Pullstart

C-161 Blackhood Briggs Twin / ARK 500 FEL

Pullstart
1 minute ago, bds1984 said:

Nice find!  I'd love to have a loader for my C165-8.  The big twin Briggs are a tough engine!

I might hate to tell you this, but I grabbed this outta your own back yard ... off Westnedge Ave in Portage :ph34r:

I am thinking that “Steve” the C-81 might donate his ag tires front and rear.  If it improves the steering, I’ll be all over those fronts for sure!

5D377CE0-AA0E-46AE-928A-684EBD3EC803.jpeg

12A4B4A7-F54D-4A2B-B95A-F13AE1AF4385.jpeg

• Like 1

Pullstart

I’m pretty sure this guy is gonna be named Scoop.  You were close @19richie66!

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

bds1984
1 minute ago, pullstart said:

I might hate to tell you this, but I grabbed this outta your own back yard ... off Westnedge Ave in Portage :ph34r:

I am thinking that “Steve” the C-81 might donate his ag tires front and rear.  If it improves the steering, I’ll be all over those fronts for sure!

5D377CE0-AA0E-46AE-928A-684EBD3EC803.jpeg

12A4B4A7-F54D-4A2B-B95A-F13AE1AF4385.jpeg

Yeah that is right in my neck of the woods!  I didn't even see it for sale but I have enough right now with my three.  I think I'd like to build one to fit my 520 front axle, have a self-leveling bucket, and a joystick control.   I have ags on the front of my plow tractor that steers much better when them on backwards and slightly under pressure but that may not be an issue with a heavier front end.  If it were me, I'd be looking for a set of tri-ribs for the front of your new loader.

• Like 1

Pullstart
1 minute ago, bds1984 said:

Yeah that is right in my neck of the woods!  I didn't even see it for sale but I have enough right now with my three.  I think I'd like to build one to fit my 520 front axle, have a self-leveling bucket, and a joystick control.   I have ags on the front of my plow tractor that steers much better when them on backwards and slightly under pressure but that may not be an issue with a heavier front end.  If it were me, I'd be looking for a set of tri-ribs for the front of your new loader.

It wasn’t really for sale.  Jay Bee saw my wanted ad and he knew that Skip had this one.  Somehow, JB convinced Skip that I needed it more than he did :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Pullstart

I threw some Lucas in and cleaned the air filter again.  It’s dripping dry and I’ll fire it up tomorrow.  

G’night ‘Scoop!

E7F234F5-B852-42A7-8DF4-549F93BCCFF4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bellevillerod

Great find, I got tired of looking for a wheel horse with a FEL and went an got an IH464. But the huge increase in weight makes it really tough on the yard. That rig you have will move around with little damage to the ground. Have fun with it, I'm finding new stuff to use mine for every day. You will wonder how you managed with out it before long. Make loading the back of your pick up much easier......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

ZXT

Nice find! I'm sure you'll enjoy the loader. That's definitely on my bucket list of things to buy!

• Like 1

cschannuth
3 hours ago, pullstart said:

The tractor came with an engine service manual.  I have cleaned and adjusted the gaps to .030”.  One was a bit big and one was spot on.

7B5A5AC9-A439-4821-849B-1E81EFD77D1D.jpeg

1515A52C-B127-42D1-877A-7A5FED6C6A57.jpeg

I hate to bother you but I have the exact same machine and I need to replace my starter. To me it looks like the only way to do that is to remove the cast iron fly wheel. I have the large nut off and a puller in place but I can’t get that thing to budge. Does it have any instruction in your manual on how to replace the starter? Maybe I’m going about it wrong.  Thanks!

Tractorhead

Hey Buddy, firstly Congrats to your newbie „Scoop“ !

nice find, sounds a great machine.

I like to share with you my learned knowledge about, but i‘m sure you know that allready.

I learned a lot from my smaller FEL in Winter use last year on my Horse.

the counterweights are recommended to have enough stability and reducing load of frontaxle.

When i did my first digging tests with my Beast and the new selfmade FEL in the forrest,

i have few times with full bucket a dangerous weak situation, i must acting with a counterweight.

the tilt point turns quick upwards and the stability becomes weak while loaded bucket.

after mounting a counterweight, the steering is much easier because the load of frontaxle reduces dramatically.

That brings a lot of more stability, even on slopes, but this has a dis, if i ride on a grass, i get deep impacts from the AG‘s.

The overallweight is empty now with counterweight about 710Kilos.  net.weight is 540Kilos of the Beast.

beast and loader is about 600Kilos.

So my Counterweight is 110Kilos. A measured weight in the shovel of 20 Kilos results in a Axleweight of 40 Kilos

A load of 40 Kilos in the Bucked must be compensated with 75Kilos in the counterweight in my case.

a three rib on front will maybe support the easy of steering, but it will also have deep impact on grass.

