Pullstart

C-161 Blackhood Briggs Twin / ARK 500 FEL

Pullstart

@tom2p There isn’t anything in the shop that the Hilo can’t lift... so I’m good to go :handgestures-thumbupright:  The stack of steel and plastics top row 2nd bay from the left wall... I lift that in two bundles.

SylvanLakeWH
25 minutes ago, pullstart said:

@tom2p There isn’t anything in the shop that the Hilo can’t lift... so I’m good to go :handgestures-thumbupright: 

While we wait for your "hanging" video as appropriately requested by @ebinmaine, it occurred to me that with the addition of your new Black Hood FEL you can extend the reach of your hi lo... Just hoist the FEL up on the forks of the hi lo and voila! you have another what - 6 - 8 feet of height and reach? Fully adjustable to the left, right or straight ahead... Man, just think of the video possibilities...:hide:

:ychain:

• Haha 3

Pullstart

@ebinmaine @SylvanLakeWH  yeah, the Hilo reaches high enough Jim... but thanks so much for the genius idea!

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

Pullstart

@gwest_ca here’s the serial tag :handgestures-thumbupright:

525D95E0-11D0-41C0-8D48-A9E6E014AA86.jpeg

SylvanLakeWH
6 minutes ago, pullstart said:

@ebinmaine @SylvanLakeWH  yeah, the Hilo reaches high enough Jim... but thanks so much for the genius idea!

You are most welcome! Anytime... :thumbs:

Funny - My kids and wife never refer to me as a genius... :confusion-confused:

• Thanks 1

tom2p
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

@tom2p There isn’t anything in the shop that the Hilo can’t lift... so I’m good to go :handgestures-thumbupright:  The stack of steel and plastics top row 2nd bay from the left wall... I lift that in two bundles.

awesome setup you have !

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Awesome hanging mechanism Kev.

Takes a true Country Boy Gear Head to use a forklift for that.

Glad to see you're doing better. Keep it up!

• Thanks 2

Pullstart
17 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Awesome hanging mechanism Kev.

Takes a true Country Boy Gear Head to use a forklift for that.

Glad to see you're doing better. Keep it up!

I’m sore for sure, but I’m not bed ridden laying on ice like the last two weeks!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Tractorhead

Maybe a bit more warm covering helps you a bit more in addition to just hangout,

I cover my back with a kidney belt to keep it warm whilst do a hangout.

Because warm muscles tends easier to relaxing.

That helped me a lot.

👍

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

Is this the way a Briggs Twin should sound?  It seems a bit off to me, but power doesn’t seem lacking and there is little to no smoke.

cschannuth
21 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Is this the way a Briggs Twin should sound?  It seems a bit off to me, but power doesn’t seem lacking and there is little to no smoke.

That does sound a bit off to me. I’ll get mine out and take a video of it and send it to you for comparison purposes. Mine doesn’t idle very smooth anymore either and I was told itd because the small seal around the throttle cable is shot??? I can’t remember exactly what I was told. They don’t lack for power though. Dad used to mow with a 48 inch deck and the engine didn’t even notice when the PTO was engaged.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

The double set screw hub is loose and that axle bearing is a bit sloppy and leaking.  The single set screw hub is tight and dry.  I have an 8 speed transmission waiting to be put back together... with all new bearings and seals.  I am thinking I’ll run this as is after tightening the hub of course, then swap transmissions once I get the other one assembled and painted up.

A9A167CA-7AA3-4B4C-9896-8D72A922165F.jpeg

2E521F95-9B4B-42E1-AE5B-C22F1211D24D.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

cschannuth
11 minutes ago, cschannuth said:

That does sound a bit off to me. I’ll get mine out and take a video of it and send it to you for comparison purposes. Mine doesn’t idle very smooth anymore either and I was told itd because the small seal around the throttle cable is shot??? I can’t remember exactly what I was told. They don’t lack for power though. Dad used to mow with a 48 inch deck and the engine didn’t even notice when the PTO was engaged.

Here’s mine. Like I said if I idle it way down it spits and pops a little bit.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

That sure does sing at WOT!

