Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

Mickwhitt

My efforts look positively pedestrian compared to Kev. 

I spent a little time in the shop making a litter bin  lid for a 45 gal oil drum so we can use it on the community project. 

Then came a job fixing an expensive Italian dining table that a drunk teenager had table surfed on at a party and collapsed.  Had to make steel trusses to strengthen the corners where wood had split. Came out ok.

All mixed in with a little tidying up the bone yard ready for a run to the dump.

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

Coming together nicely Jim...too bad I’m on the other side of the lake or I’d gladly help you out.  Definitely gotta be careful buying too much lumber right now as prices are highly inflated...hopefully they start dropping soon cause $25 for a sheet of 7/16 OSB is crazy🤪

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

sheet of 7/16 OSB

Holy price gouge Batman!!

In my part of the building industry we are dealing with everything on the outside of a building and I knew dimensional lumber was headed up but I didn't realize sheep goods had gone that high.

A high quality building contractor here in Portland was telling me about a week ago that the 2x 6s he's been using were about $4.30 two months ago. They are now sitting just below $7.

Of equal concern to him is that the quality of the stick goods is way way down. 

He only uses the pieces that are very straight and doesn't even incorporate banana shaped ones into sandwiches or headers or beams.

Used to be able to buy a Unit of 289 pieces and maybe return between 20 and 50 of those.

The last Unit he bought he only used about 40% of it and returned the rest. Bought another Unit to get more material.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Mickwhitt

Not much to report as its been a damp few days.

Im almost done fixing the aluminium mower deck that has corroded badly.

The glue I'm using the stick new sections of aluminium in looks pretty good so far and as soon as it has cured I will take the clamps off and get some pictures.

Done a few bits on the community project but not much to write home about. 

Oh did another yoga class on Saturday,  nice girl from Australia running it and i enjoyed it a lot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Mickwhitt said:

did another yoga class on Saturday

I've been training with Trina and her Sensei once or twice a week via zoom.

Two different schools of thought on japanese karate. (Hers and husband's)

We've rearranged the house a bit to accommodate. 

My part of the workouts have been 30 minutes +/-.

Just enough to get a great calorie burn and learn some very interesting new skills. 

Likely be awhile before I can win against anyone but myself in a butt kicking contest but it's fun. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine

Then there's Trina.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Since this thread began on the east side of the pond, I’ll say that I fitted Norman’s bonnet today and pulled him outta’ the shop!

The only thing left is to vacuum the A/C system down and recharge it with fresh oil and freon.

2C73C1CC-29D5-425A-BE05-4AA2555C6BB0.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

Pullstart

Our RV awning tore about 6 months after buying it new.  I was too pissed to even make the call to have it fixed, so we’ve dealt with it for almost 2 years.  Well, we finally decided it’s time to fix it.

Today was the day.

Never.  Again.

01873281-4D10-461A-961D-A41041E47913.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

lynnmor
41 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Our RV awning tore about 6 months after buying it new.  I was too pissed to even make the call to have it fixed, so we’ve dealt with it for almost 2 years.  Well, we finally decided it’s time to fix it.

Today was the day.

Never.  Again.

I hate my power awning, almost useless.  Unless there is perfect weather it needs to be rolled up, so what is the point in having one?  Give me a manual awning any day.

• Like 2

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

I hate my power awning, almost useless.  Unless there is perfect weather it needs to be rolled up, so what is the point in having one?  Give me a manual awning any day.

This one at least has the auto drop when a 25 lb pressure is applied to the top.  I think the underlying issue was that it never quite rolled up square and it was crooked from the factory, pulling too much in the outer front corner.

squonk
6 hours ago, pullstart said:

Since this thread began on the east side of the pond, I’ll say that I fitted Norman’s bonnet today and pulled him outta’ the shop!

The only thing left is to vacuum the A/C system down and recharge it with fresh oil and freon.

Unless you drained all of the oil out of the system, only add the amount drained. I have seen guys add too much oil and destroy compressors. Rule of thumb: compressor 4 oz. Condenser 2 oz Evap and lines 1oz each. If you didn't see any oil come out, do not add any. Get straight refrigerant. Do not buy the combination refrigerant ,oil and sealer cans.

• Thanks 1

WHX??
6 hours ago, pullstart said:

Save it when you come over here... all the needed stuff and lots of R134a. If you got it leak free ... good luck with that! 

squonk
On 9/30/2020 at 10:15 PM, WHX24 said:

Got the Quincy making air and a good start on the piping. Shop is trashed worse than @pullstarts but we'll getter cleaned up. Working on the hi test shelves but coulda used @PeacemakerJacks help ... I suck these days at carpentry! imageproxy.php?img=&key=74de1d643bd8402f

Can't believe the price of lumber these days ...over seventy bucks for a small stack of 2X !

