ebinmaine

Trailer advice and help needed. Horse hauler. Utility trailer.

ebinmaine

@RandyLittrell

Here's the trailer.

IMG_20190731_192345549.jpg.c34904e69741cfb366e5cd8c08af8074.jpg

Pullstart

I bet a simple deck over with side ramps would be just fine on that thing!  Park one left to right, one right to left...

• Like 3

82Caddy
5 hours ago, pullstart said:

I bet a simple deck over with side ramps would be just fine on that thing!  Park one left to right, one right to left...

I'm with Kevin on this one.  Deck over seems like your most cost effective option and if done correctly could easily be removed if needed.  2x6/8/10 and some angle iron will do what you're after for cheap and bolt it all together.

Lee1977

Build a perment shelf out over the fenders. Weld up an angle frame the slide in over the side angles with two tracks. You would only need two angles to slide over the existing side angle with three cross members as you already have one at the front and add the two tracks. Then three bolt each side to the existing side angles and one each in the tracks to the front angle.  The very back angle would need to be the heavest or it could be braced down the the trailer deck..

Edited by Lee1977

ebinmaine

I love the deck over idea and was considering that but then I took some measurements of the stuff that I want to put in the trailer.

We have a very large cooler that really needs to be in the trailer with the tractors and it won't anywhere near fit under a deck.

I will probably need to use two separate decks or four separate boards, so as to leave a space big enough for the cooler.

Pullstart
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I love the deck over idea and was considering that but then I took some measurements of the stuff that I want to put in the trailer.

We have a very large cooler that really needs to be in the trailer with the tractors and it won't anywhere near fit under a deck.

I will probably need to use two separate decks or four separate boards, so as to leave a space big enough for the cooler.

Risers?  I almost built the deck high enough to load the generator underneath the deck and keep room above for tractors...  I felt that it would be just too tall above the truck bed for that.

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

Risers?  I almost built the deck high enough to load the generator underneath the deck and keep room above for tractors...  I felt that it would be just too tall above the truck bed for that.

I like the idea of the extra space but not so much the instability of the extra height.

82Caddy

What about leaving just enough space at the very front of the trailer open for the cooler or taller things?

what is that big box on the front for? Anyway to put that and the spare under the potential deck and strap the cooler to the tongue?

I’m just spit balling and making stuff up here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lee1977

The spare tire will go under the raised deck. What is the box used for?  Is the cooler to big to mount in front where the tire and box is now?  Just how big is that cooler and how much beer are you taking along.

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, 82Caddy said:

What about leaving just enough space at the very front of the trailer open for the cooler or taller things?

Gonna do that but in between the tires.

7 hours ago, 82Caddy said:

what is that big box on the front for?

5 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

What is the box used for? 

That's where all the straps and ground block goes.

It's welded in place.

7 hours ago, 82Caddy said:

I’m just spit balling and making stuff up here

Great!!

That's exactly why I posted this thread!

5 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

Just how big is that cooler and how much beer are you taking along.

I don't know the quart size. It measures about 2 feet, cubed.

It'll hold enough cold food for us to be in the woods for 3 days. And some beer....

:lol:

RandyLittrell
On 8/1/2019 at 6:40 PM, ebinmaine said:

@RandyLittrell

Here's the trailer.

IMG_20190731_192345549.jpg.c34904e69741cfb366e5cd8c08af8074.jpg

My thought was to make the front of the trailer a v-nose. By making the front a 90 deg V, you could back the first tractor in at a 45 deg angle then pull the second one in and it would be at a 45 as well. I didn't draw it out with a scale ruler so I don't really know it would work for sure, but I think it would. You could mount the spare on one side of the trailer, in front of the wheel and the box on the other. 

You could take some boards or rope and lay it out on the ground and then see if your tractors could fit that way.  Just an idea to consider. 

Randy

Edited by RandyLittrell
  • Like 1

Lee1977

They make these little cutting disk for a 4 1/2" side grinder they do a great job on removing metal that's in the wrong place.  You have to make changes If you want this to work.  That storage box is too deep you could never get stuff out from the bottom anyway cut it down and move it up and put the cooler behind it. I believe we will have to get Trina on here to get this trailer fixed. 

