Driver.Copeland.James

New fan needs info

Driver.Copeland.James

Hi folks. Joined up today after searching the forums for info that I still can't find. I have been a Toro Groundsmaster fan for years. My wife's preference for traditional/conventional riding mowers and my Toro loyalty led me here. 

I've been looking to step up to a newer model from the 520H. Can someone please tell me difference between the 520xi, 520Lxi, and 522xi? I would greatly appreciate it.

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack
27 minutes ago, Driver.Copeland.James said:

I've been looking to step up to a newer model from the 520H. Can someone please tell me difference between the 520xi, 520Lxi, and 522xi? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks Kevin for tagging me.

Welcome @Driver.Copeland.James To the Wheel Horse forum.  I’m going to tag @19richie66 because if I’m not mistaken he has lots of time around those Groundsmasters.  

Regarding the xi series, they are awesome machines.  The last true Garden Tractor that Toro built and slapped the Wheel Horse name on.  They all have a Hi/Lo range Eaton 1100 Hydrostatic transmission mated to the all cast iron, time tested Uni-Drive rear end.  They had hydraulic lift with some models having power steering.  As I recall there were multiple models including the 518xi, 520xi, 522 xi which all were powered with the Kohler Command V-twin with the HP being the last two numbers.  There was the 520Lxi which the L stood for liquid cooled and it had they’ve awesome 20hp Kawasaki FD620D engine which is found in JD’s and Commerical Cub Cadets of the same era.  The flagship of the line and pretty hard to find is the 523Dxi which has a Daihatsu 3 cylinder 23hp Diesel engine. They are amazingly well built machines and very heavy, tipping the scales at over 1000# without any attachments.  Speaking of attachments, they are unique to the xi series and can’t be shared with any of the other horses or vice-versa without major modifications.  If you find one that has been well taken care of, you won’t be disappointed.  They were introduced in 1998 and I believe the last models came out around 2005.  

Good luck in your hunt!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Driver.Copeland.James

Thanks Jack! I missed a sweet deal on a Dxi a couple years ago, and have kicked myself ever since. I recently found a 520, but I'm not sure if it's an xi or Lxi. I'll be going to look at it day after tomorrow. It does have the 60" fabricated deck, but I fear it wasn't well maintained. It's advertised at $1,000... I'm offering $600.

The Eaton axle is another question. I know Allis Chalmers also used one of their axles and it had limited slip. Does the Wheel Hprse version have the same, or a locking diff?

jay bee

:WRS:

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Thanks 1

19richie66

Xi and groundsmasters are totally different machines, both of which I would own for mowing and maintaining my land. Just depends on the groundsmaster though. Expensive to repair like all Toro stuff especially if it wasn’t treated well by previous owners. The Xi would be a more versatile machine. Only dislike I had for the Xi was the steering/acceleration linkage crap which is easily undone. Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Thanks 1

Achto

• Thanks 1

WHX??

11 hours ago, Driver.Copeland.James said:

Does the Wheel Hprse version have the same, or a locking diff?

No sadly they never have. 

• Thanks 1

bottjernat1

LOL my deere has a locking dif see the orange pedal on the floor. it comes in handy. 

x540.JPG

Driver.Copeland.James
On 5/7/2020 at 9:53 AM, bottjernat1 said:

LOL my deere has a locking dif see the orange pedal on the floor. it comes in handy. 

x540.JPG

Sadly enough, I can't afford that green paint 😂😂😂

Driver.Copeland.James
On 5/7/2020 at 5:37 AM, 19richie66 said:

Xi and groundsmasters are totally different machines, both of which I would own for mowing and maintaining my land. Just depends on the groundsmaster though. Expensive to repair like all Toro stuff especially if it wasn’t treated well by previous owners. The Xi would be a more versatile machine. Only dislike I had for the Xi was the steering/acceleration linkage crap which is easily undone. Good luck!

Yeah. If you want to keep the linkage intact, all it takes is a bolt and nylok nut.