Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

ClassicTractorProfessor
14 hours ago, pullstart said:

@HandyProfessor Bryce are you still in the tow truck too and wrench in downtime, or full time mechanic now?  

Yes still driving the tow truck as well, The shop I work at is a full service tire shop, but we also do 24 hr towing, and starting to take on more and more mechanic work as well. I will do tire work around the shop, but I made it very clear when I started that I am a mechanic and a wrecker operator, not a tire guy. I will be on 24 hr call for the wrecker for days at a time without complaints, but I refuse to take a tire call after hours. 

But anyhow, today’s project was getting my tool cart cleaned out, and most everything transferred over to the new truck. I’m sure I will end up reorganizing it a thousand times before I get it how I like. Just a quick picture I got of the socket drawer, will get more pics as I get it all set up.

ACE71AE3-1F78-466E-B02E-CA54771D1A4A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 6

OldWorkHorse

Made a quick axle and got some tires and tossed them on the trailer @ebinmaine gave me the other night. Might be old but alot more solid then the 1 I have :laughing-rofl: thank you!

20210314_152416.jpg

20210314_151810.jpg

• Like 5

elcamino/wheelhorse

After lunch I decided to change the tires on the front of the 1974 C -120. Thought about tubes then I started on the $)((&^^$%# tires with the floor model  HF tire machine . After more $%^&*()(&^%$$# , I went to my friend Mr sawzall , first tire came off with some effort. The second tire wanted to fight me tooth and nail. Had to cut the sucker in 2 places. Boy those steel cords were tough in both tires. Ending dulling 2 blades. Surprisingly just a little surface rust on the inside of both rims . Will start clean up inside and out with wire wheels this week.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, OldWorkHorse said:

the trailer @ebinmaine gave me the other night. Might be old but alot more solid then the 1 I have :laughing-rofl: thank you

Glad to see it back in service!!!

You're quite welcome. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
44 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I started on the $)((&^^$%# tires

Hope ya didn't snap a suspender  Jimmy......sounds a little strenuous for an old retired guy.         :deadhorse:

• Haha 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Ed Kennell suspenders made out fine , did have to sit down a couple a times to let my hands quit vibrating from the sawzall. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Pullstart

I grabbed 13 bales of straw for free... leftovers from a construction project a couple minutes away.  They have been wet quite a few times, but I’ve 15 happy chickens!

312FC212-DA1C-4CF9-B7C7-E4E1C881F7C2.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

@Jeff-C175 great panoramic shot!  Looks like a great outcome!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

OldWorkHorse

Picked up some steel need for the 1257H build and a new saw to cut it with! :tools-wrench:

20210317_192902.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
54 minutes ago, OldWorkHorse said:

Picked up some steel need for the 1257H build and a new saw to cut it with! :tools-wrench:

20210317_192902.jpg

Keep us posted on how that works

• Like 1

OldWorkHorse
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Keep us posted on how that works

Watched a video of it cutting a railroad tie in half... so hopping pretty well. Tossed out the blade it came with bought high end 1s but alot good reviews so I'm optimistic lol

• Like 2

Tractorhead
5 hours ago, OldWorkHorse said:

Watched a video of it cutting a railroad tie in half... so hopping pretty well. Tossed out the blade it came with bought high end 1s but alot good reviews so I'm optimistic lol

I have the same ( different brand) but same lookout and i bet same manufacturer.

i love her, cuz she cuts pretty nice, i hope you get the same good results.

can also be used on construction sites without the mount but i use it just for my Projects,

but i had no doubt it will survive continousely work.

On mine a lightly wobbling in the whole machine can be felt while running,

this is exactly where the saw band is welded together.

mine works since several Projects very nice.

Next day‘s i must first time change the saw band.

• Excellent 1

Ed Kennell
On 3/15/2021 at 11:59 AM, Jeff-C175 said:

image.png.30420d49fa600475ebdb20a01230cd4d.png

That angled subfloor brings back childhood memories.     Back in the day  many houses were sold for cheap to make room for a local College expansion project.  My Grandfather bought  these houses and dismantled them saving every brick, block, and board.       My  summer job as a 12yo was to clean mortar from the brick and block and pull all the nails and stack the lumber.     We then built some new homes using the recycled materials.

I remember using the dutchlap siding as subflooring.    The siding was installed up side down and at an angle as in your picture.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Lee1977
On 3/14/2021 at 4:53 PM, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

After lunch I decided to change the tires on the front of the 1974 C -120. Thought about tubes then I started on the $)((&^^$%# tires with the floor model  HF tire machine . After more $%^&*()(&^%$$# , I went to my friend Mr sawzall , first tire came off with some effort. The second tire wanted to fight me tooth and nail. Had to cut the sucker in 2 places. Boy those steel cords were tough in both tires. Ending dulling 2 blades. Surprisingly just a little surface rust on the inside of both rims . Will start clean up inside and out with wire wheels this week.

I use a side grinder with a cutting blade for the steel cords. Have to be careful to not cut the rim.

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

installed up side down and at an angle as in your picture

Cool stuff!  I like to recycle and re-use.  All of the cement blocks I used for this project (about a dozen and a half or so) were picked up over the past years and stacked behind my garage... because I might need them someday!  I recently got a truckload from one of the members here in fact.  (thanks @DCwom !)  I also have a large number of used brick and when I'm really bored will get out the chipping hammer and clean and stack them.  I have a few hundred cleaned, ready to build a barbecue pit...  someday.  Some of these brick are hundreds of years old!

It was pretty common to install subfloor at a 45° angle back then.  Those are T&G SYP 1x4 boards.  Pretty sure they installed at the angle for structural rigidity.  No structure more rigid than a triangle!  

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

squonk
On 3/14/2021 at 4:53 PM, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

:text-worthless:

squonk
On 3/14/2021 at 5:56 PM, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@Ed Kennell suspenders made out fine , did have to sit down a couple a times to let my hands quit vibrating from the sawzall. 

I take it the straight jacket I sent you didn't arrive? 

• Haha 2

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Did, but probably worn out from the PO.

elcamino/wheelhorse
1 hour ago, squonk said:

:text-worthless:

You ever tried to use a sawzall and take a picture. Can't be done.

• Haha 2

elcamino/wheelhorse
1 hour ago, squonk said:

I take it the straight jacket I sent you didn't arrive? 

I put it on Mrs. El Camino , you for got the gag for her mouth.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Ed Kennell
3 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I put it on Mrs. El Camino , you for got the gag for her mouth.

Gettin a little reckless with your life there Jimmy.

• Haha 5

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Ed Kennell Ed I had to retire in October 2006 due to a back injury , Mrs. El started on back surgeries in 2015 ( there have been 4 ) she is still on heavy duty pain pills. When she takes a pill she starts talking and can't stop . 2 pills and she talks faster . She and I have been together 24/7 since October 2006. She took 2 pills this morning and it is too rainy and wet to take a walk .

Edited by elcamino/wheelhorse
can't spell
  • Haha 3
  • Heart 1

Ed Kennell
20 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

She and I have been together 24/7 since October 2006.

You're a tougher bird than me Jim.     I've been taking care of Mrs K for 24/7 for   ONLY   8 weeks.     She was been wheel chair bound since her foot surgery.

Image result for they shoot horses ics

• Sad 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

We married them for better or worse . Just have to take what life throws in your path. Hope Mrs. K gets out of the wheel chair soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 2