 2 or 2.25 turns out.

Once those are done you can go back and check the attachment points of your linkages. Careful not to go by the video I sent you because mine are customized a bit.

Don't be concerned if it takes you several tries to get it the way you want it. They can be tough to get "just right." 

Pullstart

Welcome!  I was away this weekend and I’ve been a bit scatterbrained with things around here... so thanks EB for pulling me in.

Setting the governor I’ve found is best a three handed job.  Since we don’t get put together with much of a third arm, I typically use a pair of vice grips with my 7/16” wrenches.  Loosen the bolt clamping the gov arm to the shaft.  Hang the vice grips off the side of the shaft to pull it CCW from the front of the engine.... or down toward the PTO pulley.  Follow the same direction with the throttle shaft and gov. arm.  Hold it at W.O.T. and tighten that bolt.  Whahllah! it should be set correctly.  

• Like 1

Zach w

Okay thank you will be trying today

• Like 1

Zach w

So in other words gov arm should be all the way to right as possible. Which makes sense bc if its not it would allow engine to run faster...which I believe its centered in its play. Bc I wasnt sure

ebinmaine

The governor shaft needs to be turned as far as counter-clockwise as possible. Don't reef on it. It'll move easy. Just hold it in place. Then pull the throttle linkage as far as it will go in the same direction as well.

Zach w

Okay awesome thank you