ebinmaine

My first hydro. Charger 12 project.

ebinmaine

Spent some time in the basement workshop today. A little organizing. Installed an industrial bench  grinder. 

And the work in this thread:

• Excellent 1

Pullstart

I like that valve position EB!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
On 12/24/2020 at 6:55 AM, ebinmaine said:

SURGING UP AND DOWN and I was reminded to check the set of the governor

I could use some input from you folks.

This engine surges and hunts up and down and something is not quite set right but I can't figure it out.

I believe I've set the governor arm correctly but you can remind me how to do that so I can make sure.

The linkage for the throttle and Governor has been braised and repaired in the past so it's highly possible the springs or linkages are not in the right holes. If anybody has any thoughts on that I'd appreciate it.

This carburetor was on the 1267 at one point and it ran great then but it  sat for a year or more so I took it off and soaked it and cleaned it out. Not saying I did it right the first time but it's basically doing exactly the same thing so I'm led to believe it may not be the carburetor that was the issue. Wasn't a waste of time because it was dirty and needed to be cleaned.

What can I be looking for here?

Pullstart

For governor adjustment, both the shaft and throttle linkage should be rotated CCW when standing in front of the tractor, that should hold wide open throttle.

I believe this is best done with the throttle cable disconnected, so you are achieving maximum travel of the linkage.

I LIKE TO (yell apparently) clamp a vice grips on the end of the shaft and let it hang to the side.  It’ll make it a two handed job to hold the throttle open and tighten the nut and bolt.

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, pullstart said:

LIKE TO (yell apparently) clamp a vice grips on the end of the shaft and let it hang to the side.  It’ll make it a two handed job to hold the throttle open and tighten the nut and bolt.

OKAY THANKS. Pretty sure that's about what I did but I'll double check it.

:ROTF:

• Haha 1

cschannuth
On 12/22/2019 at 9:03 AM, ebinmaine said:

10w30 I believe

So the old Charger hydro still uses ATF?

• Like 1

cschannuth
On 12/22/2019 at 9:56 AM, pfrederi said:

ear jamming.  7 mph forward 3.5 reverse much faster and much quicker going from forward to reverse.  And you Charger will have the 10 pinion limited slip differential.  (Lowell has the spring if you rs is bad.)

What is involved with changing this spring you speak of? I just reread the thread so I have a better understanding. 

Edited by cschannuth
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, cschannuth said:

What is involved with changing this spring you speak of? I just reread the thread so I have a better understanding. 

Split the transmission. 

Easy peasy. 

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, cschannuth said:

So the old Charger hydro still uses ATF?

Yessir

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wheel Horse 3D
On 12/22/2019 at 10:34 AM, ZXT said:

EDIT: If anyone knows the resistance values for these coils, let me know! I've been googling but I keep only coming up with Onan results.

Just watched somethin' on that here the other day, OL on the control side to ground, like 14k???? on the coil side to ground? It was a vid from the we save tractors guy.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Just watched somethin' on that here the other day, OL on the control side to ground, like 14k???? on the coil side to ground? It was a vid from the we save tractors guy.

Ended up getting a good one from @ZXT

Tractor is sort of up and running but I need to rebuild the carburetor and get some time on it.

I've sidelined the project while I get other stuff done.

• Like 2

Wheel Horse 3D
7 minutes ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Found it ...11k

• Like 2

pfrederi

4 hours ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Found it ...11k

If you have 11 k then the trigger is the most likely suspect they fail more than the coils..

coil.JPG

• Like 2

Lee1977
7 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Ended up getting a good one from @ZXT

Tractor is sort of up and running but I need to rebuild the carburetor and get some time on it.

I've sidelined the project while I get other stuff done.

You better get Trina's tractor running so she can put a paint job on it. Yours can wait, doesn't look like you will ever get yours finished anyway.

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

You better get Trina's tractor running so she can put a paint job on it. Yours can wait, doesn't look like you will ever get yours finished anyway.

