dells68

Should I? Another redneck custom

Lee1977
1 hour ago, dells68 said:

Hey EB.  No I haven’t soaked it.  It was so full of crud that looked like mud when I got it that it makes me wonder what the poor thing has been through!  I found a new complete carb along with tuneup kit for $50 on fleabay, so I figured I’d give it a shot.  The only thing about that carb is the fuel adjustment is plugged off like all other EPA compliant stuff.  I’ll probably have to remove the cap to adjust it if needed.  At least I know it runs, just not getting enough fuel to maintain a consistent idle.  If you look into the throat of the carb, you can see a spray of fuel pulsing.  Should be here next Mon and I’ll give it a shot!

I had a Briggs Vanguard 16 back in the early 90's l coudn't get to run with out surging. I found out they made a jet for high altitude. The jet was removable on the early models screwed in. Changed the jet it was a lot better. I have a 2010 Briggs Vanguard 18, never had reason to look inside the carb. on it.

• Like 1

dells68
1 minute ago, Ed Kennell said:

Might be interesting to stick an electric pump in front of the carb?

Might be an idea.  It actually has a pulse pump on it.  Could be the pump for sure.  If the carb doesn’t fix it, I might try an electric pump!

Tractorhead

I‘m in with @Lee1977

while i watch your video, i can see the light movement on your Throttlelever on the right.

but i see also the rhytmic movement on the governor and i believe to remind that the engine reacts to slow.

Based on that and the reaction the Engine gives, it seems to me the carb runs to rich not to lean,

like a continouse work in „choked“ operation.

i believe - if i see it right- the blowbacks are just happened on throttle up movement by the governor,

short before the Engine increases the speed.

i would firstly check the nozzle, if it’s screwed type and all is clean below,  

maybe it loosing a bit, or maybe PO tryed to clean it with a nozzle needle or a to thick wire

and bored it a bit in the diameter ( maybe one or two sizes) up without recognizes it.

Or it is maybe as lee mentioned simply a wrong nozzle.

the governor itself seems to work very smooth.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

To make sure it’s not a governor adjustment issue, you could disconnect it and operate the throttle manually for a bit :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

19richie66

Make sure the “atmospheric vent” on the pulse pump isn’t plugged with dirt. They get jam packed with crud and then the valves inside the pump can’t “breathe”

6A416777-90D1-4754-9903-2FA1E15B78E6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dells68

Well, add a little surge be gone and this is what you get!

I put on a new $50 carb from flebay and off she went.  Pretty darn smooth now!  Nice smooth idle.  Now, on with the rest...

• Like 1
  • Excellent 6

ebinmaine
52 minutes ago, dells68 said:

Nice

Sounds lovely Dell !!

• Thanks 1

dells68

Just a little more tinkering tonight.  I made covers for the belt and brake setup where they protrude into the tub.  I also made an aluminum panel to cover some of the backed dash and drilled a place to mount the ignition switch.  Here’s also a pic of the choke, throttle, and steering pin.

A5B63C2F-561C-4985-A842-07714C4EAF25.jpeg

F36F4324-70B3-495E-ACA7-D11357F160B7.jpeg

15C26BBF-BD73-405E-9C28-88C10427FEA5.jpeg

B1303C3C-C98E-43F0-A09C-DE4293087754.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

Awesome work!  

Pullstart

22 horses and counting . . . how many running, waiting to be picked up, or waiting on their turn in the shop - I don't have a clue.  I've officially gotten to the collector phase of hoarding - I don't know how many we have now!!!!

I like your signature update by the way!

• Haha 2

dells68

Another quick update.  Since corona is here and we can’t really get out, I’ve worked on the horse a little.  I pressure washed the tires I’m going to use on it and plan to tube the back ones later tonight.  I had bought some foam and a Indian looking blanket to cover the seat with.  Really wanted a Mexican blanket,  it couldn’t find any locally, so this will have to do.  I decided to shorten and widen the back a little.  Here’s how it looked installed.  I think it turned out ok.  

C2365EDB-59C1-4C0A-85BF-1137A898BB67.jpeg

37B1E1FE-48D1-45DE-A921-FE0F1DCC3BAB.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 6
  • Thanks 1

dells68

Looks like I’m going to have a little more time to mess around thanks to ole corona.  I did manage to wrap the exhaust with heat wrap and fabbed up a guard for the fuel tank from old Ford 501 mower sections.  And @pullstart I had to pay a little honor to you with only one headlight.  Got that one off of the Cyclops 857 when I bought it.

4AD92C12-9D8C-4605-9279-5752ABBC9287.jpeg

CF213B81-466A-4898-A9CA-6D00CE92024C.jpeg

0F66652C-A58B-428F-AE61-0E50CDBF3455.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4

19richie66

Looking sick Dells...... in a good way 👍 I would even be tempted to name it the “Corona Cruiser”

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 6

dells68

Just put the rear wheels and lights on.  Here’s a rear view.  Nice fat meats!

491E3508-2B87-4BF3-A008-EC6CAD93B282.jpeg

• Excellent 6

Pullstart

I feel like we need a few shots from a couple feet back Dell!  You’re starting to make these pics into Uncle Jim Special teasers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

ebinmaine
54 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Looking sick Dells...... in a good way 👍 I would even be tempted to name it the “Corona Cruiser”

I worked with a fella at one point who had raced several different types of motorcycles over his years.

He had a road racing motorcycle that was fully lettered for the Corona Race Team amongst other things.

Wonder whatever happened to that machine....

• Like 1

dells68

Just got done adjusting the belt stop and now she stops, shifts, and drives great!  Here’s a video I took on my first drive out.

I’ve toured with the idea of making a roadster windshield and cycle fenders for the front.  After getting her out, I noticed that the spindles allow the wheels to tilt in a little when sitting straight.  One of the spindles has been welded on before, so I don’t mind to cut and straighten them.  What do you guys think?

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

I think it pretty cool the way it sits!! Richie nailed it.....

2 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

Looking sick Dells...…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Me likely!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

rjg854

Lookin reeeaaal good :auto-layrubber:

• Thanks 1

dells68

@WHX24, sorry buddy had to change one thing - those tilted spindles.  Pictures don’t show it real well, but in person and when driving it, the front wheels cambered in at the top like a swing axle bug when dropped down.  One cut on each, a little leverage, rewelding, and voila the front wheels stand straight when  looking out over the hood.  I swear it made me feel like they were going to bend on up and lay the axle on the ground!  Think I’m done — for now!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

I guess I can't tell from the pics  Dells. ... kinda feel like I am getting the triple bird from those gas tank thingys out front! :ychain: You need to paint them white like fangs.... hey ...then some red blotches like blood on them! :lol:.... boy could you have fun on :occasion-happyhalloween:

• Haha 2

Pullstart
59 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

I guess I can't tell from the pics  Dells. ... kinda feel like I am getting the triple bird from those gas tank thingys out front! :ychain: You need to paint them white like fangs.... hey ...then some red blotches like blood on them! :lol:.... boy could you have fun on :occasion-happyhalloween:

Are those from a sickle mower?

You could add a bomber style mouth and teeth and pinup gal on this Corona Cruiser and keep the D Red...

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1