1967-1257

1967 1257 12 hp engine

1967-1257

I inherited a wheel horse and have always loved them. It's a 1967 1257 with a 12 hp Kohler. Few questions. If I find a 10 or 14, will all my external parts fit ? I almost put a Chinese motor on but really dont want to modify stuff. I know I have the big oil pan. Anything else I should know? I'm trying to find a good used motor but it's being a little tough. I'm in Nampa Idaho so we don't have a lot of wheel horses over here. If I ever drive out to the east coast or Midwest I'm bringing me back lawn mowers!

• Like 1

ebinmaine

:WRS:

Similar vintage engines from a horse should bolt up.

Others will be around to give you better information.

Too bad you're so far away.

I only have 2 spares....

You could look into having one shipped...

What's wrong with the current engine?

953 nut
3 hours ago, 1967-1257 said:

If I find a 10 or 14, will all my external parts fit ?

If the replacement engine (K-241, K-301, K-321, M10, M12, M14) has the same large oil pan configuration it will bolt right on to your present oil pan. You would be able to swap your flywheel, SG etc. to a later model engine or use the starting/charging system that comes with the engine.

When you locate and engine please post a question on here so we can let you know what will and won't work well. With enough money and determination anything can be made to work, but we want to save you some aggravation if we can.

:wwp:

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti:to:rs:

congrats on getting your first 

wheel horse tractor! Im thinking there is another member in Idaho. These motors

are getting hard to find in good running 

condition. But they can be found. I buy 

them up when l can . 

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib
4 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

If the replacement engine (K-241, K-301, K-321, M10, M12, M14) has the same large oil pan configuration it will bolt right on to your present oil pan. You would be able to swap your flywheel, SG etc. to a later model engine or use the starting/charging system that comes with the engine.

When you locate and engine please post a question on here so we can let you know what will and won't work well. With enough money and determination anything can be made to work, but we want to save you some aggravation if we can.

:text-yeahthat:

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

squonk

I put a K 321 from  the late 70's on a 1267. Removed the ring gear from the flywheel and used the original tractor engine shroud and kept the starter / genny configuration.

2053272829_bb006.JPG.80533cf5caa22c888bbe8726074b9465.JPG

• Heart 1

1967-1257
16 hours ago, The Tool Crib said:

:text-yeahthat:

Well guys I will keep looking for a used motor. If I run across any free money I'll consider buying a long block.  I really want this going in the next two months. I'm having fun in life as much as I can and I think this wheel horse wheel put a smile on My face Everytime. I might even mow a little more often I'm 38 years old but I keep my grass fairly nice. It kills my soul every winter when it turns more yellowish. Anyhow, I'm with the guy that anytime I run across a good engine I'm gonna snag it. I plan to buy more wheel horses. I should start researching random engines in wheel horses from 58-69 or so. Just in case.

Screenshot_20200119-210426.png

• Like 1

1967-1257
15 hours ago, squonk said:

I put a K 321 from  the late 70's on a 1267. Removed the ring gear from the flywheel and used the original tractor engine shroud and kept the starter / genny configuration.

2053272829_bb006.JPG.80533cf5caa22c888bbe8726074b9465.JPG

I was looking at yours last night before you commented. I like the decal change. I just want a reason to go a few States over and buy a couple. There was a patina rusty 1959 wheel horse 60 miles away for $900. I wouldnt have paid that but I'll probably rarely find a late 50s to early 60s. In my head, I just want 3-4 wheel horses all running and mowing at the same time. I have an acre. It's gonna be awhile before that picture is taken!

• Like 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, 1967-1257 said:

random engines

Not sure if there's such a thing as an interchange manual or maybe somebody else can help you out with what will fit for sure.

12 horse engines were put into a Wheelhorse beginning in 1967. The 14 that you see above is a later model that Mike adapted in.

There are quite a good number of 10 through 16 horse Kohler engines you could use. Particularly if you adapt some of your own parts to it.

If you have any questions about what will fit please feel free to post a picture of the tag or the engine or both and somebody here will be happy to help you out.

Don't restrict yourself to just this brand. Search the word Kohler while you're looking.