pfrederi

Snow Plowing Speed "Speed is Good"

pfrederi

Had about 6 inches of snow today so it was plow day no blowing required.  fired up the Charger 12 and went to work.  Didn't get much seat time only took a bout 35 minutes (see pics in the show me your snow machine thread).  Running up and down the drive way I have to plow to one side after the first pass at full throttle full speed...she rolled the snow off beautifully.  Now I know there are a lot of opinions about "best" plow tractors.  Gear drives  400 series 520's but to paraphrase Gordon Gekko (Wall street) SPEED is good.  I know most like Etons over Sunstrands but look at the top speed difference between a Charger and a 520. Now seat time is good but sometimes getting the job done and going inside for a hot toddy is better.  Besides it rolls the  snow over better .  Gear drives with their low top speed and slooow reverse are not in consideration. Also note the similarity in weight  (I always thought 520 were heavy...  )  When it comes to plowing horse power is not terribly relevant unless it can drive more speed traction is the limiting issue.

First pic is 520 second is Charger.12

Let the disagreements begin....:P

520.JPG

Charger.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 6

Sparky

I always plow in 3rd gear high range when I know that there is nothing to hit. I agree that it rolls the snow off the blade better with speed. My GT 1600/8 speed ain’t to fast, since it’s a dedicated plow machine I have considered upping the drive pulley from 4” to 5”.

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

I too plow in 3rd gear high range. Driveways are long and paved so no worries. I don't know what my 312-8's speed would be.

• Like 1

Herder

I put this little beast In 2nd or 3rd gear and let it rip, it rolled the snow right off the plow.  Todays snowfall was mostly sleet and was a bit rough on the snow thrower.  To heavy. :auto-layrubber:

IMG_1360.JPG.ec0991c70e78fcd790146668dddbf10f.JPGIMG_1365.JPG.0aa23483797c00f4e293f35e5cb4de97.JPG

• Like 2

JCM

@Wishin4a416    Speeds for a 1989 312-8 are as follows     Low Range    1st   .4   2nd  .6  3rd  1.1  rev  .5      High Range    1st  1.6   2nd  2.5  3rd  4.3  rev  2.1  MPH   According to the original owners manual.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

tom2p

455E861D-73C8-462E-8F1B-8C1A975B7CBC.png

• Like 1

tom2p

note the pic above 

manual trans speed 3rd gear / high range:  5.5 mph 

400 series hydro: 7 mph 

so I don't how / why a 520-H top speed is 5 mph - when a 400 hydro is 7 mph 

Edited by tom2p

ebinmaine

I normally plow in second gear at about 3/4 throttle.

I'd go faster but our gravel drive is too rough and I'm not fond of forcefully removing the plow from tractor by that method.

Later in the season but before Mudd I can speed up a bit.

• Haha 1

JCM

@tom2p     I  see the speeds are different than my 312, do you know what year that chart pertains to.

tom2p
18 minutes ago, JCM said:

@tom2p     I  see the speeds are different than my 312, do you know what year that chart pertains to.

hmmm ... what years did they use the Kohler in the 400 series ... ?

tom2p

8DC5D5CA-F4F8-49AE-8C75-632B39D58D81.png

tom2p

pic above is from the toro site 

manual for 94 416-H

top speed 5.6 mph 

Edited by tom2p

lynnmor

Didn't some government or ANSI standard kick in and limit top speeds about 1990?  I believe I read that years ago.

• Like 1

tom2p

so Kohler/Sundstrand powered/motivated is the way to go ... ???

Edited by tom2p

tom2p
1 minute ago, lynnmor said:

Didn't some government or ANSI standard kick in and limit top speeds about 1990?  I believe I read that years ago.

very likely 

• Like 1

JCM

My 1991 Operators Manual  Quotes approximate Forward variable 0- to 5.6  and reverse   0-3.4      MPH     This is for a 520 - H. Don't quote me on this but I believe Kohlers were used on the 400 series in 1985   6   7  and newer were 16 h.p Onans but Someone with more knowledge on that question will chime in. This is off the top of my head and seems to diminish the older I get.

• Like 2

tom2p

maybe the quickest and least expensive way to gain more speed is to pump up those rear tires 

way up  lol

• Haha 3

JCM

It's ether that or have @ebinmaine   figure a way to mount a bottle of Nitrous oxide on a WH tractor?

• Haha 2

Pullstart
11 minutes ago, tom2p said:

maybe the quickest and least expensive way to gain more speed is to pump up those rear tires 

way up  lol

I wonder what Frank’s overall top speed is?  10 hp, Sunstrand, big wheels and tires, stock pulley configuration!  Maybe with the hydraulic lift, I should put my plow on him for a couple rounds with the white stuff!

CF811DB4-0BB4-463B-A9E1-3973018F7CD2.jpeg

49A2066E-4BAF-4A85-BEE9-A934443DC035.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

C 105 Manual 10 hp - Second Gear Wide Open...never any issues.

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

tom2p
2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

I know most like Etons over Sunstrands but look at the top speed difference between a Charger and a 520.

Is this the case ?

back in the late 70's / early 80's I had a summer job at a hydraulics and pneumatics distributor 

at that time Sundstrand was considered to be the best ; the 'Cadillac'

construction equipment (including a zillion cement trucks ; pump typically in the front of the rad and motor back near the drum )

underground mining equipment 

paving equipment (including the 'Roto Mill' milling machines)

heavy manufacturing equipment 

etc

Edited by tom2p

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, JCM said:

It's ether that or have @ebinmaine   figure a way to mount a bottle of Nitrous oxide on a WH tractor?

Rough sketch...

Screenshot_20191202-200355.png.ff7d071ff5a3070d7b1b5ff19e609ee2.png

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

JCM

Boy your'e quick,didn't have to put to much engineering into that application.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, JCM said:

Boy your'e quick,didn't have to put to much engineering into that application.

It's only a single cylinder one bbl carb.

Easy peasy....

Mostly.

• Like 1

formariz

@pfrederi

When plowing speed is definitely king. I found that to be absolutely correct while plowing my neighbors 1/4 mile driveway at a steep incline over the years. Used to plow it with his C series in third gear. Then started using my Electro to do it. Going up hill Electro is much faster rolling snow off plow much easier. Then going downhill I actually have to hold it back since it will go twice as fast as uphill. Downhill snow just literally flies off plow. I do it the same way as you do. First pass with plow to side full throttle and speed at center of driveway, then up and down on opposite sides so I don't have to turn blade. This thing is absolutely unstoppable. So many time guys driving by with plow trucks just stop and watch me plowing it giving me the thumbs up.

• Like 5