• Like 1

Pullstart

Rear tires swapped.  The fronts from “Steve” have bad wheel bearings so I will put off swapping those.

75941F4F-A78E-472A-A820-DCAA6ED1FB12.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Front tires up to 15 psi from 4.  Now I see the max is 28 psi!  I bet that’ll help steering!

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Front tires up to 15 psi from 4.  Now I see the max is 28 psi!  I bet that’ll help steering!

Uhh yeah probbbleeyy

• Haha 2

8ntruck

Looks like you made a good addition to your heard, Kev.

"Build a ripper and do some digging." Does that mean your big yellow project is pushed back?

Also, you can't flush that blue tilt paper.

Watch the oil level in that Briggs twin.  I had a vertical shaft Briggs twin that tended to use oil.  Got too low once and broke a rod.  Ended up short blocking it to get going again.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
6 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Looks like you made a good addition to your heard, Kev.

"Build a ripper and do some digging." Does that mean your big yellow project is pushed back?

Also, you can't flush that blue tilt paper.

Watch the oil level in that Briggs twin.  I had a vertical shaft Briggs twin that tended to use oil.  Got too low once and broke a rod.  Ended up short blocking it to get going again.

We’ll see how it does as a digger Bill.  I have mixed feelings with the JD 1010.  One of the feelings is adapt the loader and hoe to the AC WD45... one of them is wait until scrap comes back up.  :hide:

• Haha 2

dells68
36 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I have mixed feelings with the JD 1010.  One of the feelings is adapt the loader and hoe to the AC WD45... one of them is wait until scrap comes back up.  :hide:

My family was in the tractor business about 40 years and honestly I’ve never heard anything bing good about the 1010 John Deere’s.  My uncle was a mechanic at the garage and had one a year or so ago, finally almost had to pay someone to take it away!  They just weren’t very reliable tractors.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Bill D

I have a 1983 GT1642 and that does sound funny to me.  The engine appears to have been worked on.  The coil is the newer style is OEM or eBay.  The flywheel on my engine has metal teeth, yours should too. Pull the plug wire on each cylinder when running and see if the sound changes.  Compression checks are difficult due to the easy spin camshaft.  Mine tops out around 60 psi, but runs fine with good power.  These Briggs run hot and have been known to have valve seat issues.  There are threads on here about this.  The carb may need additional work, the shop may not have rebuilt it correctly.  Easy carb to work on other than the two small springs on the built in pump.  Just my two cents.  Bill

• Thanks 2

bds1984

I agree with Bill, it does sound a little bit off, but then I have had and seen many Briggs engines sound like that and run just fine for years.  Aside from that, I first noticed how loud she is and maybe a slight over-rev from the governor out of adjustment!  The last Big Briggs I had like that was MUCH quieter.  I am willing to bet a dollar that there is something flaky going on with the carb and/or governor.

Pullstart
13 minutes ago, bds1984 said:

I agree with Bill, it does sound a little bit off, but then I have had and seen many Briggs engines sound like that and run just fine for years.  Aside from that, I first noticed how loud she is and maybe a slight over-rev from the governor out of adjustment!  The last Big Briggs I had like that was MUCH quieter.  I am willing to bet a dollar that there is something flaky going on with the carb and/or governor.

I have a new set of plugs on tap.  Once I get this thing ready to head out of the shop, I’ll toss them in and see if I can get a read on their color after a good workout.  I’ll also see about adjusting the governor.  I’ll read the manual but is it as (slightly) fool proof as a Kohler?

Pullstart

I tossed some 1/2-13 bolts in to secure the loader in place on the rear end.  The entire rig became so much stiffer!  When I swap the transmissions, I’ll add jam nuts too.

A535DC29-2F3B-44E4-A06D-EF7AF31774D4.jpeg

D45B7F23-6AF9-4708-AB0C-8BD21E93FBFD.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bds1984

I don't think the governor adjustment is all that different than a Kohler as long as it isn't an air-vane set-up.  Maybe the spring needs a little less tension on it and the idle speed bumped up a little bit (ut maybe that part is from a dirty/compromised fuel system).