Ed Kennell

More Whatizits

Mows4three
31 minutes ago, formariz said:

Just got back, busy family day yesterday. That was a good one. I would not figure that one out ever.Good thing to know. With the exception of gun stocks I am totally illiterate about guns. Lets work on the other one.

I just got the ratcheting gadget at a farm sale yesterday.  I had no idea what it was.  A guy I know from a big flea market in Altoona, PA sells and collects tools.  He was at the sale and came over to see me after I bought a $7 box full of CRAP (Collectable, Recyclable And Precious).  He identified the object for me.  

The best hint I can give is by looking at the box of CRAP and seeing what it was included with it. 

A0CB1632-3C56-444A-A276-06A1EC9D7773.jpeg

• Like 1

Mows4three
1 hour ago, LengerichKA88 said:

@Mows4three, looks like you have to do two of em now! 😂

i haven’t the faintest clue what that tool is used for 

That was a good post you made on the BFA.  Took a lot of head scratching to figure it out!!!

Dave

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Dental cleaning kit for a VERY large animal.

Ratcheting mechanism meant to hold mouth open...

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Haha 1

formariz

Is that a soldering iron under there?

LengerichKA88
15 hours ago, Mows4three said:

Not a rafter spreader, but you're definitely thinking in the right DIRECTION. 

Dave

Tension bar of sorts? Used to keep a predetermined amount of distance between two boards, or used to support and hold in place wooden forms, like for concrete work? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Mows4three
33 minutes ago, formariz said:

Is that a soldering iron under there?

It is a soldering iron.  Old school version.  Long before Mr. Weller came up with his classic electric soldering gun. 

But, it’s not connected to the ratcheting gizmo.  

Dave

Mows4three
51 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Dental cleaning kit for a VERY large animal.

Ratcheting mechanism meant to hold mouth open...

You have a very active imagination Eric, but it’s only meant for use in the care of docile, domesticated animals.  

Dave

Mows4three
20 minutes ago, LengerichKA88 said:

Tension bar of sorts? Used to keep a predetermined amount of distance between two boards, or used to support and hold in place wooden forms, like for concrete work? 🤷🏻‍♂️

The TENSION is building almost as fast as the suspense.  Not for any kind of residential or commercial construction work, but you would be constructing something if you had this in your toolbox.  And you would use it to apply subtle tension. 

Keep looking at the the contents of the box. 

Dave

Mows4three

By the way, in addition to the $64K worth of fun I got from the Watzit gadget, this farm sale box yielded a great scaling brush for blacksmithing, four good USA made Nicholson files, a soldering iron, a good long tool steel punch, a forged gate hook, a hank of galvanized annealed wire, a knife sharpener, a brass-bound 6” rosewood square, and a really old pair of Craftsman tin snips that tightened right up and took a good edge with one of the files that was in the box. 

Not it too bad for a $7.00 investment. Plus, I got to hang out all morning with my 87 year old dad and my best buddy Bill.  We had a great time. 

The only other thing I bought was a decent blacksmith’s leg vise with 5” jaws.  It was seized up but some liberally applied PB Blaster, a wedge, a block of wood and a 3 pound hammer persuaded it into cooperation.  

Maybe we we should start a thread on Farm Sale and Flea Market Finds and Treasures?  Eh?

Cheers!

Dave

• Like 2

formariz

I cant think of what but it is some type of tensioner. Notched end would hook on cable present in box. The steel hook,wire, definitely have something to do with it and perhaps punch? Perhaps a cable tensioner for large gates to keep them square? I have done some stuff like that. The gate hook the galvanized wire and perhaps the punch are the related items.

IMG_1784.JPG

Edited by formariz

Mows4three
1 minute ago, formariz said:

I cant think of what but it is some type of tensioner. Notched end would hook on cable present in box. The files steel hook  and punch may have something to do with it? Perhaps a cable tensioner for large gates to keep them square? I have done some stuff like that.

You have just turned the corner and are headed sufficiently in the right direction!  

The wire in the box is left over electric fencing wire. The wire is run through ceramic or plastic insulators.  According to the tool guy who identified it for me, this gadget gave someone working alone an extra set of hands when installing electric fence around a pasture.  It applied moderate tension so you could use both hands to make your wrapped wire splice.  

