ebinmaine

How's your weather today? Spring isn't here in Maine yet. :-)

wh500special

It's been nice here in the middle of the country in southern IL lately, but mom and dad called me as they were passing through Duluth, MN yesterday and were greeted with snow on the ground and a high of 39 F.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-weather/duluth-slobbered-on-with-accumulating-slushy-snow-on-may-19

Uff Da!

Steve

• Like 1

Stormin

Been a cracking day. Wall to wall sunshine and Tee shirt weather. :UK:

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

Been crazy weather here in Oklahoma the past few weeks. Most of the time its dry and we are dealing with fires this time of year. But this year we have had rain rain and more rain, I can't remember the last time this place was this green. Today was cold and rainy all day here, last total I heard was 3.4 inches today, and more on the way tonight. Just to the south of us in the SW part of the state and over towards OKC they were predicting an outbreak of tornadoes today. I know there were a couple touched down about an hour south of here but haven't heard any more recent reports

IMG_0160.JPG

IMG_0162.JPG

• Like 3

ebinmaine

@Professor1990

Beautiful rainbows!

Stay safe as you can if a twisty runs by...

adsm08

Yesterday was nice, sunny, a little humid, and pretty windy in the afternoon. The boy and I took the canoe out to the lake and did some vegan fishing around 1. About 3:30 on our way back the wind was so bad that I couldn't keep us heading toward the dock. The front end was too light and I couldn't get us turned into the wind, I couldn't even turn us with the wind and go backwards.

That was after monsoon weather Sunday night.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Nice and sunny here in Portland today. Mid-fifties for temperature I guess.

Quite breezy. That's good for drying things out.

Not very much rain at all for us in the next 9 days forecast. I hope that works true.

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, adsm08 said:

Yesterday was nice, sunny, a little humid, and pretty windy in the afternoon. The boy and I took the canoe out to the lake and did some vegan fishing around 1. About 3:30 on our way back the wind was so bad that I couldn't keep us heading toward the dock. The front end was too light and I couldn't get us turned into the wind, I couldn't even turn us with the wind and go backwards.

That was after monsoon weather Sunday night.

Years ago I had a great-uncle that taught me a neat trick.

He had a motorboat that was probably 14 or 16 ft. Big enough that he could not really row it effectively when the motor died.

He enjoyed catching shad out of the Connecticut River. He would start downstream and motor up so that if something went wrong he could float back downstream

• Like 1

Darb1964

Forty nine in Peru Ma now breeze, yesterday wet early then humid ,tried to do some tilling got my c125_8 stuck. gave up going out to pull her out soon.

Darb1964

Old boy I hunted deer with in Vermont years ago told me, after I dragged my buck for five hours up hill to get him out, hunt uphill young man drag down hill.good advice.

19richie66

91* today, 75% humidity and love bugs in full swing. These things are horrible. Definitely something I will not miss. Trying to finish painting the house but they are all over it and anything that moves. Front of my truck is covered with them. I’ll be glad when lovebug season is done.

82BDBA65-C6DC-4327-AB8F-44BB2654C3BD.jpeg

B0636327-89DA-45BA-9E7D-E9EA6E352690.jpeg

77C330AF-821B-43B6-B2B6-EF1B6A9E8CBC.jpeg

• Like 2

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

love bugs

winter can kind of suck sometimes but we don't have that kind of stuff up here.

:handgestures-thumbupright:

cleat

Just blackflies now.

Mosquito's will begin soon.

adsm08
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Years ago I had a great-uncle that taught me a neat trick.

He had a motorboat that was probably 14 or 16 ft. Big enough that he could not really row it effectively when the motor died.

He enjoyed catching shad out of the Connecticut River. He would start downstream and motor up so that if something went wrong he could float back downstream

That trick does work well, and I use it when I can. I used to do that all the time when I fished the West Branch, but my troller wasn't really strong enough to move me upstream if the river got going.

Unfortunately the two lakes that I frequent it doesn't work well. The one we were at yesterday, my preferred launching dock is at the head of the current through the lake. The other launch is too busy and the bed too steep for me to easily get the canoe in and out of the water by myself.

I don't usually have much trouble, but the wind yesterday just wanted to push me all over.

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
6 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

:rolleyes: Would love to visit this place Bryce. 

http://www.shattuckwindmillmuseum.org/

Neat to see someone so far away has taken notice of our windmills. It has been fun growing up in the area and watching that museum continue to grow. I can remember as a young boy when there was just two or three mills there. We have a great group of volunteers here locally that keep it up throughout the year, as well as several that come in from all corners of the country for the annual Work-Week. It’s always interesting to hear all their stories every morning at the cafe for breakfast while they’re here. I was just talking with one of the local volunteers about the museum the other day while putting new tires on his truck, about possibly volunteering some of my own time to help out around there. He and I both agreed we need to get some of the younger townspeople involved, seems like every year we lose one or two more of the original volunteers. 

