Pullstart

My next custom Wheel Horse

Pullstart
3 hours ago, oilwell1415 said:

A fish plate would be OK, but blocks the holes in the frame if you ever may need them.  It also doesn't add as much strength as you would think it does.  But if you put it on the inside and then filled the holes with weld it would do a lot more for strength and clean up the sides of the frame if you know you will never need them again.

What I was thinking was something like this.  Adding to the flange of the frame rail increases strength exponentially because it is farther from the centerline of the frame.  Angle iron also tends to initially fail because it either twists or bows out ward.  Then once the initial failure starts the geometry gets worse and worse until it really fails and gets ugly.  Adding a simple cross brace eliminates both of the likely initial failure modes (twisting and bowing out) and adding a little to the flange improves the straight bending strength of the frame rail.

image.png.61b9e318a5514abcf23222a9b8af4e9b.png

Wish I could reply many different times!  

HAHAHA!  Love your drawing notes!

HEART! Love your input on the design for strength!

THUMBS/THANKS! Whether I understand your brains or not, having it down on print where I can read and chew and read again (out loud helps the most for me) and chew a bit more... is a big help!

• Like 3

Pullstart

@oilwell1415 @wallfish @8ntruck Thank you for your inputs.  @ebinmaine and me, we’ll be sittin’ back trying to practice our words so we can be wise some day too.  In the meantime, we’ll be learning!

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, pullstart said:

@oilwell1415 @wallfish @8ntruck Thank you for your inputs.  @ebinmaine and me, we’ll be sittin’ back trying to practice our words so we can be wise some day too.  In the meantime, we’ll be learning!

I'm wise.

Wise ahhhh.

Wait maybe that's not what you meant.

I can usually pull off a half-decent expression of intelligence at least once or twice a year.

:ROTF:

• Haha 3

oilwell1415

I wouldn’t go so far as wise.  I just went to school for so long I couldn’t help but pick up a few things.  Honestly, I grew up in the country fixing stuff. I think the biggest thing I got from school was computer skills (I use that term loosely) and some fancy math.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Say we meet in the middle?  This would help support the welded area, but not get in the way of say a mid mount attachment, or snow plow if that were in the works some day?

CD89614E-4FDA-43BB-B63E-F2E58464CC25.jpeg

• Like 2

19richie66

There. Fixed it for you.

C530C445-8327-45C1-878C-EF675CC0B7AC.jpeg

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

953 nut

:confusion-confused:                    Richie, why did you put Kevin in the dump bed?                 :scared-eek:

C530C445-8327-45C1-878C-EF675CC0B7AC.jpeg

• Haha 5

wallfish
1 hour ago, 19richie66 said:

There. Fixed it for you.

YEAH  Now it looks like old school traction bars under there! He can always tow a trailer if he has to move some dirt

th.jpg.8a79379c8ba61a28de9eec84d9b3f1bb.jpg

Edited by wallfish
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

Achto
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I don't want to know THAT it did something. I want to know WHY it did something...

This reminds me of a statement from one of my teachers in high school. " If you know how to do some thing, you can get a job. If you know why you do it, you can be the boss. "

• Like 3
  • Heart 2

wallfish

Since we're doing cartoons

th.jpg.3fddab9cdc69edb07ab0c7b2d9e40cc8.jpg

• Haha 6

wallfish
21 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Richie, why did you put Kevin in the dump bed? 

Because of what he has him doing in there

• Haha 4

SylvanLakeWH

So...

Remind me...

This thread is about making :wh:cartoon drawings of a dude building bridges while drinking adult beverages in a dump bed while his daughter gets launched from a potato gun, with a stable frame?

:confusion-confused:

• Haha 4

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

So...

Remind me...

This thread is about making :wh:cartoon drawings of a dude building bridges while drinking adult beverages in a dump bed while his daughter gets launched from a potato gun, with a stable frame?

:confusion-confused:

YYEESSS!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Hey where's that potato launcher being mounted??

• Haha 1

ebinmaine

@19richie66

AWESOME

oilwell1415
3 hours ago, pullstart said:

Say we meet in the middle?  This would help support the welded area, but not get in the way of say a mid mount attachment, or snow plow if that were in the works some day?

CD89614E-4FDA-43BB-B63E-F2E58464CC25.jpeg

That will work.  You just have to make sure the front half and back half are tied together at the mid point.  On the rear diagonal it may be better to run if from the bottom rear to the top at the front to provide more support to the trans mount.  Real world it probably won't matter, but if you're going to do it you should take advantage of everything you can get for the effort.

