Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

lynnmor

I would tell the neighbor that a serious adjustment will be made.  My renter decided to violate the lease and bought a dog, she will be getting a letter Monday and will be leaving.

• Like 2

Stormin

Mowed the green and verges before it rains. 

• Like 2

lynnmor
26 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Mowed the green and verges before it rains. 

Since  "verges"  are something that isn't a common word in my area, could you describe it with words or photos?  :scratchead:

• Like 2

Stormin
31 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Since  "verges"  are something that isn't a common word in my area, could you describe it with words or photos?  :scratchead:

Verges are the grass areas at the sides of roads/lanes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

I laid down a dozen or more decent sized trees (10 - 18" diameter) and at least as many smaller ones.  Me, Trina and her mom limbed up 4 of the bigger ones. Started cutting one to 16" pieces. Got a good amount done.  

Been awhile since I've had enough energy to do that much in a day. Years actually. 

Left elbow is pretty angry at me (tendonitis) but otherwise I feel alright. 

Nice to be back up and going a little. Hoping this keeps improving.  

• Like 4

Horse Newbie

After the joy ride on the 1984 Work Horse I started getting the weeds and grass out from around the crepe myrtles… ran into some fire ants, and now I’ll have to wait for them to settle down before I can finish weeding…

40056C13-2A07-4692-BF98-D23243D56795.jpeg

• Like 2

Oldskool
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I laid down a dozen or more decent sized trees (10 - 18" diameter) and at least as many smaller ones.  Me, Trina and her mom limbed up 4 of the bigger ones. Started cutting one to 16" pieces. Got a good amount done.  

Been awhile since I've had enough energy to do that much in a day. Years actually. 

Left elbow is pretty angry at me (tendonitis) but otherwise I feel alright. 

Nice to be back up and going a little. Hoping this keeps improving.  

Some that big around would make nice lumber

• Like 2

Lee1977

Got my flag pole up. Call my neighbor to help.

SAM-1506.jpg

SAM-1507-2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Oldskool said:

Some that big around would make nice lumber

No way to get it out the forest though. 

We don't want a big road going down through there.  

Been mulling over how to get some of the hemlocks out for boards.   

• Like 1

Oldskool
31 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Been mulling over how to get some of the hemlocks out for boards.   

Log arch? Colossus? Log arch on both ends so there will be 4 wheels under it.?

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Log arch on both ends so there will be 4 wheels under it.?

THAT is a possibility

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
8 hours ago, Stormin said:

Verges are the grass areas at the sides of roads/lanes

Down south, USA, we call those ditches…:lol:

A verge is when we are about to do something…

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Haha 3

Stormin

Ditches are drainage channels over here. Gutters is the more common name in this area. Verges are edges or you could be on the verge of doing/on something. 

We speak proper English. :UK:

• Haha 5

ebinmaine
31 minutes ago, Stormin said:

We speak proper English

Here in the Nawtheast we destroy proper English.  :flags-usa:

:ROTF:

• Haha 4

ranger
7 hours ago, Stormin said:

Ditches are drainage channels over here. Gutters is the more common name in this area. Verges are edges or you could be on the verge of doing/on something. 

Another name for ditches in this part of the UK is included in the title of this dvd. Channels is the term used by local authorities to describe the area between the road and the pavement. We ordinary people call them gutters! (Here we go again, pavement in the UK 🇬🇧 is the pedestrian walkway. In the US🇺🇸 it refers to the actual road). But  you have to be very careful nowadays Norm. Many words seem to have different connotations in the same language, but in other societies! 

(dvd is actually quite interesting).image.jpg.f0c3f1a281a6aa91ea9cf6b182ca901a.jpg

Edited by ranger
  • Like 3

Lee1977
6 hours ago, Stormin said:

Well bless your heart.  Down South that has a double meaning. We added words and fraises to the English language to make it Southern. On the verge of doing something, we shorten to Fixin To..

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Lee1977 We could blow @Stormin mind with how we pronounce SOB , first word sounds like sum .

• Haha 4

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@Lee1977 We could blow @Stormin mind with how we pronounce SOB , first word sounds like sum .

Quite a fair amount of those local colloquialisms appear in Maine too...

:lol:

• Haha 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

We all have quite a few but since this is a family forum , they can't be published.  

• Haha 3

ranger
28 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

SOB, favourite saying of “Beauford, T, Justice”, referring to Bert Reynolds in “Bandit”

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Stormin

I'm quite aware of the need to be careful with certain words meanings. :D Only a few on here know I have family in the States. Even in North Dakota among the Sioux.  :lol:

BTW. Doug (ranger) They refer to hedges as dykes up here. Confused even me, a Lancastrian, when I first settled in Cumbria.

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 3

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, Stormin said:

n North Dakota among the Sioux

One of Trina's longtime friends is a Lakota.

Lovely people.  

We went out to Mandan and Bismarck to visit a few years ago. Absolutely positively fascinating place to be.

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

Pretty simple for a what I did [yester] today.  My wife and I picked up sticks after massive straight line winds. We had a wet dust storm a couple of weeks ago that was so strong that it stripped pretty much all the bean stubble and a good deal of topsoil from the neighbors field. Also some year old corn cobs. i had a free harbor freight pick up tool and she used a much nicer reach tool with the suction cups. Just amazing how much fun we had teasing each other about our tools and their limitations.   Also a nice spring day, and the yard got a better de-sticking than normal with a lot less effort.

Grass growth is a bit behind last year as are the crops being planted. the one space where the sunlight reflects from the house is ready once it quits raining.Today is the C-160 coming out of the storage place and being serviced. Life is good.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

ohiofarmer
On 4/10/2022 at 2:01 AM, lynnmor said:

I would tell the neighbor that a serious adjustment will be made.  My renter decided to violate the lease and bought a dog, she will be getting a letter Monday and will be leaving.

I hope that you had better luck than i did during the pandemic obligation of no evictions. I completely lost my faith in the constitution as it was later confirmed I was correct by the supreme court. I lost at least two grand and counting...

• Sad 1

lynnmor
6 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Well lets just play the song.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2