The future Military Tribute tractor is still under a tarp under a foot of snow. Remember... March. Winter. Maine. 

Colossus will be done. All in due time. 

I've only got so much ache/pain tolerance per day and work takes priority, always. 

Patience boy. Patience. 

Lee1977

I herd they have snow shovel's up that way, at your limit of three shovels a day you should have it uncovered in a week or so.:ychain:

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Lee1977 said:

I herd they have snow shovel's up that way, at your limit of three shovels a day you should have it uncovered in a week or so.:ychain:

She likes to stay so busy. She can uncover it....

• Haha 1

Wheel Horse 3D
9 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

The future Military Tribute tractor is still under a tarp under a foot of snow. Remember... March. Winter. Maine. 

Colossus will be done. All in due time. 

I've only got so much ache/pain tolerance per day and work takes priority, always. 

Patience boy. Patience. 

Uggh... WORK! ewwwwww!

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
41 minutes ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Uggh... WORK! ewwwwww!

I believe that to be one of the most despicable four letter words

Wheel Horse 3D

Maynard G

Just now, ebinmaine said:

I believe that to be one of the most despicable four letter words

Maynard G Grebbes

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
51 minutes ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Maynard G

Maynard G Grebbes

Have to admit the name sounded familiar but I couldn't place it. Never did get to see that show.....

Wheel Horse 3D
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

Have to admit the name sounded familiar but I couldn't place it. Never did get to see that show.....

Only thing I remember is his squeaky, wonky "WHEEEEERK!!!!"

ebinmaine

I've been wanting to get some work/drive time on the Charger hydro so I could get used to it.

Figured I'd get her back up n cooking and go from there. 

I dropped the bowl off the carb. 

Nice layer of fine brown rusty silt in there. 

I added a filter in line to accompany the intank screen. 

Popped the carb off and cleaned it up again. 

Put everything back together. 

Got it started but it was NOT HAPPY. 

Choke.  Sputter. Cough. Bang.  Backfire. 

So I shut it down and rechecked my initial carb screw settings. 

Started and ran but was ROUGH. 

Fiddled with the settings more and it got a touch better. Not there. 

Let it run a few (like crap) to be sure it was hot. Then held the throttle mostly open. 

That action apparently cleared out some small piece of... Stuff. 

Ran better. Still doing the hunt and surge. 

So I went back and adjusted the governor following the @pullstart procedure.  

Now she's doing fairly well. 

Next up will be to change the tie rods and drive it some....

IMG_20210501_145009507.jpg

IMG_20210501_145003329.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Well I never really did get this tractor going quite right. The engine being a little temperamental is probably something I could solve okay but the fact of the matter is everything else is loose. Every joint you could imagine. Every point of contact you can think of. The hood shakes so bad it rattled the 1/4" thick felt right out from between it and the steering tower in just a few minutes.

Then there's the fact that the transmission housing was scored and damaged significantly because of the previous owner leaving the hubs so loose for such a long time. I put new seals in it all the way around but it still leaked like a colander and there's no way for me to solve that.

I had pretty much decided to sideline this project back in June or July of this past year and then in August I got the opportunity to procure my 1975 C160 Automatic.

I've just finished disassembling this tractor and I'm going to use it for parts for others.

I learned a lot messing around with this thing and I'm glad I did it. None of the parts and supplies that I've put into this thing will be wasted except maybe the transmission fluid so there's no real financial loss there.

The wiring harness in its entirety is very likely going to be put right into one of my 1974 C160 Tecumseh engine tractors. 

I'll see how the C160 Automatic goes for a bit. If that works out as good as I hope it will then maybe it will end up with the limited slip differential out of this Charger.

@OldWorkHorse Steve is going to be the new steward of much of it and he'll use it for building something, I'm sure.

IMG_20211127_134345184_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211127_134359477_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211127_134406675_HDR.jpg

• Like 2