Stormin

Garden furniture.

The Tuul Crib

Nice job Storm! What l want to know 

is how did you just HAPPEN to have ship beams laying around? Must be hard to come by . Beech is stable and hard . Ive turned a few bowls from it and it does turn well. I have a cast iron bench at my shop 

l saved out of a dumpster. Im just waiting

for the right wood to put on it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stormin

39 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

Nice job Storm! What l want to know 

is how did you just HAPPEN to have ship beams laying around? Must be hard to come by . Beech is stable and hard . Ive turned a few bowls from it and it does turn well. I have a cast iron bench at my shop 

l saved out of a dumpster. Im just waiting

for the right wood to put on it!

Right place at the right time for a change.

I was helping a friend clear some rubbish from where he was building his new house about 11yrs ago. They were there and he didn't want them. Most  likely off a trawler for holding the nets.

Edited by Stormin

ebinmaine

Nice-looking work there Norm.

• Thanks 1

The Tuul Crib
1 hour ago, Stormin said:

Right place at the right time for a change.

I was helping a friend clear some rubbish from where he was building his new house about 11yrs ago. They were there and he didn't want them. Most  likely off a trawler for holding the nets.

Reminds me of myself ill hang on to a 

piece of wood until l find that right project to use it on!

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, The Tool Crib said:

Reminds me of myself ill hang on to a 

piece of wood until l find that right project to use it on!

Yeah. Trina is kind of funny about that. We are not anything to do with the remotest possibility of finish carpenters.

We both know that we need to cull off some of the spare wheel horse parts but neither one of us will throw away a piece of scrap wood for most any reason.

A lot of the things that she has made or done to the house have been from repurposed materials.

Things we've taken apart. Old pallets are what built the stairway. I replaced pieces of the doorway trim on the first floor  a couple years ago... and even just yesterday we used a couple of those as pieces of trim in the chicken coop.

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

My father came up in the depression

era.He never threw anything away. 

We would straighten nails and reuse them 

• Like 1

formariz

Nice bench. Great job and good color choice.Beech is not abundant here.That is something that I find myself doing frequently here for people, since they are mostly maple and rot with in a couple of years. I usually make them out of left over mahogany from other projects. Very nice.

I like the second bench design. Different than most.

Edited by formariz
  • Thanks 1

formariz
51 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

My father came up in the depression

era.He never threw anything away. 

We would straighten nails and reuse them 

LOL. My oldest son still does that. Funny he has actually already  embedded that mentality into my oldest grandson(6). As we take walks through the woods in the back of property he finds all kinds of old stuff on ground and brings it home saying that it may be useful one day.

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib

Thats great. The world we live in is such a disposable world. We need to teach our young to rebuild rather than replace! 

• Like 2

Digger 66
6 hours ago, Stormin said:

beech beams from a ship I've also had lying around

...and I thought I saved everything .

Kidding aside , that bench is absolutely beautiful .

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, formariz said:

.Beech is not abundant here

Our forest is approximately 70 percent beech.

Great firewood.

Come on over and get a few sticks....

• Like 1

formariz

@StorminNot criticizing but curious why you left the last board out in front. I think I might know the reason. Will tell you after you answer. We might have run across the same obstacle or rather annoyance.

The Tuul Crib
13 hours ago, formariz said:

@StorminNot criticizing but curious why you left the last board out in front. I think I might know the reason. Will tell you after you answer. We might have run across the same obstacle or rather annoyance.

I didn’t notice that until you said something 

That might be s little uncomfortable!

Stormin
18 hours ago, formariz said:

Though the beams were big, 2"x 5"x 8' not quite big enough. Ergo short of one slat. Not uncomfortable at all. We have another single seat like that.

You may have noticed that the second slat down on the back is at a slant. That's due to the hole on the left not being just right. 1/4" to high. That got put right today with the aid of a round file.

Edited by Stormin

formariz

Thought you left it out on purpose.I found that some of these seats are a little too deep so ones inside of leg is always putting too much pressure on that board making it uncomfortable. I have resorted in the latest ones to shape that board so it is comfortable and does not dig in to leg. I also found that in many it is best that boards are not all same width, so now I just customize them according to bench so they have a smooth contour without edges protruding from adjacent board. Here is the latest batch.

IMG_1843.JPG.a60b2674a706eb0afbbc92e067c0bb80.JPG

• Like 2

Stormin

We have one like those type of benches. Same pattern. That's due for a rebuild one day. I like the way you've done the seat. :thumbs:

Edited by Stormin

Stormin

Park bench is now finished and back in it's place on the green.

P1020839.JPG.9c7a190859a113d777d2e59256b0a45c.JPG

It could do with three more slats in the seat, but that was all the wood I had. One day it may get some if I come across some suitable wood.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

formariz

Nice. I really like that one. Simple elegance. Nice clean lines. I may have a metal guy duplicate that one.

• Thanks 1

Stormin
1 hour ago, formariz said:

Nice. I really like that one. Simple elegance. Nice clean lines. I may have a metal guy duplicate that one.

Cost you. I've got it patented world wide. :D

Edited by Stormin
  • Haha 2