Mickwhitt

My Wheelhorse Project

MikMacMike
On 11/15/2019 at 1:59 PM, Mickwhitt said:

Shot blasting is our generic term for cleaning metal but firing media at it using compressed air. Not sure if there are stress relieving aspects to it.

20191115_153728.jpg.2fad33f3867512f37ac49cb6f5f52c70.jpg

The bonnet looks good and I will put it to one side till it's time to paint it.

I've painted the underside of the seat tray in black gloss as a corrosion protection measure.

I will be painting the upper side when its fitted.

Lots more rain here today so floods are all round us. 

Mick 

Oh dang your as bad as me......you brought the mare to bed wit ya hehehehehe. Shes lookin sweet.

Mickwhitt

Yep mike, if I could get her in the house I would do.

First outing today in the driveway, all seems good with the new wheels and hubs at the front. 

Got to make a PTO brake as that bit is missing. Not a big job.

Just chatting with an exhaust fabricator to see if I will need to sell a kidney to get a shiny new muffler. 

20191219_122952.jpg.2ac54c86b1f8ecebb2b97ecde1fe63da.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 2

MikMacMike
5 minutes ago, Mickwhitt said:

First outing today in the driveway, all seems good with the new wheels and hubs at the front. 

Just chatting with an exhaust fabricator to see if I will need to sell a kidney to get a shiny new muffler. 

I think youve got enough tools there Id be inclined to make one from stainless steel. I am hoping soon thats what Ill be doing too. It was neat to research on exhaust harmonics and in fact I read somewhere in here a RedSquare boy was giving info on exactly that too. Ill be doing some mods on my Kol~po intake and exhaust to extract a bit more hp and tork out of her....basically making her more efficient too.  You got a great lookin pony there bruther. When I was living in the UK I did notice, well in London anyways, they wer still cutting grass the one year a couple days before christmas heheheheh Youll never need a snow blower id think? A plow very posibly!

balconio
10 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

Wow it turned out gorgeous, really nice attention to detail. Nice job!

• Like 2

Mickwhitt

Hi guys,  I'm not sure if the governor is working. I have read about adjusting it but I want to know if there is something I should be seeing when I rev the engine to indicate the governor is working? 

I can't be sure the springs and linkages are in the right places, it does seem to work ok but the governor arm doesn't move when up to full revs. 

Mick 

WHX??

Best way I know to check it Mick is try and push the throttle open by hand. You should feel a definite resistance trying top push it back. Get a shot of where you have the springs & linkages well see what they look like. I always take pics of where they are before I take it apart. Doesn't mean they are in the right place then put gives a starting point when going back together.   

• Like 1

Mickwhitt

Not had much time to work on the WH since xmas.  

Been doing work on the community group and other bits and Bob's.

I need to follow your advice on checking the governor to see all is well to use her long term.

I'm scared to take her out in case she dies on me and I end up pushing her home lol.

Also had the quote in for a custom muffler..... £350 GBP  now that seems a lot for some bits of tube.

Mick 

MikMacMike
6 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

Not had much time to work on the WH since xmas.  

Been doing work on the community group and other bits and Bob's.

I need to follow your advice on checking the governor to see all is well to use her long term.

I'm scared to take her out in case she dies on me and I end up pushing her home lol.

Also had the quote in for a custom muffler..... £350 GBP  now that seems a lot for some bits of tube.

Mick 

Well you know you get a good fab guy and they are worth there weight in gold for sure...If you have a mig or tig Id definately be doing it on my own. In fact when I do get more time Ill be doing exactly that. The muffler I make Ill experiment with reg steel and when I get where I am satisfied Ill do a stainless, you see Im also going to be extracting heat for the cab from the exhaust and what heat comes off the fins. Routing it into the cab so I just feel far more safe with stainless for health reasons. Besides the way the police are around here I could be wobbling accross the road if there was an exhaust leak and they would arrest me sayg I was illegally sniffing exhaust fumes to get buzzed, hahahahaha, Dum ass O.P.P.

