DoctorP

NEW TO WHEELHORSE

DoctorP

Hello. I am new to Wheelhorse and new to this forum. I just purchased a completely restored C-120 from Wheel Horse Stables in Harrodsburg, Ky. which is about an hour southwest from my home. This is my first Wheelhorse tractor. I am 70 years old and newly retired after 30 years in pastoral ministry followed by 17 years as a college professor. My wife and I live on a 1 acre lot on the edge of a small town and I bought the Wheel Horse to keep up the yard and do other jobs around the place. My first questions on this forum are:

1. How can I determine the year of production for my Wheelhorse?

2. Where is the best place to find an Operators Manual for this tractor?

3. What does a first time Wheelhorse owner need to know about the C-120 from the git-go?

Thank you for your time and I look forward to interacting on this forum in the future.

Regards, Alan David Profitt (DoctorP)

• Like 6

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

You're in the right place!

There is an owner's manual section on the main page. Has pretty much all the info you will need.

These are great tractors and a great bunch of people on this site who know pretty much everything there is to know about WH tractors and are willing to help you out... Oh, they will want pictures!!!

• Like 2

DoctorP

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to clean it up a bit. I'm a bit ashamed for Gene Strickland to see what i've done to his beautiful paint job already. I am pretty rough on tractors mowing through brush and in high weeds so it's a working tractor for sure. I'll post some pics later today. Thanks again.  DoctorP

• Like 1

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti: @DoctorP!

Is your tractor an 8 speed, or automatic?  The autos take either 10W30 or ATF depending on what was in them from the start.  Brown is oil, red is ATF.  Engine oil should be 30W Non Detergent oil and otherwise, general maintenance is pretty easy!  Make sure to jack the front of the frame up (under the engine area) when greasing the front end, to allow the grease to get to where it is needed the most... on the contact surfaces of the pivots.  

• Like 1

bottjernat1

:text-welcomewave::flags-usa: This will be the best place for 99 percent of your wheelhorse needs! and if your ever in the northeast indiana area i am from avilla i may have parts you need as well!

lynnmor

Clean oil is the most important, change engine oil and transmission fluid regularly.  Don't store it for long periods of time with untreated gasoline, especially if it contains ethanol.  I use Stabil in the gas if it won't be consumed in a month.  Many here use ethanol free gasoline, I use it if the tractor won't be in regular use.  Check if it is available in your area at https://www.pure-gas.org/

• Like 2

DoctorP

Thanks to all:

To Pullstart: yes it is an 8 - speed but definitely not an automatic, fluid drive, or hydrostatic...it's a "shift it yourself" manual transmission.

To Bottjernat: Probably won't be traveling northward but may need to contact you about parts in time to come.

To lynnmor: got it! Apprciate the info.

How can I determine what year my Wheel Horse was manuractured?

Regards to all, DoctorP

Edited by DoctorP
  • Like 2

WHNJ701

you should be able to rough date from engine numbers, I am a little confused buying "fully restored" would think the seller should have answered these questions for you.

the manuals are the site 

DoctorP

I'm sure I didn't ask. The fault was mine and not his. Ignorance has always been my trademark. Thanks,  I appreciate the heads up. DoctorP

Lee1977

The C-120 was built from 1974 until 1977. I bought mine new in 1977. If the  seat flips back to the rear it's a 74 or 75. If  the seat flip up over the steering wheel it's a 76 or 77. 

• Like 1

12Horse Paladin

Congrats & welcome!

I have a soft spot in my heart for the c120; my Dad having owned & used them the bulk of the time; convinced there is nothing else you need for anything youd ask of a garden tractor. 

Itll always be a 'favorite' tho i like them all!

You will get all thevinfo you need here!

And btw...we like pics😉

Here is a pic of a most recent one my Dad pickedup, n cleanedup...also probably his best WH  deal to date; as you can see, in the 'before' pic, of the fleet, all are 12horse Horses.

20190919_190935.jpg

IMG_1396.JPG

Edited by 12Horse Paladin

WHX??

:WRS:

16 minutes ago, jabelman said:

, I am a little confused buying "fully restored" would think the seller should have answered these questions for you.

My thoughts too and the fact Geno did not have or provide the manuals??

