Shynon

Vintage drill press

pacer

You got a winner there!! -- and look at that table, a few small dimples. they usually look like swiss cheese!

Do yourself a favor and get one of these vises, man do they add versatility to a DP - and, you can drill an OOPS hole in it instead of the nice table!

HF has got a jillion of them, this 4" one was $48 free ship ....

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ZoQAAOSwxdtbxTUo/s-l400.jpg

• Like 4

WHX??

Go figure on the staying original! Yeah I thought it was pretty cool Tom. More info on the clutch thingy on top that was interesting. 

He's got a milling machine Pacer but those are still nice. 

• Like 1

pacer
3 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

milling machine Pacer but those are still nice.

Yeah, I got a mill too but that vise still serves a purpose on occasion --- and at the price ... why not?

• Like 2

bc.gold

Nice drill press, looks like something from the 1940's probably one of the very first variable drives, as it is now it has the wrong drive pulley on the motor to take advantage of this function.

The tube video give the perfect description of the more modern variable speed drill press.

Hope your able to find the parts to make it fully functional.

20200419_135904.jpg

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 1

bc.gold

The variable drive is called the Reeves.

Google Reeves Drive

Edited by bcgold
  • Thanks 1

bc.gold

What do a modern mashing machine and this drill press conversion have in common, they both have 3 phase motors running off of single phase power.

The ( VFD ) used on the washing machine lowers manufactures cost as the transmission has been eliminated, the timer controls motor speed and direction for each cycle.

In this drill press tube drill press conversion you'll notice the center drive pulley has been eliminated, with the VFD drive speeds starting just above 1 rpm to the max the electric motor is capable of producing.

It might be a wise choice to convert your vintage delta as I believe its going to be difficult to source out OEM parts.

Edited by bcgold
  • Thanks 1

Shynon

After more research and a little insight from @bcgold I put on somd flex belts and it works,  just need to figure the correct belt lenghts.

20200419_185549.jpg

20200419_185557.jpg

• Excellent 2

formariz

You have a DP220 from 1946 with the speed reducer. Great find.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Shynon

Thanks how did you find the year so quick? I've been looking for awhile in all the wrong places I guess. Any thing else you could tell me about it? Where to find a manual. 

Shynon
4 minutes ago, formariz said:

You have a DP220 from 1946 with the speed reducer. Great find.

1 minute ago, Shynon said:

Thanks how did you find the year so quick? I've been looking for awhile in all the wrong places I guess. Any thing else you could tell me about it? Where to find a manual. 

formariz
1 minute ago, Shynon said:

Look here for a manual. You need to be patient. The speed reducers are a little ambiguous.Some were shop made.http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=1141&tab=3&sort=1&th=false&fl=Drill Presses

Look here for your model. The DP 220 was a popular model. We have one also. http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=1141&tab=3&sort=2&fl=Drill+Presses

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Terry M

Really Cool looking Drill press, Tom!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

formariz

@ShynonCan you give me the size of your serial No plate and tell me whether it is aluminum or steel?

• Like 1

Shynon

1/2"×3" pretty sure it's aluminum 

formariz

So the manufacture date of your machine is either 1940 to 1942 or 1944 to 1947. Those were the only years that type of plate was used. Should have been made in Milwaukee.

• Thanks 1

formariz

I am inclined to think that it is from 1947 since I have never seen a speed reducer with that handle before. Also that little metal loop attached to the front of it is original. There should be a rod there that goes to the switch to activate it. I have old delta machinery here with that on them. Light is also original. You found yourself a real gem there.

FD698507-383D-4461-AB80-9DABDE80B53B.jpeg.7e54d4f14ac55049b2698cb5ce7681ca.jpeg

Edited by formariz
  • Thanks 1

Shynon
1 minute ago, formariz said:

There should be a rod there that goes to the switch to activate it.

the tip of the switch is broken off, will need to find a new switch and fabricate a rod. 

Light is also original

The PO said everyone wanted just the light. 

formariz

Do you have any idea what that light by itself goes for?

Shynon

Do you have any idea what that light by itself goes for?

I have an Atlas lathe with the original light and I saw on on Ebay for big $$$$  So my thought is that a bought a vintage light and got the drill press free.

formariz
Just now, Shynon said:

I have an Atlas lathe with the original light and I saw on on Ebay for big $$$$  So my thought is that a bought a vintage light and got the drill press free.

Correct. If it wasn't for the speed reducer light is worth more than the drill press.

• Thanks 1

formariz
18 minutes ago, Shynon said:

the tip of the switch is broken off, will need to find a new switch and fabricate a rod

There was a little ball on the tip of that switch. You can probably weld one on there. Rod had a slot on it.

1D32163B-4538-4EDB-8119-F42F8396121D.jpeg.969e5978876b73a6e12839b43e49a003.jpeg

Edited by formariz
  • Thanks 1

formariz
On 4/19/2020 at 9:18 PM, Shynon said:

I have an Atlas lathe with the original light

Can I see your lathe? I also have one that I inherited. Don't use it much since working with metal is not what I do but it has become handy sometimes making small parts or modifying them for tractors.