It depends on what you try to do with it, but i would suggesting,

keep the counter weightbox in the rear loaded even if bucket is empty, to save your front axle.

I see the quick last on my front axle on the Horse, and here i have measured only 35Kilo plus on frontaxle with empty bucket.

Ok, i stressed my Aluminum Loader few times over it’s max. ratings we have precalculated, to see if it will last,

all that Stress tests goes into the wear of my frontaxle, because i didn‘t dealing with much counterweight.

I learned also a lot because of Axleweights and load balancing and the result, i can spent into my Beast.

It seems you have a great Worker, that screaming for digging. 👍

• Thanks 1

Pollack Pete

Nice Horse.Nice front end loader.When I got my first loader tractor { Much larger than a Wheel Horse } years ago,I threw away my wheel barrow.Have fun with your new toy.You and your back will enjoy it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart
7 hours ago, cschannuth said:

I hate to bother you but I have the exact same machine and I need to replace my starter. To me it looks like the only way to do that is to remove the cast iron fly wheel. I have the large nut off and a puller in place but I can’t get that thing to budge. Does it have any instruction in your manual on how to replace the starter? Maybe I’m going about it wrong.  Thanks!

I’ll get you those pages soon!

• Thanks 1

Racinbob

Love it Kevin. I don't have a blackhood but that model would be the one for me. First year for them and the only year they used the B/C style dash. :)

• Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Uhm, ya know buddy...

...we wanna see a video while you playing with it ..... :music-rockon::music-rockon::music-rockon:

• Haha 1

clueless
12 hours ago, pullstart said:

When times of butt wipe are scarce, my wife found this amazing roll of shop rags on Amazon on one of their flash sales!

A8C494E7-CB54-40E0-9BC9-E86D5306160F.jpeg

I like the TP substitute, but the brake cleaner may be a bit extreme :angry-screaming:!

• Haha 4

Pullstart
Just now, clueless said:

I like the TP substitute, but the brake cleaner may be a bit extreme :angry-screaming:!

Man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do...  think of it as a Mad Max bidet!  :ROTF:

• Haha 5

Alex175
13 hours ago, pullstart said:

Recently, yes!  I went to the cracker today on my way home from grabbing this gem.  I am feeling so much better after 8-ish visits!  Taking it easy tonight, and the rest of the week especially.

I started going to the Chiro last year after my 2 crushed discs started acting up.  I had been fine without treatment for a while, but it flared up and I decided to go.  It's been fantastic, it took a while for her to get me feeling right, but now I go once a month and it keeps me feeling good.  I made the mistake of missing a few visits last year and I ended up paying for it, but she got me back right again and I'm going strong now.

• Thanks 2

Pullstart

I know how @SylvanLakeWH Jim enjoys the proof...  Steve is down!  

I’ll do a comparative analysis in steering between both sets of front tires... at max rated pressure.  

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
9 hours ago, cschannuth said:

Craig,  PM sent.  I asked @stevasaurus about the legality of too much manual.  If I’m allowed, I’ll scan and upload the entire thing :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

Nice score on the tractor and loader Kevin. I've always thought one of those would be super handy out at the ranch, but the odds of finding one around here are slim to none. 

Subscribed to the iSaveTractors YouTube channel this past weekend and watched his entire series of videos on the construction of a loader and backhoe for his Cub Cadet. May take me years of putting it together one piece at a time but I think I might just have to build one. 

Have fun with it and I too will be watching for a video of it in action

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

By recommendation from the back doc, I came out to the garage to “hang out”.  I used the strap to lash the pipe to hang from, but the straps with heavy gloves were easiest to hold onto but relax my bottom half.  I can reach the strap from the skid then step off and hang just an inch or so off the ground.  In the meantime, I caught a couple horses sniffing around each other.

7AACA596-8DB4-4870-86B8-0A9BB323C712.jpeg

CFA0438E-68DB-493B-8C8D-5CA452629152.jpeg

bottjernat1
3 hours ago, pullstart said:

I know how @SylvanLakeWH Jim enjoys the proof...  Steve is down!  

I’ll do a comparative analysis in steering between both sets of front tires... at max rated pressure.  

I drive a raymond at work great forklift. I love them. I have driven about every kind of stand up forklift and the raymond is my favorite

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
8 minutes ago, bottjernat1 said:

I drive a raymond at work great forklift. I love them. I have driven about every kind of stand up forklift and the raymond is my favorite

Especially when there’s no junk in the way!  I am storing two people’s stuff while they are in the middle of moving... so it is a bit cramped.

ebinmaine
28 minutes ago, pullstart said:

hang out”.  I used the strap to lash the pipe to hang

I feel like that would be kind of amusing to see and I'd like video proof please

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Pullstart
35 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I feel like that would be kind of amusing to see and I'd like video proof please

Deal!

tom2p

nice addition pullstart !

and stay safe with that forklift - we don't want to see you in one of those forklift fail videos !

• Thanks 1