Pullstart

Maybe this is why we should plow with tractors!

Pullstart

I grabbed a good bite of a cracked driveway this morning, traveling probably 15 mph.  I snapped two trip springs and stretched two others.  By the time I got home to fix the springs, my plow’s about to snap off and I broke a hydraulic fitting.  Oh man.

F4247DCD-B533-41A8-B9C5-7E7214CB93F8.jpeg

• Sad 5

Pullstart

I was able to jack the plow in place... or close enough to bust out the welder.  I’ll get the trip springs out of the way then start burning on the steel.

A1481CC9-8386-4539-B98D-5BB23F3242C3.jpeg

C4013B68-233F-4560-B95F-8BC2C6E180E7.jpeg

• Like 4

adsm08

Looks like your mounting frame is torn good at the end.

Time for some welding.

JoeM

Plow and plow trucks take a real beating! And if the driver is not good.....ten time worse!

What's also bad is when you think you've beefed up an area and only find out it moves the problem to another area. 

just thinking

Pullstart

I knew the uneven spot in the driveway was coming.  I normally get the tip of the vee plow up to glide over it.  Today, I don’t know if the switch was slow to act, or possibly I hit the wrong direction.  There’s a lot going on in the cab with one control running two plows up and down, plus 4 wings moving.

C8904B4D-63CC-4B22-8913-4AD01D0E8A1F.jpeg

F3B32482-2BD4-4305-AA31-44CE351F3DC4.jpeg

• Like 4

SylvanLakeWH

Ouch!

Hit one today with the WH but at 4 mph it’s a wee bit easier to adjust...

Hope it welds up good!

• Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Ouch, that hurts.

hope you can fix it quick Buddy.

Pullstart

That should hold.

6C6CEF96-ED2E-47AA-8B50-75C5ED8E80F6.jpeg

• Excellent 7

The Tuul Crib

That must have been one hell of a jolt! Did the airbag deploy?

Edited by The Tool Crib

Pullstart
3 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

That must have been one hell of a jolt! Did the airbag deploy?

I don’t know if this truck has airbags any more... but yeah it sent everything flying in the truck!

The Tuul Crib
1 minute ago, pullstart said:

I don’t know if this truck has airbags any more... but yeah it sent everything flying in the truck!

Projectiles!!

• Haha 1

Tractor boy

@pullstart is that a normal controller for a boss v plow? On the fishers we use we just have a joy 5 button joy stick and you hit a certain button to change the 4 others. 

ebinmaine

Nice job on that repair Kevin.

Upper part of the crack, circled in red, looks like it may be older than the lower part, circled in blue...?

874940051_Screenshot_20200118-1522422.png.28b7fd2bd077cfc9376774358e340098.png

• Like 3

Pullstart
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Nice job on that repair Kevin.

Upper part of the crack, circled in red, looks like it may be older than the lower part, circled in blue...?

874940051_Screenshot_20200118-1522422.png.28b7fd2bd077cfc9376774358e340098.png

I do believe you’re right.  It did look pretty rusty on the top.  I feel like the trip springs were holding it all together.

• Like 1

Darb1964

That's a heavy plow for that frame to hold, good job welding, looks like it has had a lot of use. I never had a v plow. I had one plow a western that tripped the blade like that and the springs to snap it back in place, I did not care for it, sometimes snow would fall on it and it wouldn't snap back all the way. Lots of weight and stress on the frame. I liked the Fisher plows that the bottom edge tripped. Had to keep a good eye on the ware blade though if it was way down the spring brackets would ware off and, well big problems. Plowing is a love/hate relation, I miss but then I don't. 

• Like 3

Pullstart

@Darb1964 I love my 16’ back blade.  I wish my front plow was an 8’ straight edge, or even one of the Blizzard or Western Wide Outs that extend to 10’.  I hear you about love/hate.  Right now it’s a bit more on the hatred side... but it’s because I’m frustrated.  I just covered my truck with hydraulic fluid and I’m not sure where it’s coming from.  My residential customers and weekend needs commercial accounts are taken care of.  Tomorrow’s another day.  I’ll fix the blowout and clean up the rest of my commercial accounts before Monday rolls around.  

