AHS

312-8 command

AHS

Ok... I’m getting sick of this! I’m blowing snow, to the left and snow gets in the spinning flywheel and it turns to water and water travels thru the intake and thru the air filter... and water in the carb! I have shoved a sock into the short square intake between the flywheel and the air filter... that works...  does anybody else have a solution?  (Without getting a C160 with an old school air filter that’s round!👍 @ebinmaine)

FDE220B3-750C-4CE5-8AD7-CBF869E598C6.jpeg

77263F48-ECA2-41DD-93A0-7E95D4F3DA77.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

ebinmaine
25 minutes ago, AHS said:

Without getting a C160 with an old school air filter that’s round!👍 @ebinmaine)

Sounds like you already found the solution....

Boy have I got a deal for you...

Too bad your so far away....

ZXT

I'd pull the duct off and plug the hole in the shroud with something. I'd say plug the hole in the filter housing but I'm not sure if the filter lid fits tightly or if it's like the older filters where it pulls air in around the edges. 

AHS
6 hours ago, ZXT said:

I'd pull the duct off and plug the hole in the shroud with something. I'd say plug the hole in the filter housing but I'm not sure if the filter lid fits tightly or if it's like the older filters where it pulls air in around the edges. 

The lid pulls off around the air filter... good idea!

gwest_ca

I made up a plastic side panel to close in the left side. Three magnets hold it to the inside of the grille panel top and bottom and rear of the hood. Added rubber bumpers to keep it away from the flywheel screen so it can still get air. Stops about 95% of the snow on an M12. Black plastic is Crazy Snow Carpet toboggan.

Garry

• Like 3

AHS

I tried this today, a little bit of duct tape! To be honest, it ran a bit rich, I could smell it.... it will work fine for plowing! Need another wheel horse😁😁!

9F0E6881-FEBB-4C8B-9AD1-6CA9F293238F.jpeg

AHS
17 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I’ll make it down there someday!😁👍

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, AHS said:

I’ll make it down there someday!😁👍

Just make sure you bring a truck or trailer.

• Thanks 1

MikMacMike
18 hours ago, AHS said:

Ok... I’m getting sick of this! I’m blowing snow, to the left and snow gets in the spinning flywheel and it turns to water and water travels thru the intake and thru the air filter... and water in the carb! I have shoved a sock into the short square intake between the flywheel and the air filter... that works...  does anybody else have a solution?  (Without getting a C160 with an old school air filter that’s round!👍 @ebinmaine)

FDE220B3-750C-4CE5-8AD7-CBF869E598C6.jpeg

77263F48-ECA2-41DD-93A0-7E95D4F3DA77.jpeg

Ive noticed over the years that and especially on anything used in winter they try to introduce a bit of warm air to the filter area.....if that square tubes function is this then its a good Idea to leave it open, when we get into sub zero temps sometimes even with clean air the carb can and does Ice up, Id be inclined to make out of sheet metal or plastic that redirects the incoming air into the fins on the flywheel. It can be fabricated where dureing the warmer months this extra shrowed can be removed easily allowing for the extra flow it will need for cooling?

pfrederi

Or do it like a regular snowblower.  Take the air cleaner off.  A little  moisture  going in won't hurt anything.  Piston engine fighter planes had water injection for extra power in combat....

• Like 2

MikMacMike
9 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Or do it like a regular snowblower.  Take the air cleaner off.  A little  moisture  going in won't hurt anything.  Piston engine fighter planes had water injection for extra power in combat....

hahahah yaaaaaa water injection....but if the casing is that cold it might still ise up there??? Im not sure......the air is usually alot cleaner in winter....if you remove the filter Id probably reset the carb, it could and i say just posible run on the lean side???

• Like 1

midpack
18 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

hey... i get up your way occasionally. and I LOVE big bores!  :) 

• Like 1

AHS

Or make a pre filter for the square part, out of foam.

