bc.gold

Trailer Build

bc.gold

This old RV trailer now stripped down to the frame is being repurposed to haul my Allis 720 to a few of the local show n shines. The fenders are from the hood of an old Toro.

reel.png

• Like 5

JAinVA

Is that 3/4" aluminum sheet up front?

Pullstart
1 minute ago, JAinVA said:

Is that 3/4" aluminum sheet up front?

I was just going to ask... how thick is that aluminum?  Did it come from one of your scrap yard picks @bcgold?

bc.gold

3/4 Plywood that Pat painted, I think it's Cape Code Grey.

Was going to use 2"x12" x 12 ft but at $60.00 each the $300.00 a bit hard to swallow, the ply was $50.00 a sheet and i have one salvaged from a dump find.

The frame had foam insulation stuck to it the tiger torch with a bit of heat loosened the foam enough to peel off, later today will make a trip to Vern's Ag to pick up some iron for additional cross members.

For the cross members I'll use 3" flat bar with 1.5" flat bar welded lengthwise on center making it into T-Bar, very strong and light weight. The T-Bar is what I used on my last trailer build, the deck was strong enough the haul a large WD40 tractor.

As I winched that old WD40 onto the trailer it lifted that ass end of my 3/4 ton truck into the air, once loaded onto the trailer the truck settled back to earth but the trailer frame had a bow in it. Brought the trailer home unloaded the tractor then welded four short pieces of 2" pipe spaced apart, then welded flat bar to the top of the frame  bringing the flat bar over the tops of the 2" round pipe standing at 4" in height to the rear of the trailer frame bending it down to be welded to the top of the frame then at the pipe tops.

The next time the WD40 was loaded no more bow.

This trailer is a cobbled creation and just needs to haul no more that what that Allis 720 weighs.

I use trailer deck screws for my builds, the one on the far right are pretty neat they drill the hole then self tap into the metal, they don't always work, that butterfly once messed up ruins a second chance. You toss the screw.

The one on the left requires that you pre-drill the hole a bit more time consuming but with 100 percent success rate.

deck.png

• Like 1

bc.gold

These are the deck screws from Vern's AG, he said to drill a small pilot hole.

With my plywood, screws and iron my expenditures this far $210.00 Canadian $160.16 US, thinking about getting a magnetic wireless trailer light package but not too keen on having to install dry cell battery's every couple of hours.

The light package, tail and marker with reflective tape probably add another hundred to the build.

deck3.png