• Thanks 1

8ntruck

Yup. :text-yeahthat:

As far as wisdom goes, please take everything I write with a grain or two of salt.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Thanks 1

8ntruck

Kev - just thought I'd throw another couple of cents worth of opinion into the ring.  Probably too soon to talk about paint color, but, how about an MDOT theme?  Orange, with yellow and green flashing lights, a belly plow underneath, and a salt spreader out back.  After all, you do plow driveways.....

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, oilwell1415 said:

Real world it probably won't matter

If it's built strong enough that it never matters... Excellent.

That's EXACTLY what I'd be going for.

5 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

please take everything I write with a grain or two of salt

Mine is more like a 

15808104766916373742833142619062.jpg.67be62dea82118c50549cdb2dec81829.jpg

Small container....

• Haha 1

R. L. Addison

I would love to be able to build a project like this and have given it a lot of thought on certain areas of design. I am saving a few parts as I go along,  ( D series axles valves & cylinders, & some other things that do not come to this feeble mind at this point) even knowing it can  never materialize.

I would never use a pawl parking lock on this type of project for my personal use, I would use the brake band type on the  hydraulic drive motor as is used on later Sundstrand units. In my opinion it is much more practical, safer, and much more serviceable than the pawl type. I would use pawl only for double safety (with band type) and might be a good idea with children. Also would give option for individual wheel brakes.

My ideal would be the D axles with a straight keyway for two hubs for dual wheels (6.00 - 12's) with the insides tires @ recommended pressure, & the outside tires @ less to relieve stress on the outside needle bearings in the final drive case. 

I would use Omco valves for the hydraulics as they have the open centers needed for the makeup flow for piston to piston pump in the hydrostat as needed and can be added if needed

for later modifications if needed.

Also with the piston to piston hydro, you would have the splined input shaft w/fan in pulley & no need for that pulley which is interfering with the tire.

Could be more, but it is past bedtime & I hope to get up to clear sidewalks for schoolkids.   R.A.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
5 hours ago, R. L. Addison said:

I would love to be able to build a project like this and have given it a lot of thought on certain areas of design. I am saving a few parts as I go along,  ( D series axles valves & cylinders, & some other things that do not come to this feeble mind at this point) even knowing it can  never materialize.

I would never use a pawl parking lock on this type of project for my personal use, I would use the brake band type on the  hydraulic drive motor as is used on later Sundstrand units. In my opinion it is much more practical, safer, and much more serviceable than the pawl type. I would use pawl only for double safety (with band type) and might be a good idea with children. Also would give option for individual wheel brakes.

My ideal would be the D axles with a straight keyway for two hubs for dual wheels (6.00 - 12's) with the insides tires @ recommended pressure, & the outside tires @ less to relieve stress on the outside needle bearings in the final drive case. 

I would use Omco valves for the hydraulics as they have the open centers needed for the makeup flow for piston to piston pump in the hydrostat as needed and can be added if needed

for later modifications if needed.

Also with the piston to piston hydro, you would have the splined input shaft w/fan in pulley & no need for that pulley which is interfering with the tire.

Could be more, but it is past bedtime & I hope to get up to clear sidewalks for schoolkids.   R.A.

Thanks for your input!  I too am on my way out to clear some snow... we finally achieved just barely 2” and the storm’s almost over.

I’d like to know more about the brake band hub on later Sundstrand pumps, I wasn’t aware of them...

oilwell1415

Another brake option might be some go kart brakes.  With all of the room inside those wheels you could probably make something work on the axles.  You could probably get a pair of go kart band brakes for under $50.

Pullstart
57 minutes ago, oilwell1415 said:

Another brake option might be some go kart brakes.  With all of the room inside those wheels you could probably make something work on the axles.  You could probably get a pair of go kart band brakes for under $50.

My wheel adapters could could easily be fitted with drums... whether I use tractor/kart style bands, or even adapt some automotive backing plates and shoes...

• Like 1

Stormin

Bands would be my choice. Simple, easy to make, easier to keep clean and less likely to seize up in adverse conditions.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
10 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Bands would be my choice. Simple, easy to make, easier to keep clean and less likely to seize up in adverse conditions.

Plus I might be able to support a vendor here...  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Heart 1