AHS

312-8 command

AHS
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Runs and drives ok?

Have to see pics for sure but the transmission is worth $100-$150 just by itself.

So's the engine..

I think a 314 came from the factory with the 1-1/8" axles.....?

I thought so to, but this was an early one (86 to 90?) I think those had 1”. That’s all I have ever seen on those 312 and 310s. But I haven’t seen a 314...

• Like 1

AHS

Does that run rich? With the air flow to the carb being cut right in half? @Lagersolut I have done the same to mine , put a piece of plate on there and screwed it to the air cleaner shell.

Lagersolut
6 hours ago, AHS said:

Does that run rich? With the air flow to the carb being cut right in half? @Lagersolut I have done the same to mine , put a piece of plate on there and screwed it to the air cleaner shell.

No , not even a little . 

• Like 1

AHS
On 12/30/2019 at 7:57 PM, AHS said:

Ok... I’m getting sick of this! I’m blowing snow, to the left and snow gets in the spinning flywheel and it turns to water and water travels thru the intake and thru the air filter... and water in the carb! I have shoved a sock into the short square intake between the flywheel and the air filter... that works...  does anybody else have a solution?  (Without getting a C160 with an old school air filter that’s round!👍 @ebinmaine)

FDE220B3-750C-4CE5-8AD7-CBF869E598C6.jpeg

77263F48-ECA2-41DD-93A0-7E95D4F3DA77.jpeg

Mike, at the old wheelhorse dealership, told me about “a winter kit”, that would prevent ice from building up in that square boot! As I have made up a plate like @Lagersolut. The whole tractor gets covered in snow when I’m snow blowing... mike said water in the gas... I guess that is a possibility.... I guess that’s another plus for the C160..the gas tank under the hood!! @ebinmaine the plate that I have made for the air filter tin (the gold tin) and silicone gasketed to the tin... never mind I will just get a picture! I hope it works!

• Like 1

AHS

Alright! It runs! And no different than before! (I can’t believe that it doesn’t run rich, cause of all the airflow I cut off!) And a little dry gas in the tank.... and we’ll wait till it snows!😁🙏

1792AE61-A8FC-4DC3-BB8C-ADD367EE43ED.jpeg

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, AHS said:

dry gas

if you don't end up using that tractor in the next three or four weeks you might want to let that tank full run-through.

I'm not a big believer in leaving alcohol in a small engine for any length of time at all.

The modification looks good. Hopefully it works!

• Like 1

AHS
On 1/24/2020 at 3:36 PM, ebinmaine said:

if you don't end up using that tractor in the next three or four weeks you might want to let that tank full run-through.

I'm not a big believer in leaving alcohol in a small engine for any length of time at all.

The modification looks good. Hopefully it works!

I know! I’m not a big fan of having dry gas in small engines either! Hopefully it works!!

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, AHS said:

I know! I’m not a big fan of having dry gas in small engines either! Hopefully it works!!

Oh it'll work....

The science of chemistry is pretty concise.

I did think of something this morning though.

You WILL want to get that whole tank of 

Gas/water/various alcohols out... ASAP.

Google

Phase separation

Once the water and alcohols mix they will settle apart from the gasoline.

That chemical does more harm than good and NEEDS to be removed.

The good news is.... The best way to remove it is to DRIVE THE TRACTOR around until bone-dry... Then refill. (Hopefully with non E gas ).

BTW. Driving around is preferred to letting it sit and run because it keeps things moving around the tank and fuel system assisting more water/alcohol mix to be found and removed from any pockets in the system.

When was the last time you replaced the fuel lines?

AHS

I always run non ethanol gas in my small engines. Never have I replaced the fuel line, I was thinking about replacing fuel lines... what if there’s already water in the fuel filter... oh the wonders of winter in Maine!! I want to go spring fishing!!😁

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, AHS said:

Never have I replaced the fuel line, I was thinking about replacing fuel lines

I'd say get as much of the "stuff" that's currently in there, out.

Then change all lines and filter.

I've switched over to using a see through fuel line on mine.

• Like 1

AHS
On 1/26/2020 at 9:09 AM, ebinmaine said:

I'd say get as much of the "stuff" that's currently in there, out.

Then change all lines and filter.

I've switched over to using a see through fuel line on mine.

Ok, I’ve switched the lines to a new one (the fuel line made in USA!), fuel filter, and the tank grommet (mine was cracked)  once I’m on my tractor I can, once in a while, smell gas... is my tank cracked? I dunno if it can possibly happen, due to the tanks makeup... its plastic!! I’ve ran every type of fuel level in it, from nearly empty to full... has anyone heard of a plastic tank cracking? This in on my ‘00 312-8.

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, AHS said:

plastic tank cracking

I'm not familiar with the newer model stuff but I can tell you for a fact that the plastic tanks in the 70s can crack on the seams.

AHS
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I'm not familiar with the newer model stuff but I can tell you for a fact that the plastic tanks in the 70s can crack on the seams.

Rear gas tank? Or front? @ebinmaine

ebinmaine
36 minutes ago, AHS said:

Rear gas tank? Or front? @ebinmaine

Front, sir.

But I've also had one of those under seat tanks that was bad.

That was in the parts pile that I got from the auction.

Didn't have it in a tractor so I never knew what it came out of.

AHS

Ok, mine is under the seat.

• Like 1