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, midpack said:

hey... i get up your way occasionally. and I LOVE big bores!  :)

I don't have any 16 horse engines. I do have a couple of twelves.

Not counting the wiring and plumbing, some small stuff, or a seat...

I'm about 99% sure I have everything a person would need to build your own B or C series 12 horse, 8-speed.

All spare parts I've accumulated from several different reasons.....

MikMacMike

Hehehehehe it sure doesnt take long to acumulate extra eh Ebinmaine. about a decade ago I got rid of a whole bunch of chevy small block engines and tons of everything that went on them. Well actually I was pressured into doing it sadly.....even an origional SBC with a blank numbers block from I think 1955 or 6, origonal 265 cu, in. origonal paint you name it. There sure is some stuff I wish I still had. Im so bad for saying ....one day I know Ill use that with everything......I was told I had  a disease.....I forget the latin name for the disease but it sounded like I had hooping junk collecting caugh lmao.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Lagersolut
On 12/30/2019 at 7:57 PM, AHS said:

This is what I did - have this tractor from new and I corrected it after my first oil change after my filter was caked with grass and dust from that air induction tube . Somebody ( Toro or Kohler ) dropped the ball on this IMHO .

I completely eliminated it . The only thing that air induction tube on these tractors is good for is destroying the engine .

Some sheet metal from Lowe's 2-3 inches wide - short self tapping sheet metal screws and some sealant and  it's done .

IMG_3379.JPG

Edited by Lagersolut
  • Like 1

AHS

Ok. Duh! I removed the boot and covered it up with duct tape... I would like to make a little more “final and done!” Like you did @Lagersolut do you run that in the summertime? When it is 80 degrees? This is a good idea!👍....I saw this just 2 hours after planning to buy a 314-8 with 1 1/8” 8 pinion axles and a 48” deck (sorta rusty😳) for $300.00! (Doesn’t replace the C160 I’m dreaming of @ebinmaine)😁

• Like 1

AHS

What’s 1 more wheelhorse that my wife doesn’t know about! 😁😁 

• Haha 1

Lagersolut
3 minutes ago, AHS said:

Ok. Duh! I removed the boot and covered it up with duct tape... I would like to make a little more “final and done!” Like you did @Lagersolut do you run that in the summertime? When it is 80 degrees? This is a good idea!👍....I saw this just 2 hours after planning to buy a 314-8 with 1 1/8” 8 pinion axles and a 48” deck (sorta rusty😳) for $300.00! (Doesn’t replace the C160 I’m dreaming of @ebinmaine)😁

Yea it was warm out - pulled it into the garage for oil and service when I took the top air cleaner cover off it was caked ....I mean caked.... with grass and fine dust .....it was immediately corrected .

• Like 1

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, AHS said:

C1*** I’m dreaming of

Got enough parts layin around for you to build a C120...

Juss saying...

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, AHS said:

What’s 1 more wheelhorse that my wife doesn’t know about! 😁😁 

I'll babysit that awesome Power King if you want to make space.

AHS
10 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I'll babysit that awesome Power King if you want to make space.

Um...maybe! 

• Heart 1

ebinmaine
Just now, AHS said:

Um...maybe! 

Now ya just toying with me....

:lol:

• Like 1

AHS

Do you think that $300 is a good deal for a 314-8 with an ok deck, (the decks rusted) 48” deck. I think I can fix the deck. The rear end was changed to a ruggeder one (1 1/8 8 pinion). I think it’s a good deal. Its not a rust bucket! @ebinmaine

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, AHS said:

Do you think that $300 is a good deal for a 314-8 with an ok deck, (the decks rusted) 48” deck. I think I can fix the deck. The rear end was changed to a ruggeder one (1 1/8 8 pinion). I think it’s a good deal. Its not a rust bucket! @ebinmaine

Runs and drives ok?

Have to see pics for sure but the transmission is worth $100-$150 just by itself.

So's the engine..

I think a 314 came from the factory with the 1-1/8" axles.....?