Herder

John Deere 112

Herder

So in the process of building one of these transmission dollies this old girl showed up and snuck her way into the shop.  Well that's not really how it happened.   

IMG_1527.JPG.bffc59c80df9f92ee0d508912a330110.JPG

Don't worry it's not mine, a friend picked this up and it's sat for years.  Cant turn my nose up at chance to make a buck or two.  Boy it is GREEN!!

IMG_1529.JPG.d68e80b22a376de0e4971eea80fd5ee0.JPGIMG_1530.JPG.5240ca306c2c66e07616e210f1665966.JPGIMG_1531.JPG.fa37d48e2f369bdae8c06341b04ff6e8.JPG

Started with the top end. Removed the head and de-carboned everything, oiled the valves and cylinder.  No slack in the piston and one of the cleanest engines I see.  

IMG_1532.JPG.5cab8f72b1fc7df3b7d7e5ba0277beaa.JPG

The carburetor is tomorrows project.   

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

So are you getting it functioning for him then?  Don’t let that thing try to sneak in the stall with the Horses, A Deere Horse would be a funny color combo!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

A Deere Horse would be a funny color combo

Mixing red and green together makes the color Brown....

i should NOT have to remind you what else is brown...

:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Herder
58 minutes ago, pullstart said:

So are you getting it functioning for him then?  Don’t let that thing try to sneak in the stall with the Horses, A Deere Horse would be a funny color combo!

That's the plan.  Get it up and running, go through everything and send it on it's way.  She looks pretty comfortable in the shop.  I had a 110 with a brigs many years ago.  It wasn't built like this one.    

Pullstart
6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Mixing red and green together makes the color Brown....

i should NOT have to remind you what else is brown...

:P

Colossus?  :ROTF:

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Colossus?  :ROTF:

Well

Yes

Nicely done sir

• Thanks 1

JCM

Red  Green  Orange  Brown  Blue        Tractors in those colors    It's all good. Hope I didn't miss any.       Oh   Pinkish.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
19 minutes ago, JCM said:

Red  Green  Orange  Brown  Blue        Tractors in those colors    It's all good. Hope I didn't miss any.       Oh   Pinkish.

Yellow & white.

Bronze.

Light pastel green.

• Haha 1

WVHillbilly520H

The older Deere are a decent GT as well as the Yellow and White & Red IHCC then Blue Ford/Jacobson , Orange Simplicity and Allis Chalmers and the color wheel and brand name could go on, FIL has near mint JD 212 hiding out in the barn like Jim @JCM said it's all good up to the latest plastic and aluminium wanna be tractors they are producing now.

• Like 1

Herder

It is well built, heavy duty.  I must say the way it steers and the size of the front end components are impressive.  

WVHillbilly520H
55 minutes ago, Herder said:

It is well built, heavy duty.  I must say the way it steers and the size of the front end components are impressive.  

Yep and most won't admit it but those Deere the PTO set up as well transaxle drive is very similar to our beloved WH ... now as far as the transaxle itself?

T-Mo

Deere never put in a Briggs in a 110, so either it was a 111 or a LA110.  All of the 110s had in them were either a 8 hp Kohler or a 10 hp Kohler.  The 112 is basically a 110 with a larger engine in it.  It originally came with a 10 hp Tecumseh, but later Deere offered them with a Kohler starting in 1969 with the 10 hp Kohler K-241, and then in 1972 all 112s came with a 12 hp K-301 in them.  The square fender 110/112 were built from 1968 to 1974.  That one has the integral hitch, which is Deere's term for a sleeve hitch.  I don't see the manual lift lever, so that one may be an electric lift.  I don't think it's an hydraulic lift tractor as I don't see the pump.

• Thanks 1

Herder
On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 6:50 AM, WVHillbilly520H said:

Yep and most won't admit it but those Deere the PTO set up as well transaxle drive is very similar to our beloved WH ... now as far as the transaxle itself?

Could you educate me on the transaxle, I know nothing about them.  Type of fluid and amount and what to look for.  Would appreciate it.  Thanks.

WVHillbilly520H
37 minutes ago, Herder said:

Could you educate me on the transaxle, I know nothing about them.  Type of fluid and amount and what to look for.  Would appreciate it.  Thanks.

I honestly have no experience with them other than sitting on them ... Or conversing with other JD owners... @T-Mo most likely can help you out there.

• Thanks 1

Mudrig150

Peerless 2300, 4 speed with creeper gear, uses 64 oz of SAE EP 80W90 oil. 

• Thanks 1

Mudrig150
On 1/2/2020 at 7:12 AM, T-Mo said:

Deere never put in a Briggs in a 110, so either it was a 111 or a LA110.  All of the 110s had in them were either a 8 hp Kohler or a 10 hp Kohler.  The 112 is basically a 110 with a larger engine in it.  It originally came with a 10 hp Tecumseh, but later Deere offered them with a Kohler starting in 1969 with the 10 hp Kohler K-241, and then in 1972 all 112s came with a 12 hp K-301 in them.  The square fender 110/112 were built from 1968 to 1974.  That one has the integral hitch, which is Deere's term for a sleeve hitch.  I don't see the manual lift lever, so that one may be an electric lift.  I don't think it's an hydraulic lift tractor as I don't see the pump.

It is.

WVHillbilly520H

What I do know is Cub Cadet also used a Peerless 4spd forward transaxle in their lower priced entry level models (482 and 582 Special) that were also Briggs powered... Those Peerless weren't as dependable as the original Cub transaxles... But JD spec may have been heavier duty/built.

T-Mo

Some have used 120/140 gear oil if the transmission was a bit whiny - the heavier gear oil seems to help quieten them down some.

Herder
5 hours ago, Mudrig150 said:

Peerless 2300, 4 speed with creeper gear, uses 64 oz of SAE EP 80W90 oil. 

Thank you.  Could you tell me is there another safety switch besides the neutral safety switch.  Currently I know that one is not working and I am not get power to signal wire going to the starter relay switch.         

T-Mo

There should be a pto safety switch also.  Here is a diagram from the service manual that might help:

late sf electrical.tiff

Herder
5 hours ago, T-Mo said:

There should be a pto safety switch also.  Here is a diagram from the service manual that might help:

late sf electrical.tiffUnavailable

Thank you T.  Dam Deere's owner dropped off the service manual for it today.  It's what I needed for sure.  A lot of the electrical components are in poor condition form sitting outside.  I found that the rectifier has a burnt connection and was thinking that could be contributing to the problem.  The electrical is a pain to get too.  Everything is under the fuel tank and battery tray or hidden behind a shield. :bitch: I will NOT be buying a Deere anytime soon!!!  They are not built like a Wheel Horse.  

• Like 2

wildman
3 hours ago, Herder said:

The electrical is a pain to get too.  Everything is under the fuel tank and battery tray or hidden behind a shield. :bitch: I will NOT be buying a Deere anytime soon!!!  They are not built like a Wheel Horse.  

This is why i sold my Deeres and went with wheel  Horse

• Excellent 1