ebinmaine

Raising chickens. Advice, comments, do's and don'ts wanted.

Jeff-C175
22 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Black bears

I'm expecting to see them here soon.

We had coyote (at least one that I saw, maybe more) last year.  Not seen again though.

WHX??
27 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Just the head....probably a weasel.

:text-yeahthat:I wouldn't have thought a coon would have the audacity to go after a whole chicken. Lest he was really really hungry which I guess isn't impossible given the time of year. 

ebinmaine

We have every kind of predator and pray that you could imagine going through our yard on a regular basis.

There's a strong comma active, coyote population here. Interestingly, I don't think I remember seeing their tracks in the immediate area of the house and that may be because of the dog. .

Bears are nice enough to come through an empty out our bird feeders at least once or twice a year. 

• Like 2

Pullstart
36 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Just the head....probably a weasel.

I was surprised, but the tracks surely look like a raccoon.  

• Sad 2

Pullstart

Just the other day, we were pointed out as “would you take our two huskies?”  As much as we travel, we have chosen to not commit to a dog or two.  I much prefer dogs over cats, but our two felines can take care of themselves quite well.  Man, if a dog was here it would’ve surely been an alarm at night!

DennisThornton

Weasels won't eat much but they will do their darndest to kill everything they can with a bite to the head or neck.

• Sad 1

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

I wouldn't have thought a coon would have the audacity to go after a whole chicken.

They sure do ...  one night I heard a chilling 'scream' from next door.  Harry would put the birds inside the coop for the night but he missed one Duck.  I looked out and there was a racoon mauling the poor bird.  When it was dead, he dragged it off somewhere.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Thanks 1

Maxwell-8

our hens can only go out after 9 AM and go back in 30 minutes before dark starts settling. We learned the hard way that buzzards like our chickens only in the morning. 

And they can free range all day but we have made some more sheltering options. where they now sit under all the time.

• Like 1

Pullstart

We’ve had this flock of 16 since spring of 2018.  Now 15... I’ll be sure to close the coop door while the trapping is active outside the fence.

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
9 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

buzzards

image.png.476c6070b75c8889c93e893b2a96f524.png

• Haha 4

Pullstart

Just to report, still 15 chickens this morning and nothing in my trap.  Traveling soldier?  Not sure how far coons venture out for a snack.

953 nut
41 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Just to report, still 15 chickens this morning and nothing in my trap.  Traveling soldier?  Not sure how far coons venture out for a snack.

Coons love peanut butter, they can sniff it out for miles.

Pullstart
Just now, 953 nut said:

Coons love peanut butter, they can sniff it out for miles.

And typically marshmallows!  3 = 1 coon.

• Like 1

DennisThornton
3 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

My go to bait for coon when I ran a trap line was as a youngster was cracklins.       After the lard was pressed, the skins were fried and stored in the smoke house in burlap bags.  They were eaten daily in lunches until they turned rancid, then were used for coon bait. 

BTW, I checked my trap line on my walk to grade school every day and carried a .22 cat rifle to dispatch  the coon.    The rifle was stored in the corner of the one room school while I was in class.

I can still see and smell the the hog butcher days some 70+ years ago.   Mother, Aunts, and Grandmother slicing fat on the skins in a checkerboard pattern,

for lard pressing,  scrubbing intestines for sausage casing on a wash board.  Father, Uncles and Grandfather hoisting hogs for scalding and hair scraping.  Cooking puddin meat and cracklins  in the iron kettles over the wood fire.     The butcher hogs were killed at the pen and dragged by horse  to the butcher site.    I always enjoyed the hog rides.

1770848628_102_2725(2).JPG.f8c953652ff72ca66335136b35a012d3.JPG2144822808_102_2724(2).JPG.428e0322cc96b2095c968536f2f90b5a.JPG

One of my fondest memories!  We cooked laundry tubs of sausage the next day.  Took all day or more!  Good times!  Great eating!  Stuff very few get to experience now days!  Their loss...

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

Ed Kennell

Here are a couple chicken Head Hunters that visited my hen house once too often.      They come in summer and winter colors.

102_2722.JPG.4164e194424a5f3ac9b14ea79a1edf34.JPG

They have the equipment to surgically remove a chicken head.

102_2720.JPG.a23caad2891909b7b3add9e91baa0777.JPG

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

formariz
3 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I can still see and smell the the hog butcher days some 70+ years ago.   Mother, Aunts, and Grandmother slicing fat on the skins in a checkerboard pattern,

for lard pressing,  scrubbing intestines for sausage casing on a wash board.  Father, Uncles and Grandfather hoisting hogs for scalding and hair scraping.  Cooking puddin meat and cracklins  in the iron kettles over the wood fire.     The butcher hogs were killed at the pen and dragged by horse  to the butcher site.    I always enjoyed the hog rides.

Brings back great memories. Here is some of the family working on one on top of oxen cart as it was typically done.

6EF270D6-846B-40E1-8441-DF26B9EFE13D.jpeg.3ff3083f9436f6eab276e494c9a9e522.jpeg

Edited by formariz
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 3

DennisThornton

Here are a couple chicken Head Hunters that visited my hen house once too often.      They come in summer and winter colors.

I picked up 6 pullets with little pin holes in their skull!  I saw nothing eaten!  Vicious killers!

• Sad 1

DennisThornton

You?  Or did you send them out?

Pullstart

@Ed Kennell and @formariz, awesome stories and thank you for sharing the pictures!  So many experiences that’ll never happen in today’s world for so many!  I am not the best surgeon, but much prefer to process my own meat.  A hog costs as much to raise it as it does to slaughter and process it.  I’d love to some day have the skills and time to raise and process my own pig meat!

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

You?  Or did you send them out?

I do my own Dennis.

DennisThornton
4 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I do my own Dennis.

Wow!  I tanned a black angus hide once but I've never stuffed or mounted anything.  I've thought that if I ever shot a black squirrel I'd try it.

Ed Kennell

Here's a few of the dust collectors I've created.

102_2425.JPG.614f0fe92413746191f43a6ea956b630.JPG102_2430.JPG.5ef05423a99ade93b21a0c168d85e16f.JPG102_2427.JPG.b28067447cf6c1a0dbf17e1e1e403f4d.JPG102_2424.JPG.e10d17381c84809221f13482017f85f9.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 2

DennisThornton
9 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Here's a few of the dust collectors I've created.

Oh my goodness!  I'm speechless!

• Thanks 1