After the repairs, it’ll slide back to the love side of the business.

6C01C9DE-9FB6-444F-91C6-4E42EE7C6873.jpeg

EE5D560C-76B0-49C1-9C0F-1FB470E5DB01.jpeg

389C5D90-C827-40E7-9E6C-83C4D89CFACB.jpeg

• Sad 3

Tractorhead

be happy nothing heavier hits the Windscreen at this impact.

Maybe it‘s a good idea after that heavy hit to check all mountingbrackets to and on the Frame.

But i‘m sure you did allready.

good Work👍

• Like 1

Pullstart
3 hours ago, Tractor boy said:

@pullstart is that a normal controller for a boss v plow? On the fishers we use we just have a joy 5 button joy stick and you hit a certain button to change the 4 others. 

This controller is all custom.  One of the previous owners built the control package.  It runs via an under the hood clutch pump.  There’s a monster reservoir, of which I just emptied in the office parking of a commercial account.  Oops.  From the pump, it splits to the front and rear valve blocks.  The Boss is essentially just a skeleton, of which the custom controls pushes around.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, Tractorhead said:

be happy nothing heavier hits the Windscreen at this impact.

Maybe it‘s a good idea after that heavy hit to check all mountingbrackets to and on the Frame.

But i‘m sure you did allready.

good Work👍

Thanks Stefan!  Structurally, it appears the trip function absorbed the majority of impact... other than the plow frame that took the rest of the hit!

P.S. GO TO SLEEP!  😜 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
15 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I just covered my truck with hydraulic fluid and I’m not sure where it’s coming from

A leak in the hydraulic system.

:hide:

Sorry...

:)

I just had to. .....

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

squonk

We had a grounds keeper who plows too fast. Always in a hurry .Was going about 15 when he broadsides a lady coming into work. Totaled her Blazer and put her out of work for a year. Your plowing with a big-ass plow. SLOW DOWN!! 

Edited by squonk

Tractor boy

@pullstart What’s your plowing rig? I’m running a 02 350 with a 7” minute mount with no sander for my boss. Work’s good bug not as well as a v. 

Pullstart
12 hours ago, squonk said:

We had a grounds keeper who plows too fast. Always in a hurry .Was going about 15 when he broadsides a lady coming into work. Totaled her Blazer and put her out of work for a year. Your plowing with a big-ass plow. SLOW DOWN!! 

I agree whole heartedly.  I was on a 1/2 mile driveway in the middle of the woods.  Population per acre was me and some squirrels.  At the end of the day, a customer stuck in their driveway because I’m broke down is a safe and warm at home customer.  If they can’t get out of their drive, they can’t get down the road.  If I’m in town my focus is more on my surroundings and other movements, than my time trials.

11 hours ago, Tractor boy said:

@pullstart What’s your plowing rig? I’m running a 02 350 with a 7” minute mount with no sander for my boss. Work’s good bug not as well as a v. 

‘01 2500HD regular cab long box.  6.0 gasser.

Pullstart

Sometimes a little rest will give new perspective on things.  A wing cylinder line blew.  It was able to shoot hydraulic fluid (auto trans fluid mixed in for color) completely over the truck.  Easy peasey.

CA2A1F16-B59F-44A3-BB45-CBC15242E533.jpeg

084F84C1-380E-44E3-9E6A-E95C376485C7.jpeg

• Like 2

Pullstart

@Tractor boy here’s some light on that controller.  When I bought the truck, the guy got it out of the barn for me, then turned me loose.  I drew this up so if anyone happens to need to take the truck for me, it has a little less learning curve.  My muscle memory knows this control quite well now... most the time.  I really don’t know if it was me or the truck that was slow to skip over the big crack.

CF41D858-43DA-4C77-A264-A22FFB12CC6E.jpeg

• Like 1