JimmyJam

Engine stalls once PTO is engaged

JimmyJam

Hello Guys and Girls,

So my frustrating problem is that my Kohler 12hp engine stalls once the PTO is engaged.

Details: 1979 C-111 Wheel Horse/Toro Classic with Kohler 12hp engine with shaker mounts...new to me and PTO was disconnected and missing parts. I downloaded the manual from RS (Thank You) and ordered all the necessary parts from A-Z Tractor (Thank You!). Parts installed. 

So now without load...without any attachment belts installed...without PTO brake installed and running at full throttle does the engine stall and quit once PTO lever is thrown into "Engage". 

The trunnion at the end of the PTO rod was tightened all the way to the rear threads. I backed it off slightly forward to compensate some slack. No changes. Still stalls.

What am I missing???

Help!!

-Jimmy

953 nut
6 minutes ago, JimmyJam said:

What am I missing???

Seat switch would be my guess!

• Thanks 1

JimmyJam
1 minute ago, 953 nut said:

Seat switch would be my guess!

Ahhhh! I did replace the seat with a new one from Tractor Supply. I saw that the switch was there; however I did not investigate if it was wired. I did notice that the rear taillights wiring pigtails were tampered with. Hmmmm! Thanks @953 nut!!! I will investigate tomorrow and update ya'll!!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHGuy413

I would say seat switch also. I had one do that to me. 

Ike

Seat switch.  I went through the same thing last year on my 314-h. 

richmondred01

Yep seat switch is my vote. Check the wires too and see if the are frayed and grounding along the run.

gwest_ca

The C-111 originally had a B&S engine with magneto ignition. I believe they used a battery ignition switch to control an isolation relay which grounded the ignition to shut it off.

If the Kohler has battery ignition the seat switch wiring is different.

Garry

• Like 3

richmondred01
2 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

The C-111 originally had a B&S engine with magneto ignition. I believe they used a battery ignition switch to control an isolation relay which grounded the ignition to shut it off.

If the Kohler has battery ignition the seat switch wiring is different.

Garry

Excellent point. I didn’t take note to the model number just the k301 engine reference.

JimmyJam

So to clarify the model number, it's 91-11B801 with a serial number of 9096.

The decals on the hood says:" Toro / Wheel Horse Classic". It has a Kohler 12hp engine on a shaker mount. The ignition coil is mounted to the front covering the Kohler model/serial sticker. The overall patina indicates that it was all original. I am the 3rd owner. No paperwork.

I am guessing that it may not be a 1979 manufacturing date (uncertain when Toro bought WH), but at some point I am guessing that Toro was using left over WH inventory parts including Kohler motors. ???? I am guessing this based on the Toro/Wheel Horse classic decal and such a low serial number.

Thoughts anyone on that theory?

Raining like a bastard here today and the C-111 is outside under a tarp; no room in shed. Work delay!

This C-111 "Classic", I named "Beethoven" has been suited up to be my tilling tractor. 

Thanks to Kyle @fast88pu for selling me the tiller and Lowell of Wheel Horse Parts and More for selling the necessary rockshaft/lift parts.

Edited by JimmyJam

gwest_ca

The B in the model number 91-11B801 is the B&S engine. If it were a Kohler they used a K.

The 11 in the model number is 11hp.

The 9096 is not the serial number. It is the Julian build date - 96th day of 1979.

The serial number should be higher than 23623 as this one has a 9095 build date.

The serial number is most likely lower than 24100.

Would be interesting to know the spec number and serial number of the engine.

Click on the fuzzy picture

JimmyJam

Thanks @gwest_ca. The serial number to the right of model number is: 23786.

As so as it stops down-pouring, I will take coil off and record the Kohler spec number and serial #.

JimmyJam

It was the seat switch!!!

Wires had disconnected from switch.

PTO is up and running.

Thanks

• Like 1