JoeM

Do you have a Favorite Screwdriver?

JoeM

I have had this screwdriver for at least 20 years, I think it came from a set that my Dad used. It seems to be my go to tool. I use it for everything, from mixing paint, to removing seals, and of course turning screws.

I think I would be lost without it!

578451817_ScrewDriver1.jpg.2e53b33ba11484e1f6bc0242b40637fa.jpg

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

Mickwhitt

Favourite screwdriver? Not sure I could pick a screwdriver as my favourite tool. I have so many tools I see as essential rather than a favourite. 

But if I had to pick a current favourite it would be this little pocket box. 

20191110_095203.jpg.089a834fde5190f62d9d35a9d7f1da92.jpg

It functions as a socket set and screwdriver set. It's so well designed and thought out. I use it all the time.

Mick

• Like 1

953 nut

For me it would have to be the Ryobi cordless impact driver!

Image result for ryobi impact driver

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, MrOiluj52 said:

turning screws

Say what??!!??

I have to admit I'm right there with @953 nut on the impact driver.

I have a Rigid brand.

Trina and I both use it OFTEN.

I do have a particular set of screwdrivers that I like more than the others.

• Like 1

squonk
7 hours ago, MrOiluj52 said:

I have had this screwdriver for at least 20 years, I think it came from a set that my Dad used. It seems to be my go to tool. I use it for everything, from mixing paint, to removing seals, and of course turning screws.

I think I would be lost without it!

578451817_ScrewDriver1.jpg.2e53b33ba11484e1f6bc0242b40637fa.jpg

What no chisel? 

• Like 1

rmaynard

Unfortunately, most of my favorite screwdrivers are long gone. When I was in the office equipment business we only used high quality tools, and most of them were metric to fit the Asian screws used in imported machines. Most came from Ames Tools. Of what I did keep, many are gone, what with a son and grandsons who find other tasks for them. But I will say that I still have some screwdrivers that I bought from Western Auto in the 1960's that are still as good today as they were when new. As a matter of fact, while excavating a place for my new Wheel Horse barn (oops, I may have let the cat out of the bag), I unearthed my beloved Western Auto BIG screwdriver. Has to have been buried there since my son (now 44) was playing in the woods in the 1980's.

12_sd.jpg.8fc72dd12238a7514bf0137f8d61eb92.jpg

• Like 5

squonk
57 minutes ago, cafoose said:

@Sarge sold me on the vessel screwdrivers. I got a set from amazon and I love them :banana-wrench:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=vessel+screwdriver&crid=32EF50PH5LZAL&sprefix=vessel+scr%2Caps%2C158&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_10

Here is an excellent thread on tools:

The Vessel screwdrivers are good. I bought a Phillips head Impacta model mainly for working on kitchen equipment. I snapped the tip right off of it though.

ZXT
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I have to admit I'm right there with @953 nut on the impact driver.

I have a Rigid brand.

Trina and I both use it OFTEN.

:text-yeahthat: My Ridgid 1/4" impact gets more use at work than just about any of my tools. A buddy of mine purchased one of Ridgid's 1/2" impacts and it is excellent. Far better than any air impact I own. I'll be buying one for myself soon. 

58 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

I unearthed my beloved Western Auto BIG screwdriver. Has to have been buried there since my son (now 44) was playing in the woods in the 1980's.

How is the wood handle not rotted off yet? Amazing. I killed a Western Auto screwdriver when I was a kid - I learned quick not to use a wood handled screwdriver as a chisel.. Splits the handle in half! I have picked up a few at garage and estate sales over the past few years.

I lost my favorite flat head screwdriver a while back. It was a no-name brand, but I used it as a chisel, a pry bar, and of course for turning screws. It'll probably turn up someday; I'm sure It's probably lying in the dirt around the house somewhere.

My current favorite screwdriver is my 1/4" cabinet tip Klein. Seems it'll bite into any almost rounded off screw. I use it at home as much as I do at work. 

WHX??

Looks like a keeper Julio... that old and tip not gone. 

Lee1977

Here is my favorite s. crew driver. Don't know who made them, They are made in the USA, but all have different names on them. They are straight and Phillips reversible, keep one in every tool box, and in the kitchen drawer. I think I have four couldn't find the other one.

SAM-1092.jpg

rmaynard
1 hour ago, ZXT said:

How is the wood handle not rotted off yet? 

It's not wood. It's plastic (covered in mud). :thumbs:

• Haha 2

JoeM
9 hours ago, WHX24 said:

that old and tip not gone

I broke it off today prying the axle seal out of a hydro. :(

I did touch it up at the grinder and that thing is pretty good steel.

• Like 1

adsm08

My favorite screw driver is a shorter, older Craftsman flat blade with the last 1/4 inch of the tip busted off. I've used it for everything except screws for years.

My favorite tool is an old, cheap, wooden baseball bat. I use it for getting wheels unstuck. I prefer it over a hammer, even a dead-blow, because it can hit the wheel without causing damage, I can control it better on the recoil if I hit the tire instead of the wheel, and I can put more power into the swing with more accuracy.

• Like 2

ClassicTractorProfessor

I don't have a favorite screwdriver, but I do have my "lucky" wrench. It's an old Sears 7/16" that was the first wrench I ever owned. I figure I was probably around 5 when Dad gave it to me, used to carry it around in my Power Wheels Jeep I had as a kid. I probably have at least 6 wrenches in that size at the shop, but that particular one is always the one I grab. 

• Like 1

ZXT
11 hours ago, rmaynard said:

Well that would explain it! The Western Auto ones I have are wood handled. Probably older?

WHX??
15 hours ago, MrOiluj52 said:

I broke it off today

:text-imsorry: I jinxed ya

Andy N.

I've had this Snap-On ratcheting set for over 20 years in my work toolbox. They definitely get used the most and are my favorites.

Although I do like @AMC RULES favorite as well. I've probably had one like that even longer.

Screwdrivers.JPG

• Like 1

Lee1977
On 11/10/2019 at 11:39 AM, rmaynard said:

Here is what it is suppose to look like. I bought these in 1962.

SAM-1097.jpg

tom2p

for the Vessel screwdriver users - is there a Vessel model or models you prefer ?

tom2p

I think Santa is dropping off some vessel screwdrivers for me ... JIS ... for working on Japanese motorcycles ... electronics ... etc  

one of my kids will get new screwdriver set from Santa  ...  that is good news - less chance my old craftsman professional screwdrivers will disappear 

Edited by tom2p