Owen1983

Lawn ranger weights

Owen1983

Has anyone built a weight box on the back of a lawn ranger? I have a 66 with a harbor freight 8 horse on it. The first winter it did amazing pushing snow with just the chain's on the tires, now i have lost 40 pounds due to some medicine i was taking for blood pressure and now i can't keep the darn thing moving forward. Thought about making something to hold some sand or something and mounting it to the back. Just wondered if anyone had done it and would be willing to share pictures or ideas

ebinmaine

Losing 40 pounds is good for most of us...

Hope your health is at a point of being manageable.

Does your Lawn Ranger have any sort of hitch?

You could build a plywood box and bolt it to a hitch. 

@JimmyJam had one a couple years ago on here somewhere.

Personally I advise nearly everyone to get your rear tires fluid filled. Even the lightest of fluids will add 7+ pounds per gallon to the tractor.

Rimguard will add 11 pounds per gallon.

Lee1977

SAM_0072.JPG.918a459b3d99c55f37a47e08a6e867d4.JPG

If your Ranger uses a standard rear axle plow hitch. Remove the top metal brackets and add some 1/4" thick by 2" angle to extend out past the rear. You can then attach a box for weight or a receiver hitch to install

a weight bracket or a box that can easily be removed. If just attaching a box,I would turn the angles obsite from mine so the box could sit on the angles.

Edited by Lee1977

Owen1983

Mine just has a pin style hitch on the back. I have an aluminum 5 gallon bucket holder I'm thinking of modifying to fit on the back and filling it with sand.

And yes so far my health is ok. Just keep trying different medications until I get one that doesn't mess me up with side effects

• Like 2

ebinmaine

You should be able to fit about 70 pounds of dry sand in a 5 gallon pail.

@Lee1977 has a great idea with the angle iron above. That would be very strong. ... And more importantly.... Stable.

oilwell1415
16 minutes ago, Owen1983 said:

Mine just has a pin style hitch on the back. I have an aluminum 5 gallon bucket holder I'm thinking of modifying to fit on the back and filling it with sand.

And yes so far my health is ok. Just keep trying different medications until I get one that doesn't mess me up with side effects

Just run a long bolt up through the hole and stack barbell weights on it.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Normal snow plow bracket will not fit on a Lawn Ranger.  The draw bar doesn't stick out far enough to use anything but a really small barbell weight. and th rear wheel do not have holes for mounting 8 " wheel weights.

if you could find a snow plow bracket set that didn't have the spacer bar you might be able to fabricate something but it would wind up very very close to the ground.

pfrederi

Here is a hitch extender I bought for my Ranger many years ago.  You have to be very carefully with the amount of loading.  i bent my draw bar while using it but 40-50 lbs shouldn't be a problem. 

IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0252.JPG

• Like 1

CCW

Remove the ball and put a piece of round stock thru the hole and bolt to lower hole.  Can the extender gain additional support from some bolts on the transmission.  Maybe some here can help with that.

• Like 2

Lee1977

You could still clamp the angle to the square axle housing . Four bolts and some 1/4" flat bar on the bottom.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 1

Owen1983

Owen1983

I tried to upload a picture of the bucket holder but not sure if it worked. That is the way the holder is built. Thinking of cutting the mounts and attaching it to the axle with u bolts.

ebinmaine
16 minutes ago, Owen1983 said:

I tried to upload a picture of the bucket holder but not sure if it worked. That is the way the holder is built. Thinking of cutting the mounts and attaching it to the axle with u bolts.

Pic doesn't show here.