Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

formariz

Finally decided to take down the dead hickory that was right next to and leaning over shed. One of the tallest trees in property. Thanks to my son’s expertise it went without a problem. Sorry for the sideways video. Not sure I can correct that on utube. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

SylvanLakeWH

Nice aim!!!

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Me n Trina and her mom are doing some veehickle Maine-tainerinn. 

The trailer needs it's wheel bearings cleaned and greased in prep for going to NY next weekend :wh: rustling.  

Also needs attention in the lighting department.  

IMG_20221009_123745758_HDR.jpg.1b8085d045676d914a53a76977f4e281.jpg

The momma mobile is still running ok but the brown crunchies are slowly removing portions of the rocker panels. 

Trina's been doctoring them up for 3 or 4 years now. 

IMG_20221009_123758488_HDR.jpg.28bdd278be29d38351288f53e54b64f1.jpg

Mixed in between the rocker repairs drying and curing painting and drying they've been painting the window and door trim for the new building.  

IMG_20221009_123751432_HDR.jpg.50cd36dc3fec5c73d170011aa64d52ff.jpg

• Like 2

ohiofarmer

There's six tons of 300 bags of pellets there stacked eight feet high. 

Glad it's over. It's a bit of Tylenol needed when you hit the high stuff

IMG_20221009_125715.jpg

IMG_20221009_125702.jpg

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

Visited the ER at 6 this morning thinking I had been bite by a spider , no such luck I got shingles . Had the shots a few years ago. Adventures with the Waldomobile may be on hold for a while . Got 2 different RXs . One knocks me out , spending sleeping off and on since I got  home at 7:30 AM 

• Sad 7

Ed Kennell
4 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I got shingles

So sorry to hear this Jim.     I hope the earlier shots minimize the symptoms.      We just got our 2 shot vaccine upgrade.     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

shingles

3 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

sorry to hear this Jim

Agreed. 

I had it when I was about 13, 14 years old. 

Manifested in me by creating rows of VERY tight clear bubbles around my ribcage. 

IIRC I couldn't wear a shirt for 3 or 4 days. Stung like ..... A lot. 

Hope you heal well and fast.  

• Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

Horse Newbie

I thought the shingles vaccine was supposed to keep you from getting shingles…

• Like 2

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

I thought the shingles vaccine was supposed to keep you from getting shingles…

Like many vaccines it reduces the chances. 

Prevention is not 100%. 

From the interwebs:

"It does not guarantee you will not get shingles, but it will reduce your chances. If you do get shingles, the vaccine is likely to make the symptoms milder and the illness shorter." 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
23 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

built on an out of square, out of level old dog kennel pad.

Nice Newbie... your next mission ...should you decide to accept it is come to my ranch and do the the same. 'Cept it won't be for a s$%# shed... more :wh: storage. For added challenge my old kennel is not only out of square it runs downhill! :lol:

• Haha 2

Horse Newbie

Got 2 more walls upright on Grady’s wife’s “she shed”…

Progress is extremely slow due to having to break out the calculus and the slide rule, because the floor is way out of square and way out of level…

By the time we get to the top plates on the walls it will be level and square before we attempt the roof rafters.

It doesn’t look like it but those studs are 24” on center… except for the space where the entry door will be framed in…

03366CF5-3637-4905-90E3-00B59F8DEC93.jpeg

D6C8C05D-5E09-49B7-94E3-44FB5673A70A.jpeg

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 3

Horse Newbie
30 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Like many vaccines it reduces the chances. 

Prevention is not 100%. 

From the interwebs:

"It does not guarantee you will not get shingles, but it will reduce your chances. If you do get shingles, the vaccine is likely to make the symptoms milder and the illness shorter." 

Thank you doctor…:lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Rob J.

Well was rather busy. First off I used Hitch to guide down a bunch of trees. What I found out. I need traction. It pulled them exactly where I wanted everytime but found my self spinning the tires too much. Now I do only have old worn out Carlisles with no fill or external weights. The C-100 was more than plenty of tractor for trees as big as you could bear hug. So my remedy will be wide AG’s, fill and external weights. Will fill the fronts for good measure. Pics of the gear I used minus saw. It’s all you need my friends, for medium to small trees anyways. Oh and another person to run the tractor or saw. 

I also bird dogged the internets and scored a few deals. Not so much in monetary value but need value. Found a square pan with back rest poorly painted in green. These are hard to find not cracked and welded up. Don’t get your dresses in a ruffle now it will be sanded down to metal day of acquisition. Fret not my little jockeys. 😂 I also on agreement found another tractor with lots of spare parts. I won’t reveal this tid bit until it’s actually in my hands.🤞 Hint it has a Kohler and a round hood. 😉 Lastly I picked up a 2 piece gas tank I’m going to experiment with a little from a WH friend downstate. Another friend of mine is very talented when it comes to metals. Going to see if he can join the two halves together permanently. If all goes well my buddy has a couple more he can do. 😜 Gitty up jockeys and cheers!!!!

