formariz

Home made tools- show us yours

formariz

From watching Kevin’s @pullstart post on the homemade valve spring clamp revived my interest in home made tools. In my craft I make and use many of my tools. I was always fascinated by home made tools for their ingenuity ,resourcefulness and individuality. Let’s see what is out there. Show us the tools you have made and use.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

ebinmaine

Great post idea Caz!

I'm really looking forward to the incredible ingenuity that this crowd has been known to display.

I have nothing but a simple offering. Credit for the idea actually goes to Lincoln at A To Z. @A-Z Tractor

I needed to swap out the main carrier bearing in the 8 speed for Colossus. The 1533.

Lincoln uses one he welded together but I wanted to be able to use the bolt for something else.

I sandwiched a washer between 2 nuts and used the washer as a flange to carefully drive out the bearing.

IMG_20200315_134546279.jpg.274549852381be99365a834498ace21f.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
28 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Great post idea Caz!

I'm really looking forward to the incredible ingenuity that this crowd has been known to display.

I have nothing but a simple offering. Credit for the idea actually goes to Lincoln at A To Z. @A-Z Tractor

I needed to swap out the main carrier bearing in the 8 speed for Colossus. The 1533.

Lincoln uses one he welded together but I wanted to be able to use the bolt for something else.

I sandwiched a washer between 2 nuts and used the washer as a flange to carefully drive out the bearing.

IMG_20200315_134546279.jpg.274549852381be99365a834498ace21f.jpg

I’ve used a stack of washers on a length of threaded rod on my slide hammer for pulling axle wheel bearings on a truck before :handgestures-thumbupright:

Amazing what a few simple hardware items can become, huh?

• Like 4

formariz

@953 nut  I knew that there would be lots to learn from this thread. The idea of bolting wheel to bench is as simple as it is brilliant. My biggest complaint with the commercial small tire changers is that regardless how you mount them, there is simply too much play in their components and the whole thing moves and flexes too much . Bolting the wheel to a solid bench will make it absolutely rigid allowing one to comfortably apply necessary pressure on tire. I like the bench protection too. You would never know tires are changed on it.

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

Here’s something simple.  It’s oil change time on the zero turn.  The oil drain valve directs the crank oil through the pan of the machine.  The filter makes a mess.  I cut and bent this blade casing plastic to allow the oil to drain through the appropriate hole.  I might eventually cut a hole under the filter and build a block off plate,  then I’d rather not disrupt the powdercoat.   

C762AFDA-C41D-4424-B760-AA0593496D3D.jpeg

60DBDAAF-D481-4FF8-8EFB-963019777112.jpeg

Edited by pullstart
Pictures
  • Like 4

formariz
7 hours ago, pullstart said:

Here’s something simple.  It’s oil change time on the zero turn.  The oil drain valve directs the crank oil through the pan of the machine.  The filter makes a mess.  I cut and bent this blade casing plastic to allow the oil to drain through the appropriate hole.  I might eventually cut a hole under the filter and build a block off plate,  then I’d rather not disrupt the powdercoat.   

Good idea. It’s a shame that a lot of machines are designed without taking into account the mess they make by not having any thought put into a simple thing as draining oil and oil filters. Same just to drain the oil it just goes all over machine. I modify all of mine so oil can be directly routed into the proper container without touching any part of machine.

• Like 2

tom2p

I use a large funnel with a section of rubber hose attached (automotive heater hose - maybe 3 foot length ?) 

funnel sits under the drain plug on the engine (416-H Onan)  ;  end of the heater hose is inserted into a drain pan 

can't recall if I use this on the 312-8 Kohler ... think I do ... 

• Like 3

sannderz91

formariz, wow, nice and robust collection of "must have" tools. I would also add to these of yours - a good wood router ( like one of these: https://www.woodroutersreviews.com/ ). There are a lot of things, which I cannot do without it, really. especially some angles of different details while doing basic wood working process. Do you use wood routers at all?

formariz
12 hours ago, sannderz91 said:

formariz, wow, nice and robust collection of "must have" tools. I would also add to these of yours - a good wood router ( like one of these: https://www.woodroutersreviews.com/ ). There are a lot of things, which I cannot do without it, really. especially some angles of different details while doing basic wood working process. Do you use wood routers at all?

Thank you. Yes I use routers. At least 10 of them. Keep dedicated cutters in each one so I don’t have to ever change them. Use also one large Makita upside down set up as a shaper.

• Heart 1

Pullstart

Using my drain pan assistant today again.  And yes, I own a Cub Cadet :ROTF:

Even with a wheel off, there still manages to be a mess under the assistant but better than nothing!

FD481444-B28D-40A8-8D6C-A748AC8BE6A8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Even with a wheel off, there still manages to be a mess under the assistant but better than nothing!

Ahhhhh yes...

The ever elusive mostly invisible super helpful oil guidance system

• Haha 1

bottjernat1

Here is my steering wheel puller my late dad got it from a guy who made it. It works like a charm! 

IMG_20200310_135450432.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

formariz

Pretty beefy. How big is the hole in it?

• Like 1

bottjernat1
3 minutes ago, formariz said:

Pretty beefy. How big is the hole in it?

Not sure i will measure it when i get home later.

Tractorhead
On 5/29/2020 at 4:51 PM, pullstart said:

As far as i know, this Oildrain screws are mostly 3/8“

I exchanged my oildrain screw with a 3/8“ pipe fitting and a bow with a End cap on the end.

As long as the Tyres allows, you can later simply drain the Oil by removing the End cap over the oilpan.

CDB13B99-2B6A-4CC3-9C7E-80C832D263C5.jpeg.e57796ab6d4f485b9187775969f2b6cd.jpeg

I used this Fittings in chome style, because they went cheaper as Steel type, another benefit was i can use common Gaskets.

so simply after removing the mower deck i just place the oilpan below and drain.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

I use a old transmission fluid funnel to drain oil on the tractors without removing deck . Have a thin wire attached to funnel , wrap around oil drain pipe , other end in drain pan. Sit down and drink a cup of coffee or start greasing another tractor . When I am finish with coffee. First motor finished. Start on second tractor.  

• Like 4

WHX??

Getting real technical here Richard on the brush retainers. 

20190411_173824.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

midpack

I like to make things that make my life easier, I don't make things to sell, too much liability... lol

here's something I came up with a few years ago.

I don't like to leave gas in machines that are going to sit for any time so I put this together. 12v electric fuel pump runs on a (tractor/portable) battery, does a great job and no more gasoline taste!

I always hated trying to start a siphon

fuel pump.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ranger

Good idea, but be very careful of any sparks when connecting/disconnecting leads.

Certain groups of people this side of the pond have similar equipment, but on a larger scale, big pumps and tanks inside vans. They visit farms and irrigation pumps in fields at night and empty the diesel tanks, perhaps they think an unattended unit holding hundreds of litres of fuel isn't safe on it's own in the middle of a field! 

• Sad 1