20200930_204049.jpg

20200930_204002.jpg

You have the water trap too close to the compressor. For serious blasting you need the air to cool in the metal pipes so the moisture will release from the air.

Tech Tips

Minimize moisture in your air lines with metal piping

Click to Download & Print Metal Piping Diagram (PDF)

Let's talk shop ... piping that is. When we moved into our Canfield, Ohio plant, we had a shop full of air tools and needed to get set up quickly. We ran temporary rubber air hoses with 4-way crosses and quick connectors. Hoses, crosses and connectors were everywhere! Well, it wasn't long before we started having problems - air drills were failing, air rivet guns would not operate properly, and shears and other air-operated equipment were out of order more often than not. The reason for this is simple. By using long lengths of air hoses, moisture stayed in a vapor form, which passed through our water separators. It didn't matter how many water separators we had installed; moisture worked its way into our air tools, causing premature failure.

We needed to make a change fast, so we equipped our entire shop with metal piping. The result was no more burned out air tools, no more clogged air filters and fittings, and our air tools lasted for years! Moral of the story: install a proper metal piping system and you will eliminate 95% of all moisture problems for smoother-running, longer-lasting air-operated tools and equipment. Even a small shop should have metal piping installed. With our affordable "piping kits", you can install the correct piping system in your shop at a reasonable cost. Using our Metal Piping Diagram above and components available in our catalog and on our web site, you can easily handle the installation yourself!

Metal piping is the answer to moisture problems and will last for many years. Choose 1/2" or 3/4" metal pipe sizes - 1/2" pipe for up to 75 feet of horizontal pipe runs from your compressor, and 3/4" pipe for horizontal runs over 75 feet. Mount piping along the walls of your shop. Not only does the metal piping act as an "air reservoir", it also enables the moisture-laden air to cool, so the water separators can do their job. The most important feature is the use of "risers", which allow the system to draw dry air from the piping, with the water separators removing most of the remaining moisture. (Moisture condenses in the cold metal pipes and can be easily removed by the water separators.)

Use Black Iron Pipe only. We do not recommend galvanized metal pipe, as galvanization can come off the inside of the pipe, clogging separators and regulators. Do not use PVC pipe, as PVC will not help cool the air; and glued joints often separate. Avoid copper tubing, as it is easily damaged; and soldered joints can come loose under pressure (Safety Hazard).

2035_R_1c346579.jpg.693000f999a8669585120232bfe0146e.jpg

• Thanks 2

WHX??

Thanks Mike ... I am using all black iron pipe cause it is FREE. Also the air separate and the regulator were also FREE. Yup I'M a cheapskate and it's all good enough for the women I go out with. 'Sides lots of onions allows me to change anything without hassle. I also don't plan on using a huge amount of air at this point in time. Just trying to get away from having to wait years for a dinky rol aire to keep up for just givin a blow job.... The missuse's tires ....git yer mid out the gutter!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

onions

Do you use any other veggies in the garage or workshop?

• Haha 3

Pullstart

Thanks for the tip, Mike!  

• Like 1

squonk
9 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Prolly uses the onions to keep stragglers out from drinking all his coffee and beer! 

• Haha 2

Tooomuch7

064F9232-7837-41B9-BEE3-EA684EC69322.jpeg.909609756903f550dd308215bac1182d.jpegWe spent time in our woods today cleaning up.Was also our 40th Wedding anniversary.Picked up and sat by the fire all day. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

WHX??
10 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

41 minutes ago, squonk said:

Prolly uses the onions to keep stragglers out from drinking all his coffee and beer! 

Unions... dang spell check! :)

• Haha 3

ebinmaine
43 minutes ago, squonk said:

That's fair Mike. I might try to steal his coffee but I ain't into onions and that would certainly deter me. 

37 minutes ago, Tooomuch7 said:

sat by the fire

Absolutely one of our favorite activities amongst the little group of friends we hang around with

3 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Unions... dang spell check! :)

I knew what you meant as soon as I read it and in fact I figured you did it on purpose because it was another type of Mr Jim speak. 

squonk
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

I knew what you meant as soon as I read it and in fact I figured you did it on purpose because it was another type of Mr Jim speak. 

I thought the same thing! :ROTF::ROTF:

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, squonk said:

I thought the same thing! :ROTF::ROTF:

You might as well just start making phone calls to the local sanitariums. The fact that you had the same thought train as me is clearly a detriment to your overall well-being. 

• Like 1

squonk
Just now, ebinmaine said:

You might as well just start making phone calls to the local sanitariums. The fact that you had the same thought train as me is clearly a detriment to your overall well-being. 

Or Jim's! :ROTF:

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
26 minutes ago, squonk said:

Or Jim's! :ROTF:

Oh boy. Valid point.