5E889A28-17BE-40AF-BA23-8132ECCD1115.jpeg

1FEAC21E-BF23-413E-A2AF-FEC54AB3EE94.jpeg

72B5EB02-9869-4D6A-B896-3804D61C4BA6.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don

34 minutes ago, Rob J. said:

It’s all you need my friends, for medium to small trees anyways. Oh and another person to run the tractor or saw.

I watched a falling medium sized tree (~12" diameter) drag a full-sized 4wd pickup a good 10 feet skidding all four tires. The angle of the rope took some of the weight off the rear and that was enough. 

Frankly, I'd never consider a 600 lb. tractor to be a match for any falling tree thicker than my wrist. Trees are HEAVY. Pros rarely use anchoring when felling trees. If they cannot fell it where they want, they climb, limb, and segment it. The risk of a miss and hitting a building or expensive infrastructure is just too high.

35 minutes ago, Rob J. said:

Lastly I picked up a 2 piece gas tank I’m going to experiment with a little from a WH friend downstate. Another friend of mine is very talented when it comes to metals. Going to see if he can join the two halves together permanently

@Pullstart has done this and observed that the aluminum used in the castings was not easily welded. I hope you have success -- get pictures! 

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1

Pullstart

@Rob J. you’re best off sealing a 2 piece tank with some KBS tank sealer for a motorcycle.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Rob J.
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

I watched a falling medium sized tree (~12" diameter) drag a full-sized 4wd pickup a good 10 feet skidding all four tires. The angle of the rope took some of the weight off the rear and that was enough. 

Frankly, I'd never consider a 600 lb. tractor to be a match for any falling tree thicker than my wrist. Trees are HEAVY. Pros rarely use anchoring when felling trees. If they cannot fell it where they want, they climb, limb, and segment it. The risk of a miss and hitting a building or expensive infrastructure is just too high.

@Pullstart has done this and observed that the aluminum used in the castings was not easily welded. I hope you have success -- get pictures! 

I’ve fell dozens of big trees using rope, pulleys and truck winches until now and never had a problem. My friend is an experienced tree feller. He climbs when he has to. I’ve dropped every tree right where I said it was going to fall. Yes angles of approach are very important. Right angle, right cut and you’d be surprised what these little tractors will do. 

• Like 1

Rob J.
Just now, Rob J. said:

I’ve fell dozens of big trees using rope, pulleys and truck winches until now and never had a problem. My friend is an experienced tree feller. He climbs when he has to. I’ve dropped every tree right where I said it was going to fall. Yes angles of approach are very important. Right angle, right cut and you’d be surprised what these little tractors will do. 

I’ve watched guys drive their whole truck and trailer in the boat launch. Not everyone is equipped to think clearly. 

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Handy Don
8 hours ago, Rob J. said:

My friend is an experienced tree feller. He climbs when he has to.

Important information

Ed Kennell
10 hours ago, Handy Don said:

I'd never consider a 600 lb. tractor to be a match for any falling tree

It's all about the center of gravity.     It is very difficult and dangerous to try to control the direction of fall if the COG is not centered on the stump.

A few years back, I watched a neighbor attempt to pull a leaning 50' tall maple away from a steel shed. with a Jeep Wagoneer.     The maple pulled the Jeep across the grass with all four wheels spinning and mashed the shed.

• Excellent 1
  • Sad 3

SylvanLakeWH

Well… Saturday - Back yard trail rides!!!

87672C57-4511-4700-8207-5ADE25501FFB.jpeg

25FD14B7-DE85-41B7-9AA8-DAD27F633EA8.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

8ntruck

@formariz was your son using wedges in the cut along with the ropes to help pull the tree over center?

With that hickory tree now down, you have a lifetime supply of material for tool handles.  Will you be taking orders for custom handles?

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 2

EB-80/8inPA
3 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

The maple pulled the Jeep across the grass with all four wheels spinning and mashed the shed.

Sounds terrible yet comical.  Was he able to laugh about it after the initial shock wore off?

formariz
16 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

@formariz was your son using wedges in the cut along with the ropes to help pull the tree over center?

With that hickory tree now down, you have a lifetime supply of material for tool handles.  Will you be taking orders for custom handles?

Yes he was using the wedges in the back cut to move tree in opposite direction in a controlled manner. We had tree also rigged to two come alongs tied to another tree away from the direction that one was going to drop. About a little over 100 feet of rope on each one.  Tree was right next to shed and leaned over it substantially. You can hear him yell when tree was finally plumb telling me it was all me then and to crank it up. It fell precisely where we wanted it but it was still a bit nerve wracking. Good thing he is a disciple of Bucking Billy Ray. 

I did not keep any of it for lumber since I already have a few big chunks from another hickory. 

• Like 2

Stormin

For the fourth time in just over a week, swept up leaves and cleaned out the abode gutters. :angry-banghead: 

BTW. There's no trees on my property. All the leaves come from next door. :bitch:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Stormin
On 10/9/2022 at 5:27 PM, formariz said:

Finally decided to take down the dead hickory that was right next to and leaning over shed. One of the tallest trees in property. Thanks to my son’s expertise it went without a problem.

Nicely  dropped. :thumbs:

• Like 1