ebinmaine

Stick welder. Entry level. What would you buy?

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Woo Hoo, there's no limits now.

Practice Practice Practice

Get yourself a slag hammer to knock it off if you don't have one. COVER YOUR EYES as that crap is brutal on the eyeballs since it's sharp! And hot if you chip it off quick enough.

Pay attention to the puddle as you move the stick. Sometimes easy to loose if you try to go too fast. Be sure to grind the edges or faces of the metal you are welding as clean metal is much easier to get a good bead with good penetration. A bead may look good from the surface but without the penetration it will be weak.

Wait until you try vertical and or overhead welding, that takes some patience.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392269613976

Thanks John.

I appreciate the tips as always.

I have a slag hammer and some other things...

Auto darkening helmet.

Kevlar sleeves.

Great boots.

Next purchases will be more protective gear. 

Some sort of hat and an apron.

JoeM

That looks pretty good EB. It is a fine start!

I have to laugh about a story of my early days. They had a canopy busted on a machine cab in the field and the day foreman gave me the assignment of repair. I was a swing shift welder working the day turn. I ask the foreman why he didn't assign the job to one of his steady day guys. You know the guys with the good check numbers. He told me; "I need a welder not a rod burner!" I felt pretty good, never forgot.

Right now you qualify as "Rod Burner", with much potential to do welding!

Ingredients for a good stick weld; heat, angle, speed, and arc length. 

Heat; use a mfg. suggested medium, angle; tilt rod about 15 degrees in direction of travel, speed; puddle should be twice as wide as rod is thick, arc length; about half the thickness of rod diameter. Just a few rules of thumb, adjust as you go.

:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

ebinmaine
22 minutes ago, MrOiluj52 said:

qualify as "Rod Burner"

I'll take it!!!

:lol:

I'm pretty happy I got 2 pieces of metal to stick to each other....

• Like 1

ebinmaine

@pullstart

Here's yer video.

Folks I'd take all the advice and constructive criticism you can lay out..

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Heart 1

Cvans

Your a good narrator and I enjoyed watching your video. You seem to be coming along very nicely. Can't see any reason not to start repairing Colossus. I got started welding 60 years ago and it's still hard for me to watch someone that's just learning as I know they are frustrated with themselves for not being able to do better. Your doing very good. Just realize that you might have a bad day once in a while and that's normal. 

Keep up the good work and practice, practice, and practice some more. And then experiment a little for the heck of it. :lol:

• Thanks 3

ebinmaine

@Cvans

Thank you Sir.

:handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

EB!  Great progress!  As you have found today, practice practice!  Being comfortable is key and finding a way to brace your hand, arm, etc is going to be exponentially the best way to improve a novice’s experience while welding.  Other than safety details, this was the first thing I taught Rylee today when she was welding for the first time.

EBF6109E-360A-4314-8FCC-16D014DC0097.jpeg.f13a6678246f240c81e338cf02134101.jpeg4E2643D5-1D11-452A-8C01-3636B892F8D3.jpeg.20f76f2922b37fbc73824f68570a7d85.jpeg

Your definition of “looks like Hell” is way wrong.  This is thah mufflah (see what I did there?)  off Steve.  We hacked the downpipe off it to fix up Screamin’ Jimmy.  This looks like Hell.

AFD13746-C350-43E3-9444-6555F86D350B.jpeg.a5a4c9d694065cb2fbac8f81fc96bac5.jpegFA636D87-7BF7-4C3E-B3F5-969801721823.jpeg.fbef223f4c89cd5bdbc50626604f2411.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

WVHillbilly520H

Eric practice does make "perfect" you too can be laying a bead with the stick like this...

IMAG3862.jpg

Screenshot_2020-04-04-22-29-00.png

Screenshot_2020-04-04-22-29-10.png

Screenshot_2020-04-04-22-29-19.png

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, pullstart said:

This is thah mufflah (see what I did there?)

I don't know if I should admit this on an open public forum but I didn't even catch that the first time I read the sentence. I'm just so used to reading and speaking like that it just didn't even register.

:ROTF:

I think it's awesome that you got your kid out there learning to weld.

That mufflah looks like somebody had a lot of fun with about 4 6011 rods making boogers...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Eric practice does make "perfect" you too can be laying a bead with the stick like this...

IMAG3862.jpg

Screenshot_2020-04-04-22-29-00.png

Screenshot_2020-04-04-22-29-10.png

Screenshot_2020-04-04-22-29-19.png

Someday Jeff. Someday....

• Thanks 1

Tractorhead

You’re on a good Way.

now it‘s time to check the penetration, by cutting your welded parts and see how deep the penetration was.

clean and smooth Surface come just more and more with a lot of practice, but what i see in you Video, stability shall be given.

👍

so you make a good progress and you learn quick. 

If you curious if you weldings will last, get 2 smaller Angle irons welded together and try them to rip.

If they last, cut them in diagonal, to see how the penetration was. In this Way you get more and more trust to your own Weldings.

The nice of a seam i handled allways as a secondary issue, that come from allone, the more trust you have to your own Weldings.

Btw. I found the optic of your Weldings don’t look really Bad at all.

• Thanks 1

M Ehtesham Shafiq

Stick welding is one of the oldest methods of welding. It is inexpensive and easier to learn. This welding method was introduced in the 1920s. Stick welding is basically Shielded Metal Arc Welding because it forms a shielded arc around the piece.

A stick-type rod is used in it, so we called it to stick welding. It is still used in many Industries, pipelines, and constructions, etc. because of its simple use it is still popular in many segments of society like garage workers, etc. Stick welding can be applied to carbon steel stainless steel, steel, and metals, etc.

Read More...

• Like 3

953 nut

:WRS:

@M Ehtesham Shafiq, glad to have you with us. I am not aware of any other members from Pakistan. Do you have a :wh: or two that we can help you with?

• Like 1

DennisThornton

This is a pretty big topic and hard for me to give it its due here and even though I've welded for 50 years there's more knowledgeable pro welders here in this forum.  And there's tons of good info with top notch videos online already.  But I'd like to add one thing even though it's something I don't have experience with.  Light weight inverters!  I have one but I've yet to try it...  Something to consider.  And I have a combo Tig/plasma cutter that I've yet to try.  Maybe others will chime in on one or both if they haven't already.  I may have miss it...

• Like 1