Mickwhitt

My Wheelhorse Project

Mickwhitt

A much younger looking me sitting on the Horse when she arrived at my previous house. 

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib

Funny how father time can change our Appearance im  definitely one for that !!

But after all it's all about the wisdom that we gain along the way! Especially when it comes to the color red !   Nice looking tractor can't wait to see more pictures  !

:wwp:

Stormin

'Ow do, Mick. Nice looking C-125. Did a refurb on my C-125 early this year. Really good work horses.

I see a Mountfield sticker on the front. A Belgium built one by any chance? Mountfield did import them. My C-81 and C-121 are Belgium built. My C-125 was built in South Bend. USA.

• Like 1

Mickwhitt

Not sure of the build location for this one, the chassis plates are in storage somewhere so may shed a little light on things when I find em!

The top of the dip stick is missing so I will have to turn a new one up to suit. It's a rubber bung type but there is nothing above this securing the dipper in place. Any thoughts on how it should look?

Mick 

Stormin

These photo's any help?

P1030111.JPG.36ff41f80d03427ed566930249e6f916.JPG

P1030112.JPG.1cd46c91e59d3b43b8a2b767a51e46b9.JPG

Mickwhitt

Fantastic thank you. I can fabricate a suitable cap and sort out a handle. 

Mick 

roadapples

Coors cap with a slot??   :ychain:

:ROTF:

• Haha 2

Mickwhitt

Well, I gave her a sniff of petrol and fired her up today.

She ran fine, bit of a backfire or two but for the first run in over 12 years I'm quite happy. Not to mention I've had her in bits on the bench and it actually runs lol.

Made a new wiring loom too so everything looks neat and tidy.

Time to start finding out the other bits now.

Mick 

• Like 4

Mickwhitt

Ok, so I've found the majority of the bits I stored away 12 years ago. They survived a house move and I dont seem to have lost anything big.

It's just remembering where everything goes!

A few hours over the weekend and I'm at this stage,

20191013_150510.jpg.d6ee190cf687e31c79299f006f6d875e.jpg

Again I'm sorting out where everything goes before I repaint things. Dont want to get well into things and find something big needs addressing. 

May have the big sheet metal lumps powder coated rather than paint them myself.

Regards Mick 

• Like 4

Stormin

Not keen on powder coating. Especially if it's going to be a worker.

• Thanks 1

Mickwhitt

Stormin,  any reason, is it not as resilient as paint? Or too expensive to justify?

I found a local firm that does aqua blasting and powder coating so I was going to get the wheels done.

It just popped into my head to see what doing the bigger panels would cost.

Mick

Stormin

What can happen if the powder coating gets damaged down to the metal, moisture can get behind the coating. The corrosion starts.

I suppose, before anyone starts shooting me down, is how good the application.

• Excellent 1

Mickwhitt

Yes I see, the firm that do the wheels are pretty good so I'm just going to have those cleaned and refinished. 

I bought 2.5 litres of Fiat Rosso paint which is as near as can be to the Massey fergusson red I was going to use. 

Decided to make a set of bronze bushes for the clutch cross shaft as it's a bit sloppy in the chassis. 

A day on the lathe will see those done a d the new engine mounts.

Mick 

• Like 3

Stormin

Looking forward to seeing the engine mounts. :thumbs:

• Thanks 1

Mickwhitt

Wheels have gone in for cleaning and coating, tyres arrive tomorrow. 

:greetings-clappingyellow:

I've done a set of mountings and I will have a go at fitting them on friday, I have a couple of busy days coming up.

20191015_175138.jpg.7915b4bffb4d1c6159bc90a03c73a476.jpg

Just a simple round pad that fits in the cradle and a washer to clamp the whole lot down.

Mick 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

Mickwhitt

I discovered the only thing I'm missing is the gear change plate that has the gate pattern cut into it.

There was o e available on ebay so money changed hands and I now have one, needs repainting so I have to source new decals for the shift pattern and high and low range etc.

Tyres arrived and they will be fitted tomorrow. 

Then it's of to custom brakes for my brake band relining.

It's all go lol.

• Like 3

Mickwhitt

Ok, so the brake band is back and fitted.

The clutch cross shaft was quite sloppy in the chassis bearing holes so I bored them out and made two bronze bushes.

Much more secure and positive now. 20191020_163223.jpg.d96183c5dbf171b1f123b8b4aa300812.jpg

• Like 4

Mickwhitt

The cross shaft has far less movement and the clutch feels a lot smoother and positive.20191020_173511.jpg.6f57f1c392feffcc2d27e4f1e93f1eef.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Mickwhitt

I'm not sure if the lever on the clutch pedal side of the mechanism is right. Looks to be a bit messed about with more holes than it needs. Might be a case of making a new one in due course.

Mickwhitt

I have just remembered that when this horse arrived it had no seat tray, just a cobbled together roll bar affair.

I bought a seat tray and I fitted it today to see if it fitted.

Anyone have any thoughts if it looks ok?

Also not sure what the seat stops should rest on, there is nothing for them to sit on.

Also tried the new wheels on. 

20191021_184814.jpg.6dd6a6b0ea64f3c7e494a46a3607aaa3.jpg20191021_184858.jpg.60e4e8e07b08fbf7dbb6f5e593a11ff2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Stormin

Seat tray looks OK. Though the brackets look taller than mine below. There should be two spring loaded rubber ended buffers at the back. You can see the split pins keeping them in place.

P1020643.JPG.7e6b5789e35b1dd04be6c77c335f79a7.JPG

Mickwhitt

Thanks Norm,

Looks like the seat hinge supports have been lengthened to allow the tubular steel roll bar to be fitted. I'm going to scrap that as it's not right for the machine and a bit Heath Robinson. 

I'll fabricate new supports to put the seat base level. 

Engine mounts are fitted and look good, just a bugger to fit with no flex like the rubber ones.

I'll post a pic later, just busy with organising stuff.

Mick 

Mickwhitt

Another bit of lathe work to make bronze bushes for the PTO lever, even though I probably wont use it.

I modified the seat brackets back to their original size so the seat support sits level now.

20191022_111422.jpg.eeafa4655fce06d597ec1569ed4decb0.jpg20191022_111431.jpg.5a2c6547f6abab197348e540a0801d3f.jpg

• Like 4

Mickwhitt

Gear lever gaiter?  Missing from my machine so what are the chances of getting hold of one? Or something that will serve the purpose.

Mick