Mickwhitt

Ha ha Mike,  never come across anyone sniffing exhaust fumes for kicks. Just about everything else though. 

I have a mig and might re read the posts on muffler design here and have a go. If I get decent results then I may treat myself to a tig set up. I have some machines I need to sell so that would fund it.

I'm not after super quiet but want to route the fumes low down out of the way. 

Mick 

• Like 1

Pullstart

@Achto has made a muffler with good results.... I just can’t find it yet.

Achto
41 minutes ago, pullstart said:

@Achto has made a muffler with good results.... I just can’t find it yet.

Look under Radpferd or 68 Raider. I made the muffler for both of those tractors. I see if I can find a link when I get home.

Pullstart
1 hour ago, Achto said:

Look under Radpferd or 68 Raider. I made the muffler for both of those tractors. I see if I can find a link when I get home.

I read Radpferd first with no avail.  Here is the thread on the Raider build.  Did you build a louver press too for one, or am I dreaming?

Achto
3 hours ago, pullstart said:

Did you build a louver press too for one, or am I dreaming?

You're not dreaming Kevin, in fact you've a better memory than me.:lol: I had forgotten about that post. Here is the post on baffle press, this is the pipe that I made for Radpferd.

• Thanks 1

Mickwhitt

Hi all,

I'm pretty sure the governor is not working as it should.

When I apply throttle it's a bit all or nothing, no smooth response either flat out or idle.

I will gather my nerve and have a go at adjusting it to see if I can make a difference.

As I said it's the one thing I didnt disturb in the engine strip. So i hope the internals are all working and it's just an adjustment job.

Mick 

• Like 1

Pullstart
55 minutes ago, Mickwhitt said:

Hi all,

When I apply throttle it's a bit all or nothing, no smooth response either flat out or idle.

I will gather my nerve and have a go at adjusting it to see if I can make a difference.

As I said it's the one thing I didnt disturb in the engine strip. So i hope the internals are all working and it's just an adjustment job.

Mick 

It’s not all too hard to adjust it Mick.  Hold the carb wide open and the governor arm will swing away from the engine.  With the arm clamp loose, use some pliers to move the governor shaft as far as it’ll go in the same outward direction, then tighten the clamp.  It’s easiest to hold the carb at wide open with a wire or zip tie, or have a third hand available.  

Mickwhitt

Pull start that's fantastic, I will give it a go and report back. Fred is outside under a sturdy tarp while I get my shop sorted out a bit. 

The allen scythe is just about there and I'm still working on the community project as we have to stop doing any tree work by mid February to allow bird nesting season to kick off. 

Mick 

• Like 1

MikMacMike
5 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

Hi all,

Mick 

One thing Ive noticed......they can slip, dirt in jets, and multiple other things that can effect a governer, I saw they wer talking about different oils....even that can change a governer...albet minute but many things can.....but the way Kohler has it and as long as you hear RPM's ...if not get a tach you can set it to with in 50 to 100 rpm by ear and less with a guage. I think I reset mine almost every spring  and fall or when ever I notice a difference in the sounds my thumper is making. Thats also how we compete against guys who pay 10's of thousands for there motors on the drag and we beat them with a 1500 dollar motor. TUNE yr ear......a motor is music and to me when I hear a off tunage I dont readust the EQ, I get a better recording. And brother I know you listen to stuff people normally dont because you machine and I read between your word how you are like a real gear head.....Hmmmm and that is a seriouse compliment. I can say that exact statement to many in here too.....but lets not let there heads explode shal we heheheheh, they still have much to teach and everyones wisdom is literally priceless.....trust me its been my ultimate education........Anyways, Listen to her, open yer ears, she speaks and she makes love of she smacks yer peepee. All motors no matter how much roar are a heart that pumps and isnt it funny the best Doctors use the same thing to listen to our tickers. Its a language.....**** here I go again too much beer, too much acitone and I think my motor is running far too long with out proper venatalation hahahahah, yup im buzzing, setting the governer is too easy .......dont be afraid of it, it really is yr freinds, but be sure.....and I repeat be sure to set it with in spec's unless youve modified specifically .....then youll hear her say Hunny your such a horse hahahah.....Mikwhitt I havnt seen ya in a spell, and I meant to say it before I got the diarea of the mouth, good to see ya bro.......tune that puppy bro, its why we gather these ol time babies cuz there far easier to tune then the wives heheheh......**** did I just say that!!!!

