troutbum70

Electro 12 question

troutbum70

So Ed if we could not get it started it started and it will skid the tires is there a by pass valve to allow free rolling of the tractor to push load and move it around? Tnx

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, troutbum63 said:

So Ed if we could not get it started it started and it will skid the tires is there a by pass valve to allow free rolling of the tractor to push load and move it around? Tnx

if that's the same transmission that's in my 1970 Charger there will be a valve under the seat pan.

Should be a label next to it that tells you what to do with it.

I can post a picture later on this evening but I'm sure somebody will help you out by then.

:handgestures-thumbup:

troutbum70

Okay EB I probably won't get over there till maybe next week so no hurry, I felt there had to be a way to put it into free wheel same as the 417A with the eaton that I have as a parts tractor.

Cvans

You only need to turn the valve one quarter turn in either direction if I remember correctly. If you go a half turn you will be back in the drive setting. took me a while to figure that out. I'm kind of slow you know.:confusion-scratchheadyellow:  It is still not going to roll easily.

• Like 1

troutbum70

Okay Cvans I think I misunderstood Ed's post, if it were pulled and the wheels tires roll it is good sign. If the wheels/tires slide then there may be an issue with it being maybe set up maybe. And okay on turning the valve a quarter turn under the seat thank you.

ebinmaine
21 minutes ago, Cvans said:

You only need to turn the valve one quarter turn in either direction if I remember correctly. If you go a half turn you will be back in the drive setting. took me a while to figure that out. I'm kind of slow you know.:confusion-scratchheadyellow:  It is still not going to roll easily.

1 minute ago, troutbum63 said:

Okay Cvans I think I misunderstood Ed's post, if it were pulled and the wheels tires roll it is good sign. If the wheels/tires slide then there may be an issue with it being maybe set up maybe. And okay on turning the valve a quarter turn under the seat thank you.

Guys I only have the one hydro so next to no experience. This one turns a full half turn.

troutbum70

Eb is yours an eaton and not sundstrand?

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, troutbum63 said:

Eb is yours an eaton and not sundstrand?

Sundstrand

Eaton may very well be different.

• Like 1

troutbum70

Okay looking at tractor data . com the electro 12's had sundstrands.

• Like 1

pfrederi

If the tow valve is in tow position then you should be able to push the tractor  IF you push the hydro engagement lever down (engaged).  I know it is counter intuitive you would think you want the hydro disengaged...but when you pull the lever up you are setting the parking brake(if it still works)

It is one half turn.  Long piece forward is drive mode.  Back is tow.  Note you want the hydro engagement lever down to push.

IMG_0271.JPG

IMG_0272.JPG

IMG_0273.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 2

bottjernat1

I made a how to video on how to adjust the 69 electro wheelhorse. my youngest daughter has one my late dad gave her.  Check it out on my you tube if you need to.  These are such great machines!

20190630_120236.jpg

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

troutbum70

Good video thank you for that.

• Like 1

bottjernat1
18 minutes ago, troutbum63 said:

Good video thank you for that.

Your very welcome. Im no expert but i know a thing or to.  And i am always wanting to learn more. I actually learned this easy trick from a good wheelhorse friend Billy Orr. i'm planning on getting a go pro camera soon so i can do how to videos hands free. I grew up doing this stuff and my late dad was the john deere,ford tractor and garden tractor guy in my area. He had lots of knowledge and stuff(not junk LOL) I miss my dad everyday. When i work on this stuff it makes me feel good. We currently own around 15 garden tractors. Wheel horses, John deere's and 3 beavers! 

• Heart 1

troutbum70

Your dads spirit is right there with you, but I know what you mean I lost my dad last august physically but really lost him a couple years ago when the dementia became worse. We use to do a lot of tinkering on tractors and stuff and we have done a lot more had I not spent the greater part of my life on the road trucking. Will look forward to your videos.

• Sad 2
  • Heart 1

Cvans

I'm going to retract my statement about the freewheel valve. Eric has me wondering if I'm misleading you. Mine had no decals next to the valve. If I'm out there tomorrow I'm going to check mine. It's all stripped down so it's easy to push now. I never could find a spot where it felt like it wanted to roll freely. 

I will say the diesel engine put a lot of torque through that hydro and it never once gave an ounce of trouble. Impressive piece of engineering. 

• Like 1

troutbum70

Thats okay no problem I will not hold you to the accuracy of the bible Cvans. 

• Like 2

Cvans

Went out today and found out Eric was right. 1/2 turn to go from freewheel to drive positions. 

• Like 1

953 nut
5 minutes ago, Cvans said:

found out Eric was right.

@ebinmaine tends to be right some of the time.     :text-lol:              

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

@ebinmaine tends to be right some of the time.     :text-lol:              

I had some darn good teachers here!!

• Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

troutbum70

Eric 1 Cvans 0 so far.

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, troutbum63 said:

Eric 1 Cvans 0 so far.

No worries there.

I get the impression from his posts that @Cvans has more 'horse knowledge than I'll ever....

• Haha 1

troutbum70

I would not argue with any of you fellas, as your knowledge of these tractors far exceeds mine. Even though I have been a wheel horse owner since 1985, my old 417 has been like a timex and has just kept ticking with normal maintenance. Like changing fluids, ignition stuff,tires and so on. 

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Cvans
11 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I get the impression from his posts that @Cvans has more 'horse knowledge than I'll ever....

I've owned a few but except for one they have all been 8 speeds. It isn't going to take much to exceed my knowledge. On top of that my recall isn't anything to brag about either. I'll be 70 this year and the old pencil is getting kind of dull.  

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Cvans said:

I've owned a few but except for one they have all been 8 speeds. It isn't going to take much to exceed my knowledge. On top of that my recall isn't anything to brag about either. I'll be 70 this year and the old pencil is getting kind of dull.  

I'll be 50 this year and mine's been sharp as a marble for a looonnng time already.

My advantage is that Trina has an exceptional memory which helps make up for my lack thereof.

• Haha 2

953 nut
On 1/25/2020 at 6:55 PM, ebinmaine said:

Trina has an exceptional memory which helps make up for my lack thereof.

My wife has a vivid memory of everything that has ever happened, even if it didn't happen the way she is sure it did.      :hide:

I am right around the corner from 75 and while my memory is wonderful, the memory retrieval system seems to have a glitch or two.

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4