ebinmaine

My first hydro. Charger 12 project.

Stepney

Trans had fluid in it when I had looked. I'd drain it before attempting to drive and change the filter. Who knows how long it's been sitting. 25+ years is what the PO told me. 

• Thanks 1

The Tuul Crib

I myself have recently just picked up two charger 10s of course the motors are toast but the bones of the tractor are all good and intact! I myself can't wait to get a motor on these to get them 

moving once again ! Looks good Eric!

• Like 3

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:            Unfortunately you don't have the hydraulic lift system, that is the real pleasure of snow plowing with a hydro.

• Like 6

ebinmaine
Just now, 953 nut said:

:text-coolphotos:            Unfortunately you don't have the hydraulic lift system, that is the real pleasure of snow plowing with a hydro.

No worries.

I'll still get an arm workout.

Or add a lift...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Stepney
3 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

No worries.

I'll still get an arm workout.

Or add a lift...

I still have all the bits off my Charger 9 hydro lift if it ever comes to that. Lowell sells new hoses too. 

Meant to tell you earlier but it just clicked now. 

Edited by Stepney
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The Tuul Crib

A while back when I parted out a 520 H I kept the lift valve and the control with the hoses. There has to be a way to retro fit these to custom fit the charger 10 correct?

• Like 1

JCM

I can't believe what I am seeing, I hope I'm in line for a test run on that someday, your left leg will have to find something else to do now. Best of luck with it, stay in touch.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Stepney said:

I still have all the bits off my Charger 9 hydro lift if it ever comes to that. Lowell sells new hoses too. 

Meant to tell you earlier but it just clicked now. 

Set em aside for me sir.

Let's see how to pop those on.

• Heart 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, The Tool Crib said:

A while back when I parted out a 520 H I kept the lift valve and the control with the hoses. There has to be a way to retro fit these to custom fit the charger 10 correct?

Haven't the foggiest but I'd be up for trying...

1 hour ago, JCM said:

I can't believe what I am seeing, I hope I'm in line for a test run on that someday, your left leg will have to find something else to do now. Best of luck with it, stay in touch.

Thanks Jim.

You're absolutely in line!!!

• Like 1

rjg854

That would take all the adventure and fun out of plowing snow, Ed :banana-skier:

• Haha 2

MikMacMike
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I've been thinking about picking up a hydro of some sort for at least a year.

I'm curious to see what it's like to plow snow with one.

This one was found by @Stepney Spenser.

IMG_20191221_154652799_HDR.jpg.abb7dbc26806561daa95c6b2e3e908fd.jpg

Near as he can figure it's a 1970 model year.

It needs a changeover from a bad module to a Points ignition system.

From there some wiring and a test drive to see how the transmission performs.

If all goes well up til then I'll take apart the transmission and change axles and hubs on both sides. 

Then see where we go.....

IMG_20191221_154707751.jpg.8d7c03020f05999fe1585d742e9f1c90.jpg

Its very quick with the hydro, I think there about 1/2 a mile n hour faster too at top speed.

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

This guy is a sucker for hydros...especially early model Sundstrands.

4722B126-34FA-4E93-AB6E-6E7E102B7557.jpeg.d42b5e735f931597b640469a1fe23b89.jpeg

We beat the snot out of ours for 30 years  and it has gone through two restorations yet the hydro is original!

174CB27D-B92A-44EC-9AC0-3F4D032E6C2B.jpeg.cca02b91182944152f0de8f02829ffdc.jpeg

I can’t wait to follow along and see what you think of this tractor once you have it fully functional.

466B78DB-7F9F-402E-9E82-BCB306414444.jpeg.cad2dea3df1d4aa9554bec8a5e4e4f99.jpeg

I definitely think that you should upgrade to hydraulic lift since guys are offering you the parts.  That would really be the “icing on the cake”!  I like my GD tractors but I also like my Hydros...I don’t mind having some of each in our stable👍🏻

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

rjg854

I wasn't sure about a hydro when I first got my 877 for working in the snow, because I thought the job the 68 Commando did was great.  Once you start with a hydro you find it's so much nicer and a lot quicker compared to the manual, not having to shift and try to find gears.  I'd swear it's cut a half hour off my plowing time.  I've got a rather large circular driveway that connects the house, barn and the horse shed, then a 1/4 mile driveway.  

with the Commando it took about an hour and a half depending on the amount of snow.  The last couple of storms it's only been about an hour.  And they have been fairly decent storms.  Seems as though the 877 is faster, at least the snow rolls of the blade nicer.  Might also have a bit to do with putting on a 48" blade instead of the 42" the Commando had.  Although it's only a 6" difference.  Give it a try though, I'm sure you'll be pleased with the outcome as long as thee tranny is in good shape.  I may even try to find another one :D

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Retired Wrencher

Eric I always found with hydro`s if you have room for them there ok. Meaning if you do not have to move them. I am a stick man my self I think you are your self being gear jammer. Enjoy the project if you get it.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

not having to shift

That the part that interests me.

We have a fairly large area to plow. 

Back. Forth. Back. Forth. Back. Forth. 

I have no idea how many times.....

I'd like to get better life from a belt. That's a lot of slipping and wearing the belt down.

I'd also not mind if I didn't have to reach down and shift sooooooooooo many times.

Speed isn't a factor for us because the surfaces are VERY rough. Mixed between different gravel sizes, stone etc..

I plow at 3/4 throttle in second and reverse.

If we have a season that's colder than normal we can sort of use the ice to smooth out the drive a bit. Then I can go faster.

• Like 5

ebinmaine
Just now, Retierd Wrencher said:

Eric I always found with hydro`s if you have room for them there ok. Meaning if you do not have to move them. I am a stick man my self I think you are your self being gear jammer. Enjoy the project if you get it.

Yeah Trina and I only have manual transmissions until this one.

We'll make room in the herd if I like the way it goes.

It would only be used to plow so that would stay mounted year round and be used for both snow and dirt.

Retired Wrencher

I hope you like it. And enjoy the project.

• Thanks 1

953 nut
6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

have a fairly large area to plow. 

Clear an area at the center and then go round and round in ever increasing concentric circles.   :ychain:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, 953 nut said:

Clear an area at the center and then go round and round in ever increasing concentric circles.   :ychain:

I do kinda do that to some extent.

Thing is.... Nearly ALL the snow has to be piled in one place or we'll get buried in by late winter.

I can't just push off to the side everywhere.

That would be MUCH easier.

• Haha 1

AHS

That’s pretty good to have the original coil! My 1970 already has points and the round coil. That must have not been used much!👍

• Like 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, AHS said:

That’s pretty good to have the original coil! My 1970 already has points and the round coil. That must have not been used much!👍

It's there but not functioning.

Cracked top has let in water and become rusted.

I have the parts to change over to a Points ignition.

The machine in general does likely have low hours considering the length of the time it was unused.

• Like 2

oliver2-44

Congratulations, nice Charger

In your cold area it will be interesting to see if you need a magnetic block heater on the transmission

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stepney
1 minute ago, oliver2-44 said:

In your cold area it will be interesting to see if you need a magnetic block heater on the transmission

I have a pair of autos I keep running in the winter, one with an Eaton 11 and one with an old ATF sundstrand like this one. The Eaton takes a solid 5 minutes before it'll consider moving. My '68 will lift and drive as soon as the engine is running. Maybe it's the thinner oil? 

• Like 2