D_Mac

I am back in the club !! New to me Horse.

kasey54

Looks like a good one! I've seen some c-161 twins( B+S)

• Thanks 1

kasey54

The 16 hp single cylinder kohler is second to none.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

Achto

Nice looking tractor!! The C161 was only made in '78 & '79. 16hp Kohler is one beast of a thump-er.  The hand operated hydro may take a bit to get used to. I spent my child hood driving a hand operated hydro so a foot operated hydro seems foreign to me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

NICE! :handgestures-thumbupright:

And this one's the right color!!! :ychain:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

c-series don

I believe the 78-79 C -161 automatic was the pinnacle of the C series. Some may argue that because of the shaker style engine mounts, however to me it’s the Cadillac of Wheel Horses because soon after they started making things too complicated with wiring and electronics that are totally unnecessary. I have most of the 78-79 C-series models made. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

12Horse Paladin

SWEET.

😊😁😊👍🏼

gwest_ca

Added your serial number to the list. Could not read the build date at the bottom.

Garry

• Thanks 1

chip61

Nice!! You can't beat the C160/C161. No frills, easy to operate and easy to work on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

tom2p

great looking C-161

D_Mac is back !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

D_Mac

I have a thousand question but I will start with this one..... why are some C series hoods black and others red?

• Like 1

ZXT
23 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

I have a thousand question but I will start with this one..... why are some C series hoods black and others red?

On that style hood, I don't think you'll find a black one. Later tractors got the different hood and it was black depending on the year.

• Excellent 1

squonk

Well the garage is full now! :) Going to need a bigger yard! :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

Pollack Pete

VERY nice C-161.Been ressurecting a C-161 Eight Speed.Mowed with it for the first time yesterday.Love the 16 horse Kohler.Have fun with your new toy.

• Like 3

953 nut

:woohoo:                           Not only is D Mac back, now he is the newest member of the "Black Hood Club".                 :text-coolphotos:

BlackHoodlogo.png

• Confused 1

Pullstart

Awesome save!  

If you hit the brake, does it actually stop / return to neutral?  If so, you’re ahead of all of my hydro units.  If not, that can be adjusted fairly easily.  

As for the leak, if you can get to it, see if the source is near the motion control system.  There are a couple o-rings in that part that tend to flatten and leak.  @pfrederi taught me that.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

squonk
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:woohoo:                           Not only is D Mac back, now he is the newest member of the "Black Hood Club".                 :text-coolphotos:

BlackHoodlogo.png

Only with a can of spray paint! :lol:

D_Mac
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

BlackHoodlogo.png

Is it still considered a black hood? 

2 hours ago, pullstart said:

Awesome save!  

If you hit the brake, does it actually stop / return to neutral?  If so, you’re ahead of all of my hydro units.  If not, that can be adjusted fairly easily.  

As for the leak, if you can get to it, see if the source is near the motion control system.  There are a couple o-rings in that part that tend to flatten and leak.  @pfrederi taught me that.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Yes when I press the brake it stops and goes to neutral.

Alright gentleman. Was out early this AM giving my new Horse a look over. The previous owner glue a piece of vinyl all over the seat. Wrapped it up. Looked horrible. I got the vinyl off but glue all over the tractor. gonna need a new seat. Right now its serviceable. I notice the hood gets real hot after its running. Its that comman because the muffler is so close to it? Even the air cleaner is real hot. Speaking of the air cleaner.... I noticed it is cracked and ready to break off. In the picture you can see the crack, with the engine running and vibrating crack appears much longer. Not going to last very long. What are my options? Other then the lights not working it seems to run really good. It came with rear wheel weights. If I have no plow or snowblower do I need them? One is really good shape the other looks like it has been run along side a curb. What the value of them? I aslo would like to take the deck off. Does the hydro make it any different then my old 308? I would like to address the crack on the carb first. I can not find a tag on the engine.

20200526_093646.jpg

20200526_093738.jpg

20200526_093706.jpg

20200525_205532.jpg

20200525_205552.jpg

Edited by D_Mac
  • Like 1

peter lena

D-MAC , looks like you have a very solid piece there, in addition to anything you look at that needs maintenance , a very thorough baseline service  ,  all oils , greasing , lubricate all cables for function , get some seafoam in the gas , look for wire chafing and posible mounting issues. the seat issue is easy , look at agri fab for exact w/h mounting seat pattern ,and good prices . you really scored with a good solid looking horse, keep us informed , pete 

• Thanks 1

D_Mac
5 minutes ago, peter lena said:

D-MAC , looks like you have a very solid piece there, in addition to anything you look at that needs maintenance , a very thorough baseline service  ,  all oils , greasing , lubricate all cables for function , get some seafoam in the gas , look for wire chafing and posible mounting issues. the seat issue is easy , look at agri fab for exact w/h mounting seat pattern ,and good prices . you really scored with a good solid looking horse, keep us informed , pete 

Oh no doubt I will go through all that. I will change all the fluids. They tranny oil was really low I just added some. I will change it. Right now my plate is full with the Lambert. I want to address the carb before I make a mess of it.

Pullstart

That air cleaner base comes off the carb.  It looks like it’s been siliconed on?  Try pulling it apart to inspect for overall damage.  There should be three screws holding the base to the carb.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

D_Mac
2 minutes ago, pullstart said:

That air cleaner base comes off the carb.  It looks like it’s been siliconed on?  Try pulling it apart to inspect for overall damage.  There should be three screws holding the base to the carb.

Yeah I thought it was all one piece. Didnt make seance to me but I am no mechanic. I thought about JB weld but if it comes off I will look for a new one

Pullstart

I might just need some screws?