Pullstart

Horsey Hallway

WHX??

You got way too many toys Kev.... Naaawww life's too short and banks got plenty of money I hear tell. :lol:

• Haha 7

ZXT

Man, do I envy you! I don't have a place to work on my Horses... let alone store them! Looks like you have a good plan for the future.. The more racks you build, the more Horses you can store! Nicely done!

Edited by ZXT
  • Thanks 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

Lord, how big is your cotton picking building ?

• Haha 3

Achto
19 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Lord, how big is your cotton picking building ?

I would venture to say that it is about 1/2 as big as it should be.:lol:

• Haha 5
  • Heart 1

WHX??

I'm thinkin 1/8 Dan! :lol:

• Haha 4

The Tuul Crib

wow nice collection Kevin !! 

Theres no  addictions here right??

:ROTF:

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

It’s 40x80 with 16’ sidewalls.  We really lucked out putting a lot of sweat equity into our old home, then finding this place in a cheaper county.  The house is another fixer upper, but the property is awesome!

Some day the floors will have room to navigate without tripping over things!  Who am I kidding, more stuff will just show up to keep inside!  :ROTF:

Addicted?  That sort of sounds like a bad thing...  Too many toys?  That’s the product of working to support fun habits and creating a business that benefits from (fun) work tools (toys)!

08C0B3CB-CF88-49AF-B231-CD2D58406073.jpeg

F76B8517-7016-4294-9F43-FEC28061A8B2.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Great storage area. 

Glenn

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

WOW

• Haha 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, pullstart said:

Some day the floors will have room to navigate without tripping over things!  Who am I kidding, more stuff will just show up to keep inside!

Got more potential storage up in the trusses too!             image.jpeg.814a479f72c8b90e07a439523904ca1c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Sparky

Awesome storage/workshop!! 

• Thanks 1

Achto
10 hours ago, pullstart said:

08C0B3CB-CF88-49AF-B231-CD2D58406073.jpeg

I just noticed the rather interesting construction on you pole building. I'm used to seeing roof trusses for a pole building set 8 or 9ft on center, yours look to be 2ft on center. I also notice OSB sheeting on top of the trusses, where normally there would be 2x4's and sheet metal. Does you shop have a shingled roof or did they use steel?

• Like 1

Pullstart

@Achto I am pretty sure trusses are standard 2’ on center here, maybe a different snow load calculation?  This is finished with shingles.  I wish it was all steel, but I couldn’t build a shop this big at my previous place compared to the difference of what we paid for this place... so I’m alright with shingles for the time being!

• Like 2

Achto
40 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I am pretty sure trusses are standard 2’ on center here, maybe a different snow load calculation?  This is finished with shingles.

Interesting. Conventional construction is also 2' on center here. Pole buildings are 9ft. Nothing wrong with the sys they used, it looks stronger. I wonder if the roof sys actually hinged more on the builders choice to put a shingled roof on instead of steel??:confusion-confused:

The picture below shows the roof sys that I am accustom to seeing inside of a pole building. 

truss-2-1024x768.jpg.ff4226c9fd0bacc643a0acf6e3b93735.jpg

Edited by Achto

Pullstart

Maybe it has to do with the 40’ span?  I am not an engineer, but I’m glad they spec some things like this once in a while!

• Like 1

WHX??
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Got more potential storage up in the trusses too!             image.jpeg.814a479f72c8b90e07a439523904ca1c.jpeg

Yah Richard if yer the jolly green giant! :lol:

Now that is just bizarre I don't think I've ever saw a pole shed with a shingled roof or 2 ft trusses. When I built my warehouse trusses are 9 ft oc but designed for the snow load at that distance. Just heavier lumber in them. Mine span 45 ft. 

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

1 hour ago, Achto said:

I also notice OSB sheeting on top of the trusses, where normally there would be 2x4's and sheet metal.

My shop has 2' oc trusses, 5/8 plywood, half lapped #30 felt paper and a metal roof. If you don't insulate the bottom of a metal roof as pictured above it will form condensation on the underside of the roofing when the building is heated, :scared-eek: raining indoors ain't cool.

• Like 2

Achto
5 hours ago, 953 nut said:

If you don't insulate the bottom of a metal roof as pictured above it will form condensation on the underside of the roofing when the building is heated

A insulated finished ceiling & proper attic ventilation will cure that issue. :thumbs2: 

• Like 4

PeacemakerJack

You definitely don’t need to apologize for that roof system Kevin.  Someone went to A LOT of extra expense to build that like that.

For instance, (everyone who doesn’t want a math lesson—skip to the next post😁)

you have 41 trusses with the gable ends as opposed to 11 with an 8’ span.  Even if the 11 were extra heavy duty, you still have three times more cost in trusses...at Least. I’m going to estimate an extra $6000 Then roof sheeting...assuming that it is 1/2” OSB, also assuming that you have a 4/12 pitch on that roof-eave to peak should be about 24-25’ depending on overhang.  That means you have about 

2,000 sq ft of roof on each side which means about 60 sheets of OSB per side, which at current prices is around $1200 for the whole roof.  Shingles and trim would set you back about $5000. 

In the end the builder/customer would spend about twice what that roof would be in standard pole barn layout. Based on a quicj check—steel and trim would be $6000 and purlins another $500. Trusses spread to 8’ with purlins and steel directly applied.  These are all approximate numbers with no labor but the point is...it would be interesting to know what the original intention or spending the extra expense for conventional framed roof.  Pole barn roofs abound in the Midwest and are plenty durable but it is interesting that you have a conventional framed style.  

Very cool shed though kevin with TONS of space but I guess you will eventually find a way to fill it😁

I’ll be quiet now and get back to work...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

I think this was a pre-packaged kit from a local lumber supply and as of last year I believe it was 7 years old.  Fun fact, in that 7 years, the supply lost had doubled in price from the same supplier!  

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

Why haven't you filled it yet, you have lived there long enough.:ROTF:

• Haha 3

rjg854

We're just finishing our 2nd pole barn that have their trusses 2' on center and shingled  roofs. If they are heated buildings, 9 times out of ten they would have shingled roofs in my area.  Plain storage buildings would have steel roofs, and  trusses 4' on center.  There is one maker of pole barns, that builds 9' centers.

• Like 1

adsm08
11 hours ago, 953 nut said:

My shop has 2' oc trusses, 5/8 plywood, half lapped #30 felt paper and a metal roof. If you don't insulate the bottom of a metal roof as pictured above it will form condensation on the underside of the roofing when the building is heated, :scared-eek: raining indoors ain't cool.

It isn't just metal.

Last winter I was putting wheel bearings in a Civic in my garage, with a wood and shingle roof, when I had an indoor cloud burst while the wood stove was burning.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

WHX??

I have the indoor rain once in a great while in mine. Not real often as conditions need to be just right. Make sure the table saw is oiled and

covered!  Out in the open lean to part it happens quite often. I should have put a barrier down before the roof steel.

Now they use thin 1/4 foam type underlayment or roof steel coated on the underside with a felt like material to keep this

indoor rain from happening. :)

Actually Richard that's not a bad idea about storage up there. Gotta be a ton of room up there in the center even with say a 4/12 pitch roof.                                    I'll have to get a pic of what I did.

Can't quite tell from the pics but what do they do to carry the trusses between the posts @PeacemakerJack ? Gotta be an LVL or stack of 2x's edge wise on top the posts???

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1