peter lena

improve pto lever action

The Tuul Crib

Great idea pete thanx!

• Like 4

lynnmor

On my 520H, the snap ring has no groove, so I simply pushed it back while holding the lever out.  I guess you added the heim joint on the PTO linkage, that would make for a slow job when changing implements.

• Like 1

peter lena

lynnmor , actually i never touch the heim joint  , just dialed it in after i recut the screw on threads from 3/8" x 16  to 3/8" x 24 , both my 42" rd mower deck or my 36x42  single stage snow thrower , use the same pto lever point . the heim joint and the added washers , on the linkage make its usage very solid and smooth . every piece of linkage that i have tweaked , went from sloppy to solid and smooth.can you replace the lever with a grooved model ?  if you choose ? pete  

• Like 2

lynnmor

I need to disconnect the hoop to get a belt around it for some things like the loader, that is why I commented on the heim joint.  I'm sure that the heim joint would be better than the plain pin. 

Do you know for a fact that there is a groove in the PTO lever?  The snap ring seems to stay in place for a long time without the groove.

• Like 1

peter lena

lynnmor, thank you for the feed back, my pto lever has a groove for a snap ring , you might wire brush the area and uncover the groove , use penetrating oil as a cleaning solvent , it melts rust. that hoop just swings toward the rear of tractor ,like it should, after removing the clevis safety pin. i have this same set up on my 3 horses , once i find a better way for operation , i add it to the others . i also have added improvement to all my linkage points , just my own opinion , often  nothing more than tightening up the swing mounting point. i think if you remove the pto lever  , to add washers , and possibly find your snap ring groove ,you can see and feel the opportunity to make it firm and very smooth , that is what i was looking for. let me know , pete    

• Like 2

pfrederi

erroneous post sorry

Edited by pfrederi

Mustang67ford

Old post, I know.  Went out and got the noted washers and was going to do this to a 414-8 PTO handle.  However, with 1 shim outside at the c-clip and 1 shim at the cotter pin, there was no more room for any additional washers.  I couldn't bring the handle in any closer because it would then not gove enough clearance at the micro switches.  Maybe I'm not quite following where the washers are supposed to go?  If the switches were gone, I could see how this mod would work.  Also, no groove in my pto handle for clip, seems to just be a friction fit.

Edited by Mustang67ford
  • Like 2

peter lena

@Mustang67ford   this first photo shows' the  start of the pto lever , and the added washers on the end point , did not have any micro switches on my  set ups . figured the 414 set up was the same .  you might have to come up with your own improvement. pete 

• Like 2

Mustang67ford
6 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@Mustang67ford   this first photo shows' the  start of the pto lever , and the added washers on the end point , did not have any micro switches on my  set ups . figured the 414 set up was the same .  you might have to come up with your own improvement. pete 

Thanks for clarifying.  Yea, the 414 has 2 micro switches in there that limits how far in the handle can go.

• Like 2

Lee1977
On 4/4/2020 at 9:02 AM, peter lena said:

lynnmor, thank you for the feed back, my pto lever has a groove for a snap ring , you might wire brush the area and uncover the groove , use penetrating oil as a cleaning solvent , it melts rust. that hoop just swings toward the rear of tractor ,like it should, after removing the clevis safety pin. i have this same set up on my 3 horses , once i find a better way for operation , i add it to the others . i also have added improvement to all my linkage points , just my own opinion , often  nothing more than tightening up the swing mounting point. i think if you remove the pto lever  , to add washers , and possibly find your snap ring groove ,you can see and feel the opportunity to make it firm and very smooth , that is what i was looking for. let me know , pete    

If the belt goes straight down in stead of angled forward or back you to remove the loop to get the belt over it.

• Like 1

kthomas62
On 4/3/2020 at 9:34 AM, peter lena said:

added teflon  and steel washers to  pto lever start mount ,along side lower battery tray, this firms up movement and draws in pto lever close to side of dash console, ist and 3 photos. just lucas greased pto bell needle bearings on all 3 of my horses,regular maintenance . battery tender plug in is attached to choke cable , for easy mounted plug in point. just a few changes that make things easier , and insure smooth operation, IMG_0316.JPG.6c052dcd1c6d1b9a398f77677bf42d3b.JPG1003352965_IMG_0317(1).JPG.f2c093b0dcb466e4b9685f4d6219597d.JPG1003352965_IMG_0317(1).JPG.f2c093b0dcb466e4b9685f4d6219597d.JPGIMG_0318.JPG.1fb1c446ec8190282c5505b86d6d02f0.JPGIMG_0319.JPG.749dc912180765b40a92c0a78a16b5de.JPG

Great information!

Thank you!!

peter lena

@kthomas62  how did that help ?  are you planning any changes ? once I  zeroed in on a problem , I just followed the problem routing and enhanced every opportunity / problem area  that was related to it . let me know , don,t worry , I  won't  tell the  W/H POLICE , pete

peter lena

@Skwerl58  @johnnymag3  , notice that battery cable going to the corner engine mount / frame ?  thats starts at the battery ground bolt , ensuring that related engine mounted tins , that hold RECTIFIER MOUNT , is solidly grounded . once I  find a cure / fix . I  enhance it . anything I  suggest , has many many hours of solid operation . pete

peter lena

@rangerhttps://www.google.com/search?q=l+wheel+horse+pto+swing+arm+mount+pin&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS866US866&oq=&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqCQgCEEUYOxjCAzIJ this the type pin I use , makes things easy , attatch a light spring to the movement spot to close by , for no noise operation.  pete 

• Like 1

ranger
36 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@rangerhttps://www.google.com/search?q=l+wheel+horse+pto+swing+arm+mount+pin&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS866US866&oq=&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqCQgCEEUYOxjCAzIJ this the type pin I use , makes things easy , attatch a light spring to the movement spot to close by , for no noise operation.  pete 

Yes Pete, that’s the type of pin I’ve got. There is a lot of lost motion due to the wear in the hole the top of the hoop fits into on the triangular lever. The lower mounting lug for the hoop does, I think need a small amount of play in the hole to accommodate the fact that the top of the hoop moves toward and away from the engine as it rotates the few degrees to engage and disengage the PTO. There is quite a bit of axial play in the pin through the bearing, this due to wear in the outer circlip groove. I’ll try shimming this for a start, but I may remake the pin from EN8 or something similar, but make it with a shoulder to replace the outer circlip. Overkill perhaps? But gives me an excuse to use the lathe again.

• Like 1

John312-8

Hey guys, The PTO lever is loose going inward and outward. I saw that picture the addition of the washers. I guess I need to take the cotter pin off the little one then add those washers to pull the whole lever more towards the inside. Hopefully this will allow a better contact with that safety switch. I can't get that safety switch right now. I took the two bolts off on the inside thinking I could get there but that panel that has a lever seems to be attached to the Where are the gauges are. I sprayed some WD-40 down there to maybe hopefully clean the contact a little bit. But you guys are right that lever is definitely loose. So now I need to try adding washers to pull it in tighter. Hey successful today. Replacing a grommet going into the bottom of the fuel tank and putting on a new valve. No gasoline leaking, amazing. Lol

• Like 1