MikMacMike

ahhhhh sheeesh Achto  you sun of a gun, smarter <censored>er......now I have to redraw my last prototype hahahahah, I so forgot about fins, I been stuck on round holes. Thanks bro. I rem years ago doing exactly this in a sheet metal shop and then just rolling it into a cylinder......Christ I am getting altimers,.....I did find back then if you watch your volumetric flow and incres it a percentage you can reverse the fins against the flow which seems to separate the sound and air flow waves. Too little air flow and your horse power drops considerably, but with in the same situation can increase tork....and well yes efiency......but it is very easily exapandable on the hp side by carefully paying attention to the energy in motion....sheesh I cant think of the word.....be right back................ahhhhh hell I cant think of the word that describs it.....I so illiterate at times.....the enegergy in motion is best I can describe it. Anyways thanks, Ill be redrawing it all and making it far better then I was about to, Hi 5 brodere.

• Confused 1

Pullstart

@MikMacMike I can just imagine you and @857 horse Howard yakin’ all day long and getting really nowhere!  :laughing-rofl:

• Haha 1

857 horse

@MikMacMikeTHE THEORY AND THOUGHTS OF  RELATIVITY .....PROPETUAL  MOTION,,,,,,,HYDRO DYNAMICS...and other applied sciences,,,,are mysteries we all ponder...

But to our group.....we still  wunder..... weights,? chains? and are turfs really better,???  

Human kind may never know,,, 

@pullstart:music-rockon:          

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 2
  • Heart 1

Mickwhitt

Some great advice there Mikmacmike!  I will definitely have a crack at the governor adjustment later today. 

I'll try to tune my ear, but I am a gear head. I cant do all the complicated math but I do like to think things through.

Love hearing your views and outlook on things mate, refreshing to see things another way.

I was at community meetings all day yesterday so nothing done in the shop. 

Take care y'all and keep on horsing around.

Mick 

• Like 1

Tonyp

Beautiful !   Great  work and discussion.   My favorite part is the rolling work cart !  :lol:

Mickwhitt

Hot diggety dog, I believe you American folks say!

Just followed your instructions for resetting the governor shaft and it's running really good now.

The governor is doing its job, pulling back on the throttle arm as the engine speeds up. 

Still a few pops and bangs on run down but ticks over nice and smoothly.

Muffler is definitely just a cylinder with nowt inside as we say. I have seen a motorcycle silencer in stainless fir 50 pounds and that's something I can work with to modify.

Many thanks to everyone who encouraged me along on this build.

I started the process 12 years ago and only picked up again late last year with a box of bits, a rolling chassis and an engine I had never heard run. 

Without you good people I would not have had the confidence to finish the job and probably sold the bits.

I'm proud to have a running tractor now that I can use on our community project. Looks pretty good too.

I will pick up the trailer build this week and carry on my posts.

Again many thanks to my new friends across the world, brought together by our little red machines. 

Mick 

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Mickwhitt said:

will pick up the trailer build this week and carry on my posts.

Again many thanks to my new friends across the world, brought together by our little red machines

Glad to have you on board Mick!

You've done some great work and we enjoy seeing the progress.

I'll be looking forward to your next projects for sure!!

Pullstart

Awesome job!  I admit, some small tasks seem like mountains to climb before attempting them... but in the end they weren’t even mole hills.  

• Excellent 1