JCM

Ice out, summer and fall Southern & Northern Maine Fishing

ebinmaine

@JCM

Jim did you see that the State of Maine put some Free Fishing Weeks out to get people outdoors?

No license needed for inland freshwater until April 30th.

• Like 3

JCM

Hit the water yesterday to try and land some Largemouth / Smallmouth , we ended up with 4 but not worthy of photos. Only 12 '' fish.

I have  not been on the water doing this for many years and was nice to take a break from weekend chores and wet a line with a good friend of many years and fellow Plumber. Did get a chance to get behind the wheel and try out the 250 HP Yamaha, boy is she smooth. Also with the GMC Denali Duramax you don't even know your towing anything. This was in Southern Maine. Hopefully after the September M &  G  we are trying to plan a trip to central Maine 3 hours North and fish again together and should have better luck there and some pictures.

IMG_0845.JPG

IMG_0846.JPG

IMG_0847.JPG

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Gregor
13 minutes ago, JCM said:

IMG_0845.JPG

Now THAT'S a fishing boat !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

stevasaurus

It was great to back and look at this thread.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

@JCM

Great to see you out having a tad bit of much needed R & R!!

The ole ball n chain and I are helping friends with an event next weekend. 

Private trout pond there. 

I may have to drop a lure in it....

• Like 1

JCM

Decided to play hooky from work today and head a couple of hours north with a good friend to go after some Smallmouth and Largemouth. Caught 16 fish split between the 2 of us. Nothing record size but beats a day at work for sure. The picture of the pine trees has a nice bald eagle keeping an eye on our catch. He is up top on a limb in the center of the photo. Weather was close to perfect.

IMG_0882.JPG

IMG_0883.JPG

IMG_0886.JPG

IMG_0893.JPG

IMG_0891.JPG

IMG_0880.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, JCM said:

Smallmouth and Largemouth

NIIIIICE!!!

I've never caught a smallmouth. 

Very cool. 

• Like 1

Achto

Looks like you had a great day. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Smallies are one of my favorite fish to catch. Pound for pound they are the most aggressive fish in the water. My biggest smallie was 5lbs. Very respectable size in our area.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Some day we have to go after smallies on Big Green Dan. Star Lake up north has some great smallie fishing too. 

13 hours ago, JCM said:

beats a day at work for sure.

Bad day of fishing beats a good day at work Plunge! :handgestures-thumbupright:

What were you using for presentation? Plastics? 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 2

JCM

@WHX??   Casting jigs with Gamakatsu hooks with plastic trailer bait and or 5'' Yamasenko and Cotton Cordell Big O Crankbaits.  :handgestures-thumbup:

• Excellent 2

wh500special
2 hours ago, JCM said:

@WHX??   ... Cotton Cordell Big O Crankbaits.  :handgestures-thumbup:

Now that's an old-school lure.  When using crankbaits, one of my uncles only ever used the Big O.  I'm not sure he even owned anything else.  We used to use them early morning for White Bass and Stripers when we'd see them pinning baitfish to the surface.  You can zing those suckers a mile.

I love to fish for SMB.  We don't have them here locally but the place we go to in Minnesota is lousy with them.  Usually pretty easy to catch (there) and they love topwater.

Of course, so do the pike.

That's a nice boat and he has TWO Talons on there.  Wow!

My boat has only been in the water twice since May and neither time did I even take a rod.  It was swimming time for the kids.  With the water cooling off, things are about to pick up.  Hopefully I can get out.

Tight lines,

Steve

• Excellent 1

WHX??

Couple of slobs back in the day. 

100_2664.jpg

100_2495 (2).JPG

Most of the bass we catch are incidental in going after these. A fish you can actually eat which means we are using ultra lite tackle. Nothing like tangling with a bass on the end of a 10ft. crappie rod, dinky spinning reel loaded wit 4 lb test!  

100_1286.jpg

100_1294.jpg

Edited by WHX??
  • Excellent 1

wh500special

Those are beautiful perch.  Wish we had those around here.  So tasty...

• Like 1

Gregor
20 hours ago, JCM said:

with a good friend

IMG_0880.JPG

I need better friends !

• Haha 2

JCM

@Gregor      He has been a very good friend for many years and we have worked along side one another in the Plumbing and Heating trade and have pumped out some serious work together. He's the type of friend you only come across once in a lifetime. Comes from a family of Plumbers. That Bass Cat is his fifth Bass boat, they were all nice but this one is extremely stable at high speed. When he calls and says let's go fishing, I drop everything and go no matter what day of the week it is. Life is way to short and fragile to not spend the opportunity to hang with someone of his caliber.  

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

JCM

Hit the water today with a good friend and headed North an hour and a half for some relaxation. Weather was perfect for this time of year and probably the last day fishing until spring. Pictured is a nice smallmouth bass weighing in at 3.4 lbs. They were a bit tough to catch being down deep, but a lot of fun regardless. Some largemouth and white perch also. Lot of Holiday traffic northbound as we were coming home southbound on the Maine Turnpike. All in all a great day on the water. Can't wait till Spring.

IMG_0951.JPG

IMG_0957.JPG

IMG_0959.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Darb1964

Very nice smallie, that must of been a great time. Congrats

• Like 1

JCM

Thanks Darb. Hope you are well. Keep in touch.

JCM

My significant other has been wanting to go ocean fishing for quite some time. I set one of her brothers and wife up to go striper fishing together with a friend who owns a Charter business 30 minutes from home. They had a great time and the rain did hold off yesterday. Patti just cooked up dinner, nice to have fresh fish on the table.

Patti Fishing2.jpg

Patti Fishing Wells.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4