IthacaJeff

How big a field have you plowed?

IthacaJeff

Hi WH'ers:

Been a while since a posting, but no less interest in my WH!  Anyway, I'm wondering how big a field you have plowed with WH hooked up to a single bottom plow or pulled a disk harrow?

The reason I ask is because I've got a 4 ac overgrown mess, that after 10 years I hope to get in shape.  At least get it to a point that it can be mowed regularly to keep down the invasive species like buckthorn.

Step 1 on the field is slowly removing the buckthorn (about 1 ac worth) with a cordless sawzall, pruners, brush hog rental, and concentrated RoundUp on the stumps.

Step 2 is to get a farmer to brush hog the entire field.

Step 3 is to smooth the field. it is rutted, pitted, gopher-holed, grass-clumped, and so forth.To be able to regularly mow the field needs to be smoothed. There are a number of ways to do this, all would be no problem with SCUT or CUT. But, don't have either, just my 416-8 and a 60' zero turn. (Just retired the 416 from mowing duties.) Smoothing requires a loosening of the soil, which could be heavy disking or the single bottom plow followed by disking. Seems like an overwhelming job for a 35 year old garden tractor, but . . . . who knows?

Anyway, any thoughts?

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Actually, no problem at all.  Just invite some plowing friends over for the day and feed them.  :occasion-xmas:  This group came from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and Illinois to have some fun this last fall.

DSCF9199.JPG

DSCF9200.JPG

DSCF9201.JPG

DSCF9182.JPG

DSCF9203.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

IthacaJeff

Oh, you cannot believe how many videos of garden tractor plowfests and plow days i've watched! If I only knew that many folks with plow set ups on their tractors!

• Thanks 1

stevasaurus

This may be the thread where you find and make some plow friends.  You might be surprised how many members around you would like to do some dirt turning over..  I would think 4 or 5 guys could make quick work of 4 acres.  You don't need a huge horse either.  I was using my 857 up there at Jim's  :occasion-xmas:

DSCF8842.JPG

DSCF8846.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Seems there were a couple rascals and their dad from MI too @stevasaurus :handgestures-thumbupright:

@IthacaJeff it seems we did a total of 17-20 acres in a day?  I imagine if the soil conditions are right, you could knock it out in a long weekend... but hosting an event would likely get you plowed in no time!

• Excellent 4
  • Heart 2

stevasaurus

and Michigan!!!   :ROTF:  :USA:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Achto
1 hour ago, IthacaJeff said:

If I only knew that many folks with plow set ups on their tractors!

Like Steve said, pick a date & put out an invite. You never know, it might turn out to be a good yearly event to get together with new & old friends.

I had to miss the first event pictured above but there is no way that I will miss another one. :)

53 minutes ago, pullstart said:

but hosting an event would likely get you plowed in no time!

In more ways than one if your in WI.:ROTF:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

8ntruck

Pull start - your daughter is quite the tiller.  She is doing better than I was with a single bottom on my 8N when we were living in Kentucky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cvans

You might have a hard time pulling a plow through soil that has had brush growing on it. Even a full sized tractor and plow would have a hard time of it as Buckthorn can get pretty big. The roots and stumps are going to greatly hinder your ability to plow. Plowing 4 acres of good soil on your wheel horse will be a time consuming endeavor. If it were me I would rent a tractor and tiller to break up the ground with. The other option would be a three point disc plow but they are getting hard to find. 

Good luck with your project and let us know what you ended up doing. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Mikey the Monkey

Count me in on your plow day, im only a couple hours away, but as stated above, hooking roots all day wont work. maybe hire a guy with a dozer?

• Like 1

Pullstart
8 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Pull start - your daughter is quite the tiller.  She is doing better than I was with a single bottom on my 8N when we were living in Kentucky.

Tom @Shynon knows how to build a plow tractor!  Rylee listens well and the 953/1054 platform is very easy to operate for little people.... so it was just a perfect machine to be sitting around that @prondzy told us to take for a spin.  After one round, it was Rylee’s seat for the day!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IthacaJeff

Great video! Oh my that was pleasing to watch.  As stated, the field is not in plow ready form at this time. We are hoping that this year we get the buckthorn out -- probably just cut (or forestry mulcher) at the stumps, then RoundUp. It has not been worked in about 20 years, and I'm not sure what we'll find other than small stumps.  For this reason a disk harrow would likely be our best bet to start churning the soil, though a disk plow would be the best tool. But, as Cvans said, I've actually never seen one out here for sale.

When we built the house 10 years ago we had a local guy with a SCUT and rototiller hit about 2 ac around the house for the lawn. I spend the good portion of a summer with the 310-8 and 416, a plow blade, a rented York rake, and a homemade drag to level the area. Brought up a huge number of rocks, and me and the kids spent a lot of time rock picking. It was not fun. . . .

We'll see how she goes. When the field is ready I may put out a call here on RS. Truly a special group of folks.

Thanks, all.

Rock Picking.jpg

• Excellent 4
  • Heart 1

stevasaurus

Now, that is a Calendar shot!!!  :text-yeahthat:  I remember picking up rocks in fields after plowing and putting them on a hay wagon up in Wisconsin.  Not any fun at all.  :orcs-cheers:

A Caption This...might be...When is it my turn to drive the horse??  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by stevasaurus
Dang, I keep coming back in to look at the picture above.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cvans
3 hours ago, IthacaJeff said:

But, as Cvans said, I've actually never seen one out here for sale.

I own one and would be glad to help you if you lived closer. 

You do have another option and that would be a 3 point subsoiler. Cat or maintainer with a scarifire would make short work of that field. 

• Thanks 1

BPEisenhower

How far away are you from Illinois?  You can borrow my Steiger..

IMG-0646.JPG

• Thanks 1

bc.gold

We had a few acres overgrown with blackberry vines, I built portable fencing to enclose half an acre then purchased wieners to do the rooting.

The only problem was the male wieners came with full hardware, we bought a how to book then one Saturday morning Pat and I did the deed.

Pigs will eat anything.

Local farmers market, truck vendors ask for the spoils, pet food stores often have torn bags or out dated stuff they they'll give for free once you tell then your raising pigs.

If you live in grain country and there's a grain cleaning facility nearby ask for the discards which will mostly be weed seed, take and old oil drum cut it in half then cook the seeds.

Cash croppers will always have culls after grading, once brought home a gravel truck full of carrots, for $20.00 the framer loaded the truck.