He saw me take a picture of it and send it to Eric and got a great big kick out of knowing it was going to be a Whatzit for this forum.  He also said he has a dozen or more old tools that would keep all of us in suspense and will show some of them too me the next time I go to Altoona. 

Congratulations!   You get to post the next WHATZIT!!!

Cheers!

Dave

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

formariz

Ahhh. I think you gave it up too soon. I actually had thought electric fencing before just thought that cable was too thick for that purpose. Good mental exercise.

I use tension method on a lot of things such as  shelving that will have variable weight on it.As you put more weight on long shelf you increase tension to keep shelf with a slight convex shape towards top increasing weight bearing capability. Pretty much like a bridge.

IMG_6026.JPG.960d72bb6ddef7ccf745bf7736791f1c.JPG

• Like 3

Mows4three

I like the look of your tensioners!   We used a similar “stick and twist” method of putting tension at H-braced corner fence posts in our pastures.  You have to brace them correctly or the contraction of the wire as it gets cold will yank them out of the ground. Ask me how I know......

You’re on deck for the next one!

Dave

• Like 1

formariz

Here we go again.This one could be easy for the oldest ones out there.

It is a tool.

It has a dual purpose

The second purpose makes it convenient for the main purpose

It is not used in any of the common trades, but used in the product of a very precise trade.

This one is made out of brass.

When you push one end a little "chuck" opens on opposite end.

It is not a hair plucker or a splinter removal tool.

The little "loop" around center swivels around shaft.

It is very small.

This one has a bit of patina (oxidation) but in reality under normal use it would have been brightly polished.

Nearly completely unused today.

IMG_6028.JPG.4bad1f7c7a5ca754320c2f2f72807d9d.JPG

IMG_6030.JPG.195a7b1bb2dd689fa0166a8dcd4677b4.JPG

IMG_6029.JPG.5f44de55f4235decd4d3010a91c4e573.JPG

• Like 1

LengerichKA88
32 minutes ago, formariz said:

Here we go again.This one could be easy for the oldest ones out there.

It is a tool.

It has a dual purpose

The second purpose makes it convenient for the main purpose

It is not used in any of the common trades, but used in the product of a very precise trade.

This one is made out of brass.

When you push one end a little "chuck" opens on opposite end.

It is not a hair plucker or a splinter removal tool.

The little "loop" around center swivels around shaft.

It is very small.

This one has a bit of patina (oxidation) but in reality under normal use it would have been brightly polished.

Nearly completely unused today.

IMG_6028.JPG.4bad1f7c7a5ca754320c2f2f72807d9d.JPG

IMG_6030.JPG.195a7b1bb2dd689fa0166a8dcd4677b4.JPG

IMG_6029.JPG.5f44de55f4235decd4d3010a91c4e573.JPG

Is it something used in the servicing of watches? 

formariz

How old are you?

getting warm but have to be specific. Remember it has two functions.

LengerichKA88
24 minutes ago, formariz said:

How old are you?

According to the government, my mom, or my wife? 😂

The size, along with “precise trade” and “nearly completely unused today” gave it away as a watch making/servicing tool after a few moments. 

I would imagine it would be used in some fashion similar to a screw driver, allowing not only for tension but removal of certain components. Does the center piece move freely inside of the tube? 

I don’t know that I know enough about watches to guess any further though. 

formariz

I guess I almost gave away too many hints, but sometimes if you don't it is a little unfair. Only if you know exactly what it is will one answer it.

Center piece does not move inside tube.

Mows4three

My guess:

A collet to hold fine drill bits.  

Dave

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Pullstart
1 hour ago, Mows4three said:

My guess:

A collet to hold fine drill bits.  

Dave

Catching up on this thread, I was thinking the same.  

formariz
18 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Catching up on this thread, I was thinking the same.  

No not a collet.

Pullstart

For fly tying maybe?

• Sad 1

Mows4three

Is it used in the jewelry trade or on sewing machines?

• Sad 1

stevasaurus

I don't think it is made for holding drill bits, but it could hold small screws for starting or removing.  It could also hold pins for placement. 

One thing about living in Elgin, Ill...a lot of my older (now gone) relatives used to work at the Elgin Watch Company.  I have a bunch of the tools that my aunt used, and a few of the old pocket watches.  Special tweezers, and screwdrivers...and pin vise.  :occasion-xmas:

• Sad 1

formariz

A little warmer in your answer Steve but nothing to do with screws or pins. Trying to think about the second function will help.