dells68

Been distracted lately

Pullstart

Nice to see ya back on here Dell, I thought maybe your class had you tied up in a supply closet!

I’m glad that Emory has another interest in the things that make you grin, that always makes the shows just that much more enjoyable!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

dells68

Thanks Kev.  He really has seemed to enjoy it.  We were going to another large east coast VW show and drags with the car last weekend and Emory woke up sick Sunday morning.  He still wanted to go, so we just rode over for a little while to let him look around for a little while.  Now, he says he wants a Baja bug.  Might just see another project in our future in a couple of years!

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

You get too tied up with this nonsense Dells maybe we just come get some tractors....:ph34r:

• Haha 4

ZXT

Man, what made you let it sit idle for 7 years? Seems far too nice of a car to do that with! Glad you got it up and running and made some memories. 

By the way, what brand of battery is in it and when was it made? 7 years is a long time for a battery to sit! 

• Like 2

Jennifer

@dell68. You have a heart of gold!  Emory is clearly blessing you as you do him!!  Your both very luck to have each other!!!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Nice VW ,

drove one in my Military time for few Day‘s, unbelievable where this simple car gets through.

Not to much power, not to much weight, a perfect ratio.

Can be compared to a Wheelhorse, build to work, simple and reliable.

• Like 6

Stormin

That's one very nice VW. I don't think I've ever seen one like that in the UK. Looks a modern version of the '40's Kubelwagen and not as ugly. :thumbs:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

WVHillbilly520H

My step daughter wants a "Thing" and there's a fella back home in WV that has at least 3 from what I can remember, Sweet looking ride you have there... Sometimes you Good a tinker with the big toys even though the little ones are cheaper... And I just pulled a 10 year old (10/09) Advance Auto battery out of my '06 Silverado because it wouldn't hold a charge anymore.    ....................................................... Sorry my bad it was 11/10, a 9 year old battery but sorta impressive nonetheless 

20190829_181826.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 4

PeacemakerJack

I’m so glad to hear that you guys are doing well Dells and hanging in there!  That VDub is really cool and it is sweet that you and Emory can enjoy it together.  That is one of my favorite things these days about my GTO is spending time in it with my Kiddos...

You mentioned some accessories that you were accumulating for your car—what are those?  

Thanks for sharing that cool little vehicle and updating us!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Let me know, if you need som stuff, hard to find.

I will keep my eye‘s open for things you need on local auctions and Garage Markets here surround me.

Some older Stuff from past (70ies and erlier) are hard to get and sometimes they handle it like Gold.

I had a few Fella‘s they collecting some Stuff, maybe i can release it for fairly prices.

If it was not to heavy, i maybe can bring it next year to the Big Show.

There was 2 pieces of Antenna‘s, wich you mean, the XXl one for Shortwave or the smaller, witch can be used in 2 meter‘s.

the last one i have here at my Side originally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
14 hours ago, dells68 said:

Thanks Kev.  He really has seemed to enjoy it.  We were going to another large east coast VW show and drags with the car last weekend and Emory woke up sick Sunday morning.  He still wanted to go, so we just rode over for a little while to let him look around for a little while.  Now, he says he wants a Baja bug.  Might just see another project in our future in a couple of years!

I’m all for some off-road VW action!  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

dells68

@pullstart, you didn’t realize how much have in common did you?!  I think we were meant to be brothers!😂🤣😂

• Excellent 1

Pullstart

Shorts and boots, brother!  Shorts and boots!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

dells68

Rockin’ it buddy!  I look the same no matter where I am!  I keep trying to talk myself out of coming up there for a ride next summer!

• Excellent 1

Pullstart

Give me about a 6 month warning, I need to wrangle up another buggy engine.. somehow I hurt this one :ROTF:

Otherwise, I’d be glad to take video while you and Emory tear it up!