• Haha 3

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

believe we will have to get Trina on here to get this trailer fixed

She just laughed out loud at that

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

RandyLittrell

I had another idea for your trailer. These ramps from Harbor Freight are on sale a lot for $39.99.  https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-steel-loading-ramps-44649.html

You could bolt two sets of these across the top of your trailer and get a longer set to load them. https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lbs-capacity-10-in-x-84-in-steel-loading-ramps-set-of-two-60397.html

When  you decide to get a bigger trailer, you still have the ramps. Just a thought. 

Randy

44649_W3.jpg

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, RandyLittrell said:

had another idea for your trailer. These ramps from Harbor Freight are on sale a lot for $39.99.  https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-steel-loading-ramps-44649.html

You could bolt two sets of these across the top of your trailer and get a longer set to load them

Hey now! You may have something there.

I already have the longer set to load them.....

• Like 2

Mike'sHorseBarn

I actually thought about this thread over the weekend. I was working on a 1972 snowmobile trailer that i use to haul just a single tractor around. I cut out some of the rusted out metal and welded in new metal, then i tore it all apart. I got a new wiring harness for it and the deck, cross beams, and tongue are going for powder coat today. The axle, leaf springs, and hubs will just get painted. 

20190730_195200.jpg.271c865446ab748b0f9eb4faab77fab0.jpg20190824_113043.jpg.fa696c021b27a2279e41bd3457658cd4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
15 minutes ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

I actually thought about this thread over the weekend. I was working on a 1972 snowmobile trailer that i use to haul just a single tractor around. I cut out some of the rusted out metal and welded in new metal, then i tore it all apart. I got a new wiring harness for it and the deck, cross beams, and tongue are going for powder coat today. The axle, leaf springs, and hubs will just get painted. 

20190730_195200.jpg.271c865446ab748b0f9eb4faab77fab0.jpg20190824_113043.jpg.fa696c021b27a2279e41bd3457658cd4.jpg

Keep us posted on your progress. That's going to look great.

ebinmaine
On 8/25/2019 at 2:01 PM, RandyLittrell said:

I had another idea for your trailer. These ramps from Harbor Freight are on sale a lot for $39.99.  https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-steel-loading-ramps-44649.html

You could bolt two sets of these across the top of your trailer and get a longer set to load them. https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lbs-capacity-10-in-x-84-in-steel-loading-ramps-set-of-two-60397.html

When  you decide to get a bigger trailer, you still have the ramps. Just a thought. 

Randy

44649_W3.jpg

All right there mister Randy. I owe you one.

I really couldn't wait to see when they were going to be on sale but I did pick up two sets of those tonight. They look fantastic. Bull-strong. Should work great.

Guy behind the counter gave me the discount 20% coupon on both sets so that saved a few bucks. That's nice.

Hoping Sunday or Monday to get these things bolted to the trailer and see how things look.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

RandyLittrell

Glad to help, even a blind squirrel picks up a nut once in a while!

Can't wait for pics!

Randy

• Excellent 1

82Caddy

There’s a 25% off coupon that’ll be active on Monday if you’re looking to save a few more bucks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

82Caddy

Glad you found a solution that’ll work out. 

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, 82Caddy said:

There’s a 25% off coupon that’ll be active on Monday if you’re looking to save a few more bucks

I appreciate that but the store is over an hour away and he gave me a 20% coupon anyway.

82Caddy

No problem, just trying to lookout for others to save some funds for horse projects. I like your new plan for this trailer too. 

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
23 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

Glad to help, even a blind squirrel picks up a nut once in a while!

Can't wait for pics!

Randy

I still need to take a bunch of measurements and set these in their final positions and bolt them down. But basically this is what I was thinking. A small tractor would ride at the back and a larger one at the front.

IMG_20190831_175331633.jpg.cb4aa345b7c0f1f02d10f7c0f1b89d4b.jpg

• Like 3

RandyLittrell

That's gonna be awesome! You could mount the angled pieces on top for stop blocks once you figure out were the tractors will sit and with four bolts per ramp, it wouldn't take too long to take them on and off. I bet carriage bolts would fit right in the slotted portion of the ramp and only have to drill holes in the top of the side rails. 

Lots of room underneath to carry all your stuff too. 

I am sure you are a safe guy being you drive a truck, but for others who might not be aware. I never drive my tractors up ramps with me on them. I use a winch or start them in low gear at idle and let them creep up the ramp then turn the key off at the top while standing beside them. Can't be too safe! 

Keep us posted, its looking good Eric!!

Randy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1