One of these days when it’s nice weather and I have a bit of time I’ll go up there and snap some pictures to share with y’all, the museum is only a block up the road from the RV park I’m parked in.

• Like 1

Stormin

Sunny Tee shirt day again. 70F - 20C. Had a day out and a drive round ending up in Caldbeck, where John Peel is buried, on the edge of the Lake District.

John Peel was a Cumbrian huntsman, made famous in the song, 'Do You Ken John Peel'.

ztnoo

It just keeps raining, and raining, and raining here.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Gas+City&state=IN&site=IWX&lat=40.4892&lon=-85.6077#.VNKYzZUg99A

When I went to the first day of the Portland Swap and Sell which is 35 miles to the east, not one field between my place and Portland had been worked this spring.

Too wet for the machinery, and you can't till when its wet because of severe compaction issues.

Heard rumor yesterday a few fields somewhere south of Muncie have had tillage and planting. That would still be at least in the area of 35-40 miles away.

If so, that small area was probably due to randomly less rainfall, and perhaps very well ditched ground.

The closer we get to June 1, the less likely guys will be planting corn because of the length of time required for crop maturity, but planting is all based on the rain stopping and things drying out.

Guys already bought their seed corn and have it in storage and ready to go.

Now they may be forced to switch to soybeans (shorter growing season), thus effectually at least doubling the input costs.

If it quit today, it would take a least a week of 75-80F temps and winds of 20-30 mph for the guys to have a prayer of doing anything.

The weather situation here is putting even more stress on producers who already deal with large amounts of stress during a normal growing season.

Other places like Iowa and Nebraska are in a similar situation.

A seasonal yield well below the average could really effect the costs of lots of things longer term. Potentially a pretty ugly and widespread negative scene financially.

I'm headed to northeast Indy (60 miles south) in the morning to buy a mower deck shell.

I'll report back what I see on my drive there and back.

• Like 1

ztnoo
On 5/21/2019 at 1:10 PM, Professor1990 said:

Looks like an interesting place, but its been 8 years since the website was updated.

Maybe the Webmaster fell off a platform........:confusion-seeingstars:

• Haha 1

Stormin

Been another sunny day. But a stiff breeze has kept the temp down. Still Tee shirt weather though. Could have some rain from Saturday night onward. Typical for a late May Bank Holiday. And we were going to have a family BBQ. Could be a quiet weekend instead. :D

• Like 1

adsm08

Well they were calling for rain, hail, damaging winds, tornado-like activity and the like today, so yesterday I busted hump to get my outdoor work done, and as much stuff under cover and safe as I could.

So it has been sunny, 70ish all day except for a little rain for an hour around 2.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Made a nice 300 mile or so loop up through the White Mountains of New Hampshire and Maine today for work. Some absolutely stunning views up there. I would live there in a heartbeat.

Average temperature was probably around sixty or so and mostly cloudy was just a couple sprinkles here and there but nothing serious.

Hoping to have a salvageable weekend with not much rain.

r356c

Lovebugs. If you drive through a swarm, don't try to use your windshield wipers to clear the mess.

I can always tell a newbie 18 wheeler driver to Florida by the smeared lovebugs on their windshield.

The damn things are attracted to internal combustion engine exhaust fumes. They love highways! And the color white as Ritchie's photos show.

Wikipedia:

Because airborne lovebugs can exist in enormous numbers near highways, they die in large numbers on automobile windshields, hoods, and radiator grills when the vehicles travel at high speeds. If left for more than an hour or two, the remains become extremely difficult to remove. Their body chemistry has a nearly neutral 6.5 pH but may become acidic at 4.25 pH if left on the car for a day.[2] In the past, the acidity of the dead adult body, especially the female's egg masses, often resulted in pits and etches in automotive paint and chrome if not quickly removed.[9] However, advances in automotive paints and protective coatings have reduced this threat significantly. Now the greatest concern is excessive clogging of vehicle radiator air passages by the bodies of the adults, with a reduction of the cooling effect on engines, and the obstruction of windshields when the remains of the adults and egg masses are smeared on the glass.[2]

Edited by r356c

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, r356c said:

Lovebugs

Boy they sound "lovely"....

Really too bad we don't have em.

Stormin

Not T-shirt weather today. Dull, cold and rain imminent . :( Typical North of England Bank Holiday weekend.  

ebinmaine

Looking forward to a decent weekend here.

Possible thunder storms tommorow but otherwise looks good through Monday.