If you can get us a pic of the id tag off the tractor and the engine showing model & serial numbers we can nail things down for you and get you the manuals you need. 

1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Oh, they will want pictures!!!

They or you Sylvia !?!?!? :ychain: What he is trying to say Doc is we love our :text-coolphotos: here! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

DoctorP

Thanks Lee 1977... I'll head out to the shop in a few minutes to see how the seat flips and get back to you on that.

Thanks to 12 Horse Palidin on the encouraging words.

Thanks to WHX24... I'll try to get out to the shop directly and see if I can run down the id tag. I'm a bit constricted by some age issues that prevent me from getting down too low, but I'll get back with you on what I find out.

I appreciate all the help and will let you know about seat and id tags.

Regards, DoctorP

Edited by DoctorP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

:text-welcomeconfetti:

WHX??

Looks to a be '76... 

Case looks to be a nice one! :handgestures-thumbupright:

7 minutes ago, DoctorP said:

e risk of being banned from the forum on my first day, I included a pic of a Case 195 that I myself restored

We like all brands... well most others … no green & yellow! :lol:

There is a other brands section here so feel free to put up some more of that Case... My second fav brand

Give me a minute and I will hunt down some manuals for ya. 

DoctorP

I'll try to do that, Jim. That Case came to me in two cardboard boxes of parts, a transaxle, broken and bent frame, and 4 tires, 2 of which wouldn't hold air. I really got taken on that deal. i sent a fellow I thought I could trust a check for $600 and a mutual friend brought the boxes of parts, etc. from Maryland and met me in central West Virginia. It was not my best day. Anyway, can I ask you how you put the Navy insignia on your ID? I'd like to put an Army on mine if I could. thanks... DoctorP

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

WHX??

You most certainly can,  any Moderator  can do it for you...….. @stevasaurus ??? 

Thank you for serving....:USA:

• Like 1

WHNJ701

I like that case tractor

25 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Looks to a be '76... 

Case looks to be a nice one! :handgestures-thumbupright:

We like all brands... well most others … no green & yellow! :lol:

There is a other brands section here so feel free to put up some more of that Case... My second fav brand

Give me a minute and I will hunt down some manuals for ya. 

I don't know?????    I see some green on that piece of cardboard in that case photo!!

• Haha 1

WHX??
10 minutes ago, jabelman said:

green on that piece of cardboard in that case photo!!

lol...I'll go to bat here for ya Doc …. he was painting his wife's lawn ornament. :lol:

Couldn't  find much on a 76 120 but here are some things that will get you started.

Perhaps @gwest_ca our excellent files moderator can find some more. He may also be interested in that serial number. 

Tractor 1975 C-100 C-120 C-160 OM Wiring #803975 (1).pdf Tractor 1976 B & C-Series 8-spd #3 TIPL for #803452R4.pdf Kohler K241-K341 Owner_'s Manual Rev. 8-97.pdf

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1

DoctorP

Well, boys...now I've had the lick, I can see that for sure! I must confess, I'm restoring a little 1969 JD model 60 for our youngest grandchild. At 4 years old, it will fit him perfectly. I'm ditching the original Tecumseh and replacing it with a Predator 173cc pull start to keep him from getting on it and turning the key without me around. I hated the Tecumseh anyway and it never would run right...I could not get the governor to work properly. Yep, I guess I'm a man of all colors but look at it this way, isn't it sort of good to have a convert to the color red? (I hope so...boys, don't throw me off and whoever stevasaurus is, I'd appreciate the US Army insignia if possible. Thanks jabelman...you've made me 'fess up!  DoctorP

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

DoctorP

Thanks, Jim for the manuals. Just what the doctor ordered!  dp

DoctorP

Does the topic go to a page 2 or just continue right on down on this page? i can't find a page 2 if there is one. dp

WHX??

It will automatically start a 2nd page when this one fills up.

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:           Looks like the boys have your questions covered.

The C-120 Hydro  w/ HH120 Tecumseh   was my first Wheel Horse.            It ran perfect when I bought it 25+ years ago  and still runs perfect  today never needing anything.

I have probably had 50+ WH tractors since then, but the C-120 is still in the barn.

IMG_3618.JPG.1084673c24bc9dd0d1839db2f93fc0cf.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3