• Excellent 3

ZXT
11 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

My step daughter wants a "Thing" and there's a fella back home in WV that has at least 3 from what I can remember, Sweet looking ride you have there... Sometimes you Good a tinker with the big toys even though the little ones are cheaper... And I just pulled a 10 year old (10/09) Advance Auto battery out of my '06 Silverado because it wouldn't hold a charge anymore.    ....................................................... Sorry my bad it was 11/10, a 9 year old battery but sorta impressive nonetheless 

We've had multiple batteries to last over 10 years, the oldest being 18 when it died. All different brands, but we seem to have had more old Duralast and EverStart batteries than other brands. The worst typically being SuperStart, Interstate, and Die Hard. 

The battery (a Duralast from Autozone) on my dad's 68 Ghia convertible died last year - I remember buying that battery from a scrap yard I went to frequently when I was about 10. It was made in Jan of 2001. 17 years isn't too bad. Had one on the Chevelle last from 94 to 2012, also a Duralast. 

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
20 minutes ago, ZXT said:

We've had multiple batteries to last over 10 years, the oldest being 18 when it died. All different brands, but we seem to have had more old Duralast and EverStart batteries than other brands. The worst typically being SuperStart, Interstate, and Die Hard. 

The battery (a Duralast from Autozone) on my dad's 68 Ghia convertible died last year - I remember buying that battery from a scrap yard I went to frequently when I was about 10. It was made in Jan of 2001. 17 years isn't too bad. Had one on the Chevelle last from 94 to 2012, also a Duralast. 

The Duralast L&G batteries seem to last the longest in my 520s... Believe I got 7 years out of the first one.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

Seems I saw not too long ago that if you have a high enough voltage(?) Charger with enough amps available, you can cook the buildup on the plates of a lead acid battery off to “restore” an old and gone battery.  It takes a bit of work, in stages, but you can bring essentially any battery back from too far gone with time and patience on your side...

• Like 1

dells68
On 10/25/2019 at 10:10 AM, Tractorhead said:

Let me know, if you need som stuff, hard to find.

I will keep my eye‘s open for things you need on local auctions and Garage Markets here surround me.

Thanks @Tractorhead!  I am looking for a few items I haven’t been able to source or get shipped from Germany after I found them - no shipping to US from eBay.de with some sellers.  I’ll send you a pm later.

Well, I got my antenna mounted today for the SEM 25 radio.  I also mounted my amber beacon beside the windshield.  I’ve had some tubing from when I first built my roll bar years ago.  I meant to make a set of rocker rails to help hide the 2” body lift I made.  What do you guys think?  Will it look better with the rock rail painted black or leave it as it is?  Opinions appreciated!!

9B0DC09A-C0A8-455F-8F81-D05387CA947A.jpeg

3925D696-8525-427E-9057-D20FC0C5C165.jpeg

4474A90E-BBB9-4192-8E82-DAEA6F3C12EF.jpeg

ADAC64BF-2D79-4029-B224-CBD767EA78B3.jpeg

• Like 3

Pullstart

That rail is quite appealing to the eye!  I vote black paint like other accessories on the exterior :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 2

Tractorhead

When i see this beautiful looking car, my heart gona melting.

it is a „ must“  for me, to see the rail in Black.

It integrates completely into the Car and look more Original.

optional in the same green, but i found that in black, it „ lifts“ optical the Car bit up

Chrome was a absolute „nogo“ at this car.

The only things in chrome they can be happen, are the mirrors and the wheelcaps.

• Thanks 1

Stormin

Black here! :thumbs:

• Thanks 1

dells68

Finally got my bars welded up and mounted.  I’m pretty tickled with the look - matches other accessories and hides the 2” body lift.  Still waiting on a few German military parts to arrive.  Now Emory has his eye on our next tractor project.  He wants to do a military themed horse.  I thought about my D160 since it has to be repainted all over, but I have a nice set of Terry’s decals and really wanted it to look original.  What do you guys think?  I’ll be posting this up in the restorations thread for feedback.  Have a good one tomorrow and get out and vote!!

4004F5C4-50BE-4976-A64C-9397F64950A0.jpeg

7DA11701-9109-4D98-B5D1-4F57C3D02D8B.jpeg

9DDB7B27-FE2C-4DDE-BFD7-98DD220D4E5F.jpeg

DACBE66F-49C6-4EBF-986F-1E332FD41FA5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1